Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 21st May 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts
Sharpening by High Pass Filter

Earlier this evening John (theMusicMan) hosted a very useful live online tutorial on using the High Pass Filter in Photoshop/Elements for sharpening.

It just so happened that I was struggling with an image I'd made today at Hatfield Forest, using my 9-18mm at f11 at ground level to get a (hopefully) dramatic worm's eye view of the buttercups surrounding a large oak. Due to poor focusing technique I had a problem with DOF. Even f11 was insufficient to give DOF from the nearest flower to the tree in the background. I should have either used a smaller aperture (which would have risked degrading the image with diffraction) or weighted my focus so that either the tree was sharp, with deliberately OOF blooms nearest the camera, or made the foreground really sharp at the expense of the tree.

As it was, all I achieved was a rather unsatisfactory compromise where both background and extreme foreground were not quite sharp. Sharpening in Elements using my usual method didn't really work, so I wondered if the High Pass Filter would be more effective. Here are the results:-

Sharpened USM

Sharpened High Pass Filter

If the image is badly OOF no amount of sharpening of any kind will save it. However, in this instance I think it has made an improvement over my usual method. What do you think?

Thanks again, John, for this very useful tutorial.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st May 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts
Re: Sharpening by High Pass Filter

For some reason, the difference between the two is not nearly so obvious now I've posted them on this forum as when I view them side by side in the Windows Photo Gallery on my computer. Any ideas why this should happen?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau