Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 13th October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,184 Times in 2,488 Posts
Liked 4,545 Times in 2,162 Posts
DXO Film Pack 3 Comparison

Despite all today's whiz-bang digital technology many of us, particularly those of a certain age, still hanker for that "film look" of yesteryear. The skilled amongst us, of which I am not one, are able to make adjustments in pp to emulate their favourite films but it still takes a lot of trial and error until the correct formular is reached. Alternatively there are a number of software programs available with handy pre-sets designed to instantly give the "look" of numerous films, both past and present. DXO is one of the providers and I have recently been trying out their Film Pack 3, which came free with issue 105 of Photoshop Creative magazine.

The program features a number of colour transparency, colour negative and monochrome films, with some other options such as cross processing. To start with I had a look at what can be achieved with some of the transparency films available. I picked a typical outdoor scene with a wide range of colours, in this case a canal scene near Little Venice in London. Here are the results for comparison.

First, my own version processed in Elements

Now the DXO conversions

Kodachrome 64

Generic Kodachrome 64

Fuji Velvia 50

Generic Fuji Velvia 100

Kodachrome 25

Kodachrome 200

Kodak Elite Extracolour 100

Kodak Elite Chrome 400

Kodak Ektachrome 100VS

Generic Kodak Ektachrome 100

Fuji Astia 100F

Generic Fuji Astia 100

Fuji Provia 100F

Fuji Provia 400F

Fuji Provia 400X

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (13th October 2013), Tradetalk (13th October 2013)
Old 13th October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: DXO Film Pack 3 Comparison

My favourites are the Velvias, and your own version. I find the Kodak colours to be too washed out for my tastes.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 13th October 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,626 Times in 938 Posts
Thumbs up Re: DXO Film Pack 3 Comparison

I still cannot get this to run on my systems and the best suggestion I got from DxO Tech Support was "Load DxO Film Pack 4"

Certainly an interesting set for comparison.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 13th October 2013

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

Having shot Kodachrome and then Velvia for years I pp for the look I want rather than trying to match a film look. I wish I could go back and reshoot some of my film shots on digital with its greater dynamic range.

David M's Photoblog
Old 13th October 2013
Administrator

Initially I was puzzled by the "Generic" label applied to some of the options but from reading the manual I understand that these are from earlier versions of the program and less refined than the non-generic options. If that is so, it remains a puzzle why they are still included in the latest package but I'm glad they are because Generic Velvia 100, for example, is to my eye more typical of the Velvia range of films that the Velvia 50 option. The same applies to the Kodachrome 64 and Generic Kodachrome 64 examples.

I have worked extensively with K64 and Velvia in the past, which does give me some form of baseline for comparison, but with many of the other film reconstructions I am unable to comment upon accuracy because I am unfamiliar with the original film stock. All I can do is pick out results that I like or don't like.

My favourite, based soley on this single image, is the Generic K64. I also like the Generic Velvia but it is just a little too highly saturated by comparison. This means that either the DXO representations are not entirely accurate or my own preference for colour intensity has changed from the days when Velvia was my favourite film. My own original processing comes second to the Generic K64, which is perhaps not surprising as I obviously process to my own preferences. What does surprise me is the similarity of my own version to the Generic Astia 100, a film I've always believed to be deliberately subdued and subtle in it's colour pallet.

Kodachrome 25 is a disappointment, although it doesn't of course necessarily accurately represent the original emulsion. Kodachrome 200 is predictably grainy and lacking in saturation. Non of the various Ektachromes, Elite Chromes or Provias particularly impress me, although they do each have their own individuality which may well suit another type of subject. The message seems to be that this program will need much trial and error before I become familiar with it, but how regularly I use it remains to be seen. At least it is quick, easy and user-friendly, which counts for a lot in my book. And it was free!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
My favourites are the Velvias, and your own version. I find the Kodak colours to be too washed out for my tastes.
I was surprised how lifeless the (non generic) Kodachrome looks. However, I still remember well the day I put a set of Velvia's on the light box next to the same images in K64. The Kodachrome died right in front of my eyes, but somehow it's a film for which I still have a great affection. From this brief test I'm inclined to think the DXO generic version of K64 perhaps has the characteristics that some of us like to think the film possessed but in reality maybe not to the degree we think we can remember.

Old 13th October 2013

Out of interest, is there a Fujichrome 50 option? It was the predecessor to Velvia and I always preferred it. My film scanner handles 50 a lot better than Velvia.

David M's Photoblog
Old 13th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I still cannot get this to run on my systems and the best suggestion I got from DxO Tech Support was "Load DxO Film Pack 4"

Certainly an interesting set for comparison.
You must be pulling your hair out by now, Graham. They seem determined to force you to buy a later version!

Old 13th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Having shot Kodachrome and then Velvia for years I pp for the look I want rather than trying to match a film look. I wish I could go back and reshoot some of my film shots on digital with its greater dynamic range.
I totally agree. I suspect when the initial novelty has worn off I will use this software only occasionally, perhaps when I'm having trouble getting the particular look I want when processing a certain image.

Old 13th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Out of interest, is there a Fujichrome 50 option? It was the predecessor to Velvia and I always preferred it. My film scanner handles 50 a lot better than Velvia.
Unfortunately there isn't that option, I would also have liked to see some Agfachrome examples. Maybe they feature in other DXO Filmpack versions. I think it is the contrast of Velvia that makes it difficult to scan. My Epsom V500 will handle it, but somehow not as well as K64 which seems to scan rather nicely.

Old 13th October 2013

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

I am very surprised by the difference between the Kodachrome 25 and 64 renderings. Many years ago I did some side-by side tests of the two films and could detect hardly any difference in the slides save slightly better shadow detail in K25. I'm more interested in the black-and-white conversions though personally. The results with the Delta 3200 setting show very well how far digital has surpassed film at high ISOs!
Old 13th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I am very surprised by the difference between the Kodachrome 25 and 64 renderings. Many years ago I did some side-by side tests of the two films and could detect hardly any difference in the slides save slightly better shadow detail in K25. I'm more interested in the black-and-white conversions though personally. The results with the Delta 3200 setting show very well how far digital has surpassed film at high ISOs!
I think the Generic K64 potrays an exaggerated (but very pleasant) rendition of the film's qualities. The non generic K64 seems to relate more closely to K25, the former having stronger reds but the latter better rendering of greens. I never used K25 all that much, but I seem to remember it was considered to be lower in contrast than K64 with more accurate, neutral colours. I think these DXO representations maybe attempt to emulate the characteristics rather than the true fidelity.

Old 13th October 2013

Thanks for reminding me about Agfachrome. I liked its colour palette for nature shots in the 80's

David M's Photoblog
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (13th October 2013)
Old 13th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me about Agfachrome. I liked its colour palette for nature shots in the 80's
CT18? (18 DIN film speed)

Old 13th October 2013

CT18 and whatever the 200ASA was called. Before Kodak released Kodachrome 200 my high speed film for motorsports was Ektachrome 200 and for nature it was the Agfachrome 200.

David M's Photoblog