Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 21st August 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,155 Posts
Re: A saga turning into a farce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Haha! That's great! Really made my day - thanks Ulfric.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st August 2011

Liked 752 Times in 498 Posts

I've got to be honest here - I would be delighted to come across Zuiko or any other photogs at a craft fair. I would enjoy looking at the photos, and talking photography given half a chance. But I almost certainly wouldn't buy a photo print. If Snaarman was doing some live macro stuff I would be very interested, and would certainly waste his time talking about it, but with a view to "hmm, must try that at home" rather than "must buy one of the prints". I don't have many of my own photos on the walls, and the only other photog to feature is Denis Thorpe with his classic B&W of Hebden Bridge.

I would be much more tempted by a set of cards if I REALLY liked the photos. I would also be a sucker for a well-produced photo book, and willing to pay a reasonable price as long as I could take it away on the spot.

Good luck ... John
Old 21st August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I've got to be honest here - I would be delighted to come across Zuiko or any other photogs at a craft fair. I would enjoy looking at the photos, and talking photography given half a chance. But I almost certainly wouldn't buy a photo print. If Snaarman was doing some live macro stuff I would be very interested, and would certainly waste his time talking about it, but with a view to "hmm, must try that at home" rather than "must buy one of the prints". I don't have many of my own photos on the walls, and the only other photog to feature is Denis Thorpe with his classic B&W of Hebden Bridge.

I would be much more tempted by a set of cards if I REALLY liked the photos. I would also be a sucker for a well-produced photo book, and willing to pay a reasonable price as long as I could take it away on the spot.

Good luck ... John
Thanks John. Paradoxically I think (or at least thought!) that the potential market would most likely be non-photographers, people who may appreciate nice pictures but not take any themselves. Photographer's tend to hang their own pictures on their walls, or one of the classic, iconic photographs - a status mine have yet to reach!

As for the photobook, no problem producing one these days, the problem is the cost! You've got to really want a book to shell out 30 for it, especially when you can get Joe Cornish or David Noton for half that on Amazon.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st August 2011

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

John, have you considered selling at an art shop on a commission basis or do they want too much?

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL

Last edited by BobS; 21st August 2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: An 'o' too little!
Old 21st August 2011

Liked 973 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post

Good luck ... John
I wouldn't expect photographers to buy my prints or cards. It is mainly women that buy my stuff.
But, many times a photographer will eye my stuff up, mentaly comparing his/her efforts with mine it seems. Sometimes they comment, sometimes just drift away.
Zuiko (21st August 2011)
Old 21st August 2011

Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

Is it simply that people don't put photos on their wall at home anymore?

I have decent shots that have personal significance that I'd like on the wall but "the boss" would certainly veto it.

Ulfric - you are a cruel man

'heatingman - another woodturner here!
People comment on how good the stuff I make is, but no one would be even willing to pay the cost of the wood.

The only chance for this stuff (woodturning, photos, whatever) is to sell them in a "I saw you coming " shop ( Copyright Harry Enfield).
Zuiko (21st August 2011)
Old 21st August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
John, have you considered selling at an art shop on a commission basis or do they want too much?
I have just recently sold one through a local gallery, a 16x12 mounted and framed to 20x16, for 45. The gallery take 30% (13.50) which leaves me about 17 profit after taking into account the cost of printing and framing. Hoping to get the cheque tomorrow.

It's not a fortune but if I could play the numbers game it would add up. I had two pictures in this open exhibition, the only photographs amongst approximately 80 pieces of art, and I was the only one to make a sale so it seems that all artists are struggling at the moment. Mine were also the cheapest, an original artwork obviously takes more time and should command a higher price than a photograph which can be printed time and time again. This is the same gallery where I'm due to have my own exclusive exhibition for three weeks next February.

I am planning to get more prints mounted, so I can hopefully distribute them around local galleries and gift shops, but the under-cover market in Chelmsford has been closed for 6 weeks for structural repairs so I can't use my cheap but excellent mounter/framer at the moment.

Old 21st August 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh crumbs, our club had an exhibition a couple of months back and all I sold were a couple of cards. I'd never done anything like it before, was a complete novice. I looked on it as market research and the research said that it's not a good market. Mind you, that might have been due to the low numbers through the door.

Also might have been my lack of skill/low artistic merit/too expensive/too amateur etc etc.

One problem I suspect is that everyone can take a reasonable photo and turn it into cards nowadays, often with significance to their nearest and dearest, so anything sold at 1.50 has to be more visually attractive than the six pack for a quid at the supermarket.

Depressing, huh?

Is it just Essex?
Old 21st August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGruchy View Post
Oh crumbs, our club had an exhibition a couple of months back and all I sold were a couple of cards. I'd never done anything like it before, was a complete novice. I looked on it as market research and the research said that it's not a good market. Mind you, that might have been due to the low numbers through the door.

Also might have been my lack of skill/low artistic merit/too expensive/too amateur etc etc.

One problem I suspect is that everyone can take a reasonable photo and turn it into cards nowadays, often with significance to their nearest and dearest, so anything sold at 1.50 has to be more visually attractive than the six pack for a quid at the supermarket.

Depressing, huh?

Is it just Essex?
Not sure if it's just Essex, but it's certainly depressing!

Old 22nd August 2011

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Judging by the local markets stalls and fairs etc., every Tom, Dick and Betty is making cards these days. Is this due to the telly shopping programmes?

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 22nd August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Judging by the local markets stalls and fairs etc., every Tom, Dick and Betty is making cards these days. Is this due to the telly shopping programmes?
Perhaps that is why nobody buys them, everyone now makes their own!

Old 22nd August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGruchy View Post
O

Is it just Essex?
No, it's the same in Kent.
Old 26th August 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Have read every word of this thread - and I'm now utterly depressed

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said
Old 26th August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallaWolf View Post
Sorry Ceri, I didn't mean to depress you, depression is meant to be my speciality. Anyway, if you want to sell some pictures you might do better than me - could hardly do worse!

Old 26th August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallaWolf View Post
Thing to do is your market research. Ask the right questions, sus out the markets.
I used to try and sell pics that I liked, thats OK but other folk liked other stuff.
I found women liked flowers. Poppies always sell. I sold local views rather than views of the Lake district, local churches did Ok. Animals varied.
Having said that, I was often surprised by what some folk did buy. Stuff I have had for a while, dog eared and someone would love it, I was just glad to get rid of it.

One thing I have done is photograph local school productions.
Take pics at dress rehearsal, pose pics of the main characters, pose pics of support kids, choir, dancers ETC.
Nip down to the local photo shop and get 6 x 4's run off. Turn up on evening when parents are present, sell pics cheap and unmounted. No fuss but because pics are cheap, parents buy.
I have done this a few times and although I wouldn't earn a living, it does bring in the pennies.
Plus, you could get some portrait/wedding bookings too.