Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 9th October 2019

Liked 173 Times in 117 Posts
Re: Plague on the planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Buses will never cover costs whilst fare paying passengers refuse to use them. Cost and convenience is part of the problem but for some people there is an image problem too.

We somehow need to disentangle perceived wealth and success from driving big cars and flying. If public transport takes me where I want to go and is convenient I will use it, but so many people feel that being seen alighting from a bus makes them look hard-up or unsuccessful so they prefer to follow the bus in their big 4 x 4 just to make themselves feel better. Few people object to using a bus or taking the tube in London so why is it a problem elsewhere?

I regularly travel to London by train and always enjoy it; and yet there are people I know who insist on flying to London because they feel the train is somehow inferior; perhaps because it usually costs less, even though the train is quicker and more reliable, and getting into the city from LHR is a right chew on.
I travel almost everywhere by public transport, home and abroad, mainly by rail.
To be successful it needs to be reliable, safe, clean and affordable.
London is leading the way, the overground rail system is unrecognisable from the shambles it used to be.
Payment system is reasonably priced, simple too with Oyster and Contactless.
Ken Livingstone began the process years ago with the Fares Fair scheme and it's improved ever since.
(Without the Boris Bendy Bus I might add, is that a euphemism I wonder in light of recent allegations)
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 592 Times in 305 Posts

In all fairness, our country and its weather must play an important roll in the use of public transport.

Does anyone want to walk, say, a mile when its throwing it down, or the pavements are icy, to catch a bus when they have no idea if the bus they want to catch will actually show up?

It really is a lottery with the public transport (outside of the center of our universe which is London, that is)

Public transport rarely goes where you want to be unless you catch three buses and spend all morning getting there ..... and that's if a bus actually does go there.

Trains - well, they can only go where there are tracks, same with trams, so unless you are travelling city to city, they are not always a lot of good either.

Other countries have the right idea, they have a fixed fee where you get on the bus and go as far or not as you want on that route (but then again, their weather is good so it works). Our buses are so expensive that it's very often cheaper to go in your car, with the very great advantage of being able to go from where you want to wherever you want .... with no hassle.

Just my two farthings worth.
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 2,541 Times in 1,665 Posts

Yes Keith, but when you get there you need to find somewhere to park, which often costs more than the bus fare, and then walk through the same rain to the town centre which is often some distance away.

The car was convenient at one time when there were only a few million on the roads but with 22 million of the wretched things I find little pleasure in driving nowadays.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 349 Times in 227 Posts

Spot on Keith. Def worth more than 2 farthings

The public transport systems in this country would benefit from a complete overhaul and serious re-thinking.

Jax
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
Keith-369 (10th October 2019)
Old 9th October 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,627 Times in 939 Posts

I live close to an RSPB site where a very rare bird flew in and within an hour or so you could not get anywhere near the place and the roads around it were blocked.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 467 Times in 224 Posts

Just a correction here to make it clear...there is NO public transport in this country, they may offer the public 'transport' but none are owned or run by the general public ie Government.......private bus companies run the system and if you still believe that we have 'Public Transport Buses' then contact the Transport Commissioner for your area as I did and you will be told that they are all run by private companies and as i've already stated they control the timetables (making sure companies have a viable service and it turns up as per timetables ) the buses are roadworthy (MOT'd etc) but do not have any control over whether services are dropped or altered to suit the bus company. I spent a frustrating 1 hour on the phone to help our local parish council sort out the problem.

As far as Bus passes are concerned...in our area the Council are still paying to subsidise the Bus pass, yet they (Bus company) decided to stop our service as only 1 person per day was using the service (they said, but no figures given even tho asked for), they were happy to keep the money but not provide the service.
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 10th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
Just a correction here to make it clear...there is NO public transport in this country, they may offer the public 'transport' but none are owned or run by the general public ie Government.......private bus companies run the system and if you still believe that we have 'Public Transport Buses' then contact the Transport Commissioner for your area as I did and you will be told that they are all run by private companies and as i've already stated they control the timetables (making sure companies have a viable service and it turns up as per timetables ) the buses are roadworthy (MOT'd etc) but do not have any control over whether services are dropped or altered to suit the bus company. I spent a frustrating 1 hour on the phone to help our local parish council sort out the problem.

As far as Bus passes are concerned...in our area the Council are still paying to subsidise the Bus pass, yet they (Bus company) decided to stop our service as only 1 person per day was using the service (they said, but no figures given even tho asked for), they were happy to keep the money but not provide the service.
Bus companies have to apply to the county council if want to scrap a route
Also bus pass subsidies and bus subsidies are two different things.
The pass can be used all over and the cost of subsidising it means no money to finance individual loss making routes.
If only one person or five times that a day were using it you can't blame them for cancelling it.
People wanting transport have to support it, same goes for things like village pubs and shops
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
The house mentioned by Richard on the S & C is also high on my bucket list!
Let me know if you're coming Nigel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Id prefer to be on a preserved railway to know a steam train will be along throughout the day, Id be happy as a pig in....
There are regular weekly steam services on the S&C in the summer months. This web site can help, despite having "diesel" in its URL
http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Didn't think much of the pub, just lucky for them there is no competition.
It has recently changed hands and been refurbished, it was fine when I went there a few weeks ago. It had certainly got run down under the previous ownership. And The Old Hill Inn is only a mile and a half down the road .
https://www.thestationinnribblehead.com/
http://www.oldhillinningleton.co.uk/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (10th October 2019), Tram (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post

Thank you but I doubt if any correction or clarification is necessary. The term "Public Transport" is now widely used to refer to busses, trains, trams etc. in the same way as "Hoover" refers to a vacuum cleaner. I think most are intelligent enough and sufficiently aware to know our transportation systems are now privately owned and operated and have been for many years.

Regarding one person a day using your local bus service, I doubt if any commercial company on the planet, subsidised or not, would continue to run a service in those circumstances and quite rightly so.

Jax
Naughty Nigel (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Thank you but I doubt if any correction or clarification is necessary. The term "Public Transport" is now widely used to refer to busses, trains, trams etc. in the same way as "Hoover" refers to a vacuum cleaner. I think most are intelligent enough and sufficiently aware to know our transportation systems are now privately owned and operated and have been for many years.

Jax
The definition of 'Public Transport' is very simply that it is not private transport and is open to any member of the public who buys a ticket.

In addition to buses, trams and trains, aeroplanes and ferries are also Public Transport.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jax (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Let me know if you're coming Nigel!

There are regular weekly steam services on the S&C in the summer months. This web site can help, despite having "diesel" in its URL
http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html
I have no problem with diesel trains Richard as long as they are not multiple units.

I have a particular fondness for Class 47 and Class 43, even though the latter is strictly a DMU rather than locomotive hauled, but there is some dispute over this.

I will get my anorak!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th October 2019

Quote:
The definition of 'Public Transport' is very simply that it is not private transport and is open to any member of the public who buys a ticket.

In addition to buses, trams and trains, aeroplanes and ferries are also Public Transport.
You expressed that so much better and concisely than I did Nigel

Jax
Naughty Nigel (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
I have no problem with diesel trains Richard as long as they are not multiple units.

I have a particular fondness for Class 47 and Class 43, even though the latter is strictly a DMU rather than locomotive hauled, but there is some dispute over this.

I will get my anorak!
I quite like old diesels as well, my concern was that anyone looking for steam info specifically might not look at a web site that appeared to be diesel-based! I particularly like the Class 43 (HST) and 55 (Deltic), the 43 has been re-engined though so the best bit of it - the noise - has been ruined. The prototype HST power car was at the Worth Valley Railway recently and I was looking forward to hearing the old Valenta scream as it pulled out of Keighley, but sadly the driver didn't properly wind it up. The 37 at the rear was doing most of the work I think.

I drove a 47 two years ago on the Wensleydale Railway which although fun was slightly disappointing inasmuch as basically you just click it into "D" and it goes, just like my car . This was a light engine so it didn't really have to do much, although I did have to open the throttle a bit on an uphill stretch. The instructor warned me to keep the ammeter reading below 20,000 .. .
OM USer (11th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:

I will get my anorak!
Ah class 47, or Brush as they were in the 60s. Are they still in mainline service?
Old 10th October 2019

I like the old DMU's that had a diesel engine underneath and sounded like a bus.
Could sit at the front and if the driver left the blind up see through the windscreen.
Think they might have been Class 105 on the line I rode on as a kid at Stratford.
Went down through the docks and ended at the North Woolwich ferry.