Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 21st March 2014

Liked 737 Times in 493 Posts
Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

After reporting a truly awful day of lockups to Olympus three weeks ago (I already had a problem thread open with them) they agreed that it needed replacing. Rather than send it back and wait for a new one I spoke to London Camera Exchange, where I bought it. They spoke to their Oly rep and he agreed (I have no idea whether arm-twisting was involved ) and they got a newer 12-40 kit in. I went and swapped this morning. Serial number is a lot higher so it looks as if it could be from a newer batch.

I've tried a few shots with a few lenses and it has behaved, so it will get baptised in anger at the next rugby match. I may be kidding myself but the shutter seems to sound quite different on this one. It's going to be hard photographing the action with fingers crossed while simultaneously stroking the rabbit's foot, but hey, you do what you must.

This post might look familiar - I've copied it to the other two threads we are currently running on this.

Ciao ... John
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (21st March 2014), dh202 (21st March 2014), pvasc (22nd March 2014)
Old 21st March 2014

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

fingers crossed that will sort it for you John (good service by LCE and Olympus)
Old 21st March 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Yes, good service.

After speaking with Mark last weekend, I genuinely believe that Olympus are trying hard to solve the problem. The trouble is the Japanese culture. They won't publicly admit to an issue, or having difficulties sorting it, until they actually have a solution. That doesn't mean they're not working on it.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Liked This Post:
dh202 (21st March 2014)
Old 21st March 2014

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Good point Stephen, I worked with them for many years and you are spot on here
Quote:
They won't publicly admit to an issue, or having difficulties sorting it, until they actually have a solution
(I once spent 6 weeks working in a Yokohama shipyard trying to persuade them we had solved their problem. I was only invited to meet with the top team the day before I returned to the UK as, at that point they had double checked everything I had said and done and finally agreed the problem was indeed solved. Until then I was not recognised as having been in the yard )

Let's hope the answer is found and implemented soon
Old 22nd March 2014
Alpha1

I agree with both Stephen and Brian, but the Japanese are not alone in this. I have met this with German companies too.

Also not all Japanese camera manufacturer's have this policy either. Fuji are well known for their responsiveness to try and meet their customer suggestions and deal with any reported design issues.

Finally it is a matter of marketing risk and this is where statistics play a vital role. If the most reported problem comes from an area of lowest sales, the risk is deemed to me minimal! This factor plays a more important factor when the company concerned is not financially healthy.
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (22nd March 2014)