Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th October 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-System Pricing

Just been looking at the price of E-System kit direct from Olympus.

http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce...p-521-c-62.htm

The lenses especially seem very expensive, have they increased the price recently? 1300 for a 50-200 seems a bit steep not to mention almost 500 for the 1.4 convertor and over 1000 for the 11-22.

Are Olympus upping the price to kill off the E-System the way they did with the OM system?
Old 11th October 2011

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts
Re: E-System Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
Just been looking at the price of E-System kit direct from Olympus.

http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce...p-521-c-62.htm

The lenses especially seem very expensive, have they increased the price recently? 1300 for a 50-200 seems a bit steep not to mention almost 500 for the 1.4 convertor and over 1000 for the 11-22.

Are Olympus upping the price to kill off the E-System the way they did with the OM system?
Something strange there, these prices are way higher than SRS Microsystems listings.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 11th October 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well SRS prices are certainly better but they still seem pretty expensive, that said I haven't bought anything since the E-420 and IIRC the last lens was quite a bit before that so not having been looking perhaps it's just the VAT increases and so on.

With lenses at that price you'd think they'd release some bodies to put them on. TBH I think Olympus are starting to over estimate their worth, the Pen bodies are outrageous for what they, the E-System always had very good cameras competitively priced compared to competition.

I bought an E-PL2 + 14-42 recently when Jessops were selling them at 299, I took it back for a refund as the handling was dire, worse than my wifes Panasonic FX-150 compact let alone my E-420. To be honest I don't see how the Pens sell at full price, some of the top ones cost more than my E-3.
Old 11th October 2011

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Who knows what the Olympus marketing strategy is with regard to the E-System
With regard to Pen's I think they broadly fall in line with similar competing products in the market place, I certainly don't begrudge Olympus that and would like to see them survive and move forward.
The simple fact is that in business you have to make money to cover your costs, invest (R&D) and bring a smile to your shareholders faces, year after financial year. If you don't we all know what happens.

I'm surprised you found the E-PL2 handling bad, I have one together with VF-2 and love it (including the handling), perhaps I should keep that quiet though.... it will only further the E-Systems' reported demise

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 11th October 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I couldn't get on with the command dial/direction buttoms, I kept changing settings accidently regardless of how I tried to set it up. IMO there's just too much going on in such a small area. An dedicated command dial and exp comp buttom and I may have kept it but in reality there isn't that much difference in size between it and an E-420 once you put them in a pouch and once you add an EVF it's effectively non existant or at least insignificant enough that the cost and compromises make it a non starter for me.

To be honest at take the price of any of the Pen bodies + 200?? for an EVF and how much for a 4/3rds adapter they're overpriced compared to what Olympus have dropped from the E-System range i.e. the E-420/620.