Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 18th May 2014

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Lock up today

I arrived in Kenya today for my long awaited safari. Prior to leaving I updated the firmware on my EM-1. Then today it locked up at least 5 times. I was using aperture priority, continuous shooting (low) and every time I took out the battery to reset, it locked up again within seconds. Extremely frustrating as I had had this happen once or twice in the past but not like this. Unfortunately I can't go back on the firmware update so it looks like I have a problem and will have to stick to single shots.

Anyway, not a whinge as I am in Kenya and it is amazing out here....but frustrating
Old 18th May 2014

Liked 1,328 Times in 625 Posts
Re: Lock up today

Sorry to hear the lock-up curse has struck you Anne but I'm envious of your Safari, have a great time and don't forget to share some pics
Old 18th May 2014

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,339 Posts
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,156 Posts

Ditto from me, shame about the lockups, hopefully it wont do it on single shot. Safari...wow.
Old 18th May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Sorry to hear this - sod's law! Have a great time and stay safe.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 18th May 2014

Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,031 Posts
Liked 1,236 Times in 805 Posts

Sorry to hear try leaving the battery out over night, Chris suggested this to me when I had a problem may help.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I arrived in Kenya today for my long awaited safari. Prior to leaving I updated the firmware on my EM-1. Then today it locked up at least 5 times. I was using aperture priority, continuous shooting (low) and every time I took out the battery to reset, it locked up again within seconds. Extremely frustrating as I had had this happen once or twice in the past but not like this. Unfortunately I can't go back on the firmware update so it looks like I have a problem and will have to stick to single shots.

Anyway, not a whinge as I am in Kenya and it is amazing out here....but frustrating
Deep sympathies + some envy.

Is continuous shooting correlated with lockup? I didn't have that impression, but I haven't been taking notes.
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Add me to the list

Hi everyone,
I been reading the other post in this forum regarding the lock up and saw this one and just wanted to tell you have that I have the lock up problem.
The lock up happened yesterday for the first time when I was photographing Brooklyn Half marathon, I live in NY and bought my camera from B&H in person last week. The camera locked up 6-7 times (FW 1.3, lens 1.1, card formatted). Lock up started when for some reason I went to the menu looking for CAF options and turned lens I.S. Priority on. I could solve the lock up by pressing lens release button, which is weird, this worked for the first 4 lock ups after that I had to turn it off and on and after that even turning it off and on did not work so I had to take out the battery then it worked. I read in other forums and this looks to be an ongoing problem.
Unfortunately, and this is my fault, after last couple lock ups where I had I to take the battery out the focus went back to SAF without me paying attention to it so 99% of the pictures where out of focus until I changed it to CAF.
Last night I turned the lens IS off. You may check that setting too under custom setting, you may have it on. I used the camera today between CAF and SAF and got around 350 pictures with no lock up.
I am also having very low success rate with horizontal panning CAF but canít blame the camera yet as I am new to the CAF world but subjects heading direct to the camera are much better, in focus and sharp.
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Anne,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope it either sorts itself with the guidance off the forum, or just decides to behave itself. Hoping it does not cause you to much loss of opportunities while you are have a fantastic time.
All the best . By the way I have not opened the wallet yet. You know what I mean.

See you soon stay safe

Ian
Old 19th May 2014
Alpha1

Bad luck Anne but I do envy you your Safari! Just the time though when you need a reliable camera. I hope that it does not slow you down too much.
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 754 Times in 500 Posts

Unlucky, Anne.

If it's any consolation - the original body I had would work fine for a couple of weeks, then throw a series of wobblers. So with luck your round of lockups has cleared the system and I hope you will be fine for another spell.

As discussed elsewhere, sequence shooting is certainly not the only cause of lockups. I usually shoot single-shot (a habit deeply ingrained from using film when skint) and was "blessed" with many lockups.

I hope you can enjoy the safari anyway and come back with some cracking shots.

John
Old 19th May 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

I had two lock ups yesterday in 800 + frames and all single AF

there seems to be little continuity on this problem
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts

It locked up again this morning, 3 or 4 times? Again I had continuous shooting (low) set and manual focus. I've not got to grips with C AF so don't use it. I also used single shot and I am pretty sure it didn't lock up then. I didn't have these issues prior to the firmware update so I don't know if that has any bearing on the problem. Unfortunately I can't re-install that update (indeed if I can) until I get home just in case that makes a difference. And the reason for my frustration.....

This morning two lions, 15 feet away from us decided to mate. The lock up occurred on the first occasion; fortunately they had another 3 sessions!

These are small jpgs uploaded on my iPad so I think that is why the quality looks poor. Hoping the raw looks better when I get home

The Following User Says Thank You to Anne For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (20th May 2014)
Old 19th May 2014

Liked 1,328 Times in 625 Posts

Ain't it always the way, Murphy always wins

BUT

you look to have some cracking shots there, what a way to start the day
Anne (19th May 2014)
Old 19th May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Lock-ups or no, these two are grrreat!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Anne (19th May 2014)
Old 20th May 2014
Alpha1

Anne, great shots in spite of the lock-ups. It's no wonder male lions spend most of their day time sleeping!! I'm just envious!