Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 30th August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Olympus Application Support – Live View Preview shown at PMA 2008

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ has posted an item (30 August 2012) entitled ‘All the camera world goes into the Application support hype’ saying that Yesterday was one of those days where you clearly see where the camera manufacturers world is moving. After the Mega pixel war, the ISO war, the miniaturization war we now have the Application support battle!

Always envious of other DSLR users able to access (hack) their cameras embedded software and disappointed with lack of additional features, such as live view preview, is it likely that Olympus will have to change?

Below are copies of e-mails exchanged with Olympus Europe regarding live view preview tethering application (See
) that Olympus had shown at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) in 2008.

February 2010 - ‘Live view preview using Olympus Studio was demonstrated by Olympus at PMA 2008. When is it going to be made available?’

Reply - ‘the integration of the Lifeview within the Studio Software as shown on PMA 2008 was a prototype development. This is not integrated into the product and there are no information available if this is planned.
However, the functionality can be realized easily by using a 2nd application that normally comes with the required framegrabber.’

September 2010 - ‘Is there any further news regarding the integration of Liveview within the Studio Software as shown on PMA 2008?It is evident, from the Internet, that many Olympus users are eagerly awaiting the integration of Liveview within the Studio Software and that the alternative methods are not what is required.’

Reply – ‘no, there is no further progress to integrate this feature into Studio Software, sorry.’

As Olympus Studio is no longer sold and is now available free with its key it is unlikely that this software would be used nevertheless perhaps Olympus Master or Viewer could be used instead.

Are you an Olympus camera user eagerly awaiting additional applications such as live view preview?
Old 30th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,557 Times in 2,166 Posts
Re: Olympus Application Support – Live View Preview shown at PMA 2008

I can appreciate how annoying this must be for someone to whom the feature is important, but can't see that I would use it and it's not on my list of priorities.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th August 2012

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

I would use it, to be able to see the liveview image on a computer monitor rather than a 2-3" screen when doing studio macro work would be a very important feature. Why Olympus lag behind in important features like this is beyond me. I can not see this being difficult to accomplish.

Steve
Old 30th August 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

It should be standard on any serious modern camera, the option to use tablets and such in studio work should be easily available.
It's 2012 now! Time is ticking away!
(NEX-5R integration looks interesting in this department.)
Old 30th August 2012

Liked 57 Times in 26 Posts

To be honest, I expected the new full size camera to be doing that wirelessly as standard.
But probobly only with ipads, I'm not sure they would go with any open source kit using android, but it would have been nice.
Old 18th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus Application Support – Live View Preview shown at PMA 2008 _ UPDATE

Pekkapotka in his blog:

http://www.pekkapotka.com

Said:

“I have on Tuesday (18 September 2012) a meeting with Mr. Toshi Terada, who is Manager of SLR Product & Marketing Planning Department at Olympus. There has been so much writing about Olympus FT series future and FT-mFT merger in the internet that now is your chance: be free to send me questions to ask, preferably as comments to this blog. Of course you can ask anything regarding Olympus system cameras FT or mFT. But as you know companies do not tell about future steps and camera models too much in advance. So be realistic in your expectations and think about what to ask if you really want it answered. Also my hands are tied (by me) in what I will write because the better I keep confidentiality the more I will get to know. That´s the name of the game, for me at least.”

So I sent the following question:
Live View Preview using Olympus Studio was demonstrated by Olympus at PMA 2008.
Please ask Mr. Toshi Terada, when is Live View Preview going to be made available?

And following further consideration I sent the following comment:
Further to the above post:
'Live View Preview using Olympus Studio was demonstrated by Olympus at PMA 2008.
Please ask Mr. Toshi Terada, when is Live View Preview going to be made available?'
You can see the demo of of the Live View tethering application shown at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) in 2008 at:

If there are any further developments I will let you know.

Old 18th September 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,626 Times in 938 Posts

I got round this by using a small LCD TV (One of the many on eBay that will no longer work to receive analogue TV)

You can also get a USB "stick" that converts AV into a format that computers will display.

A camera that is EyE-Fi enabled can then transmit the taken image to the computer as well.

Not as elegant as the full WiFi LiveView/Capture that we would like, but a whole lot less expensive that the Nikon system.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 18th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus Application Support – Live View Preview shown at PMA 2008 - UPDATE

Since my post to http://www.pekkapotka.com I’ve sent an email to my contact at olympus-europe.com to ask that if, in the event, Pekka Potka is unable or unwilling to ask the question can he do so instead.

</SPAN>

Also, I should mention that I’ve succeeded in tethering the E-1 and E-420 wirelessly (See post in Accessory Talk titled ‘Wireless tethering solution for the Olympus E-1 and E-420 cameras’) to download pictures but Live View Preview using the E-420 still eludes me.
Old 19th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus Application Support – Live View Preview shown at PMA 2008 - UPDATE

Since my last post I’ve received an encouraging reply from Pekka Potka as follows:

‘Don’t worry, tethered shooting is on my agenda too. I am after all a former advertising photographer and have shot tethered for more than a decade. It was discussed yesterday with Mr. Terada, he was aware of meaning of this issue and wrote something about what I said in his notebook. I am quite sure, there will be a pro OM-D with tethered shooting. Sadly I don’t know when. Just remember: when I say "I am quite sure" means literally that. I am saying, not Olympus.’

If and when I hear of any further developments I will send another post.
Old 13th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pekkapotka has posted a full details of his discussion Toshiyuki Terada, Manager and Group Leader of the Product and Marketing Planning Group from Olympus Imaging Corp, you can read it at - http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2012/10/2/discussion-with-mr-terada.html
As you will see he specifically discussed with Toshiyuki Terada tethered shooting: “Another feature discussed was tethered shooting and camera control from computer. Mr. Terada was aware of the importance of this feature in studio photography.”
If and when I hear of any further developments I will send another post.