Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st January 2019

Liked 3,378 Times in 1,818 Posts
Laowa 10-18mm (Sony E Only)

It arrived today after spending Christmas in Customs. The lens is available only in Sony E mount but I am looking for ultra-wide angle perspective via my full frame Sony A7R. It may be of interest to Olympus users with one of the A7 series.

Nice, solid build, with no sign of plastic. The rings turn nicely with no slack.

In my excitement I forgot that this was my only Laowa lens which was not Nikon AI. So there was a considerable focus issue until I removed it from the adapter (which it fitted quite well) and attached it directly on the camera!

I wanted it for architectural and landscape work, neither of which are available nearby. The weather is dull and depressing, short of actually raining so it went back in its box.

I may finally get around to using my Formatt Hitech grads on this lens, via the supplied magnetic filter holder.

I decided to look at the prospects for hyperfocal distance, which I used a lot for film landscapes.

The markings on the focus ring, over about a quarter of a turn, go from 0.15 m, through 0.2, 0.25, 0. 3, 04, 0.5, to 1m. Then, turning about as far as from 0.5m to 1m, there is infinity.

It may not be a Nikon mount but the lens rings turn in the same direction as Nikon with infinity to the left and f22 is also there as is the widest zoom position.

Looking to possible macro shots of subjects with deep background perspective, I checked the FOV at 10mm and at the closest focus distance. It was about 30cm wide, offering potential for subjects such as the largest mushrooms.

Harold
drmarkf (1st January 2019), OM USer (1st January 2019), Ulfric M Douglas (3rd January 2019)