Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th November 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Question This Weeks Friday Question

OK - into the lion's den with this one

If you were starting out from scratch with no pre-conceived ideas but knowing what you know now what camera system would you go into ?????

At this point I'll run away and hide

Hec
Old 4th November 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: This Weeks Friday Question

I'd do what I did first time round.
A bit of online research followed by a trip around a few places to see how the cameras feel in my hands.

It's how I ended up with my E-500

The only thing I would say now though is low level light .... but the E30 copes well and the E5 is suppose to be better.
Old 4th November 2011
Kiwi Paul

I did sell all my gear and started again and went to m4/3, I think it's the best solution for what I want out of photography now.

Paul
Old 4th November 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,626 Times in 938 Posts

Start with the end in mind...

If the only way I was viewing my images was on HD TV then I'd not really need anything more than 19201080.

I print upto A3+ so I would need a few more pixels to get the quality I want.

The aspect ratio is also important and I do find myself doing more images at 16:9 and wider so the 4:3 being a "taller" format is not always the best for me.

As IQ is my most important consideration, lens performance is high on my list, along with the field of view.

This all brings me to the conclusion I reached years ago... So I use the right tool for the job. This includes the ergonomics, and interface with the rest of the workflow system.

Smaller & lighter is a huge advantage (as you get older) and a system that can provide all this would be wonderfull. So far, despite looking, I've not seen anything that betters what I have.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 4th November 2011

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

That's a really difficult question, mainly because the pace of development in cameras is so fast; CSCs didn't exist - what 3 years ago?

Also, what does one want out of a camera and can one 'system' do everything?

Personally I bought an E620 a couple of years ago when I wanted to get back into photography and wanted a DSLR (I used to use a Pentax SLR). At the time my main reason for the choice was the relative compact size of the bodies and lenses. I don't regret the choice and still feel the system has many advantages, plus I have invested in quite a bit of quality glass.

But today? The main problem I see is that I have a system that has every appearance of being in a dead end - maybe not a problem to me as I will be quite happy to continue using the system for many years, and I have two bodies in case of major failure.

So would I have made a different choice knowing what I now know? Probably.

What would that choice have been? Honestly don't know; I'm not sold on m4/3rds for my purposes and in terms of other systems - well is there really much to choose between then in terms of ultimate results?

As Nikon embarrasingly had to admit recently - it's not the kit that makes you a good photographer.

Good question for a filthy wet Friday morning though!

Martin
Old 4th November 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,184 Times in 2,488 Posts
Liked 4,545 Times in 2,162 Posts

If I was fitter, stronger and richer I'd probably go for an E-5 and SHG glass, but with plenty of time, money and good health I would also be tempted by a large format camera with a digital back.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th November 2011

Liked 1,000 Times in 382 Posts

I chose Olympus because I had an OM1 and was very pleased with it. I knew nothing about sensor size, noise Etc and went for Oly because when I got a digital camera I knew the glass was good.
Knowing what I know now I probably would have gone for full frame Nikon or medium format with digital back as John writes.
Of course, technology advances quicker than my income. I have a good set of Oly glass and to change systems would be very expensive.
Hindsight is always handy:-)
Old 4th November 2011

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

What I've got now. Although still owning 12 OM primes I could change to a couple of Canon bodies tomorrow and have good glass to go on them.

David M's Photoblog
Old 4th November 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I'm glad my random first DSLR (off the evilbay) was an Olympus e-410, very cheap, sharp kit lens and easily adapted to a manual-focus 50mm.
The only thing I'd do differently would be to immediately buy a 40-150 instead of waiting longer. Most useful lens I own.
G1, my next camera was also the exactly correct choice for me, and then an e-pL1 with VF-2 for the same focusing performance with the Olympus Jpeg perks.

So ... I'd only change the details and timings, not the system. Pretty good situation really.
Old 4th November 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

A year ago, I'd have said Nikon D700, but now... def the E5.

Old 4th November 2011

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts

I don't know if it would be Olympus but I find the flippy-out screen on my E-3 invaluable on many occasionn.
Wish I could afford an E-5!
Find you, if I was loaded and if the 'forthcoming' Canon 5D Mk 3 has such a screen I would be sorely tempted.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 4th November 2011

Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

I know this is not an answer to the OP question but I'm glad Olympus was where I got into DSLR.
It enabled me to get out my old OM lenses, and the digital glass is also second to none for value.

However the biggest bonus has been this forum, that's without a doubt the nicest most helpful one in the whole world wide web

Regards to starting out now knowing what I know: the head says M 4/3, but the heart says I will stay with the E system for as long as I possibily can.
snaarman (4th November 2011)
Old 4th November 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I am quite happy with 4/3rds but would go for a mirrorless system but not necessarily M4/3rds. Before Olympus I had a Leica Digilux II but after a safari trip to Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda I decided I needed a wider focal length range. A Panasonic DMC FZ30 followed but although it had more pixels than the Digilux the IQ didn't compare, so I decided I needed a SLR - Olympus was the obvious choice.
So a full-sized 4/3rds mirrorless job with a full range of lenses available with the same capabilities as my E5 and SHG lenses would do the trick.

David
Old 4th November 2011

Liked 752 Times in 311 Posts

Right now, Olympus works fine for me but I wouldn't necessarily choose Olympus right now if starting from scratch. For one thing, Olympus might not be around in six months time due to all the money they've apparently been funnelling to tattooed advisers. Ever the contrarian, I think if I was starting from scratch right now, I would probably be looking at Pentax.
Old 4th November 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
If you were starting out from scratch with no pre-conceived ideas but knowing what you know now what camera system would you go into ?????
Well I kind of just did. I can't say I didn't have pre-conceived ideas but I do know what I like and am happy with. After I lost my E-3 I spent a week on the internet and a day trawling through the camera shops in Glasgow - admittedly more mileage than anything else. I was quite taken with the Pentax K-7 and K-5 but less so the Canon and Nikons in my price range - they felt plasticky. In the end I bought an E-3 second hand along with a 14-54 and 50-200. Alright it weighs a lot but it oozes build quality. I'd done an ExposurePlot on my existing images and mainly work 30-90mm(35mm equiv.) and iso 100-200.
I'm a happy (but poorer) camper.