Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 4th April 2014

Liked 4,077 Times in 1,504 Posts
Processing in Photoshop CS5

As a new comer to Olympus I have been using the Adobe DNG converter and then CS5 to process my RAW files. I have installed OV3 but not used it yet.
I'm used to Nikon RAWs converted in NX2 to TIFF then played with in CS5. I am pleased how much latitude there is in the Oly RAWs. Is the DNG converter the best way to go or should I start into OV3 as I'm sure Olympus know how to extract the most from their own files?

I have just posted some DNG converted samples here if you want to take a look.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...482#post287482

How do you process your E-M1 files?
Old 4th April 2014

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts
Re: Processing in Photoshop CS5

I use CS4 and the DNG converter with my E-M5. Both that and OV3 do a decent enough job but OV3 is dreadfully slow by comparison, on my computer at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Beagletorque (5th April 2014)
Old 4th April 2014

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post

How do you process your E-M1 files?
Have you considered using Lightroom 5?
It supports E-M1 ORFs and includes the latest version of Adobe RAW file convertor. LR5 might fulfil 99% of your PP requirements and is considerably cheaper & easier to use than CS.

A fully functional 30 day trial download is available at:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...&promoid=DTEML
Old 5th April 2014

Liked 4,077 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Have you considered using Lightroom 5?
It supports E-M1 ORFs and includes the latest version of Adobe RAW file convertor. LR5 might fulfil 99% of your PP requirements and is considerably cheaper & easier to use than CS.

A fully functional 30 day trial download is available at:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...&promoid=DTEML

Thanks for that thought, but as I have CS5 and it does 100% of what I need then spending again on lightroom makes no sense unless it can extract much more from the Raw files.
Old 5th April 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I too am a strong advocate for LR. However, as you're already used to working with PS, your best option would be to convert to DNGs. The raw converter in that is the same as LR, except that I personally think LR is easier to use, having more intuitive controls.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 5th April 2014

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for that thought, but as I have CS5 and it does 100% of what I need then spending again on lightroom makes no sense unless it can extract much more from the Raw files.
so much depends on what you are trying to extract/render and how much processing you are doing where (and that's before the issue of batch and workflow!)

OV3 is clunky but will produce excellent batch jpeg files if you have a lot of memory and a penchant for making coffee slowly

Lightroom is a step up on useability for slightly more demanding work

ACR, which required CS6 for the E-M1, is a delight to work in at all levels but you have to pay attention to many variables to get things right and the creation of preferred profiles is the only real way to avoid lightyears of computer time per file!

I've got all 3 on this machine, and am still trying to decide which to use to deal with a 20 frame x 5 exposure pano taken last week in Madeira. I was going to compare this processed approach with a more simple one based on the same frames and in camera HDR jpegs but some muppet accidentally switched on the x2 DTC and was so busy with what they were doing they didn't notice until too late!
The Following User Says Thank You to photo_owl For This Useful Post:
Beagletorque (6th April 2014)
Old 5th April 2014

Liked 122 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
LR is great for processing photographs, and has the advantage over image editors such as Photoshop that everything is reversible, you don't have to remember to work on a copy. It took a little while to get used to this different way of working but, once you do, you are unlikely to want to go back. You still have to dip into Photoshop or simliar for more complex edits, where you're going to need layers or other more advanced editing techniques, but I find that happens relatively rarely.

The other big advantage of LR is that it is outstanding for organising your work... cataloguing your pictures, publishing to web sites like Flickr, generating slideshows, web galleries etc.

Steve.