Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

View Poll Results: Are you getting fed up with Brexit and should we go back to discussing other things ?
YES - Close the thread 21 47.73%
NO - Keep the debate going on for eternity 23 52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 861 Times in 550 Posts
Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

I seem to recall Farage himself saying before the vote that a "52-48 result would be unfinished business". That's exactly what we have got though because it's in his favour he's shut up about it. I strongly suspect there will be civil unrest anyway.

By the way, the Brexit thread on Alfaowner.com has now reached 9386 posts on 376 pages, and they haven't reached a conclusion either .
Jim Ford (22nd February 2018), Johnheatingman (22nd February 2018), Naughty Nigel (22nd February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

If in a committee of say 10 people plus a chairman there is a debate about moving away from an existing practice, there is a vote on whether to change to a new practice and the vote is 5 for 5 against changing the the chairman is required to vote to maintain the existing practice.

The referendum was badly or imprecisely defined. There should have been a requirement for a minimum turnout of say 65% of eligible voters and 15% majority.

The Brexiteers do not have a proven majority of the population. Hence they do not speak for the country.

I have heard comments on the TV from Brexiteers saying "Now we are out of the EU, whey are the Pakistanis still here"
Old 22nd February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
If the evidence in court was provided by the government, politicians and media it would always be challenged as unreliable. In the case of the referendum, it seems to have been the only evidence provided to the public, as will probably always be the case in any referendum. We either have to accept and live with it, or find a better more acceptable reliable system.
The present system mght be better if it required a minimum margin of (say) 60-40 and a minimum turnout of 80% of the electorate.

I now see DerekW has said pretty much the same thing .
Old 22nd February 2018

Just how much is the current fiasco costing us? If the minimum parameters were not met, that would mean that too few people wanted change. That would be the end of the story and the status quo would remain. Until the next time .
Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 2,272 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
If the evidence in court was provided by the government, politicians and media it would always be challenged as unreliable. In the case of the referendum, it seems to have been the only evidence provided to the public, as will probably always be the case in any referendum. We either have to accept and live with it, or find a better more acceptable reliable system.

John
Evidence given in Court is delivered in a very different way to an election or referendum.
  1. All witnesses are required to swear an oath before giving evidence;
  2. Witnesses are routinely cross examined to establish facts from fiction, in what is a very dry and sterile environment (and difficult to lie in);
  3. Cross examination can take hours or even days, which is very different to giving ten-second sound-bites on radio or television;
  4. Judges can order that a witnesses' evidence is disregarded if they believe the witness is seeking to mislead the Court. (I have seen this happen many times.);
  5. Anyone who lies or deliberately gives false evidence in a Court of Law is liable to be charged with Perjury; a very serious criminal offence which can result in lengthy jail terms!

I have been trying to avoid taking sides on this debate, but I think it will be seen that had this been a trial at Court, "witnesses" from both sides would almost certainly be looking at a spell inside for the "evidence" they have given to date!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
KeithL (22nd February 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (22nd February 2018), Johnheatingman (22nd February 2018), KeithL (22nd February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Yes I certainly read. If we remain will it make any difference ?
So that's the fall back situation for the leavers however bad it gets when we leave - 'It would've been the same if we remained!'

Jim
Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 1,519 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
So that's the fall back situation for the leavers however bad it gets when we leave - 'It would've been the same if we remained!'

Jim
Think you are missing my point.

Jobs will come and go if we remain, as they have whilst we have been members. Being a member does not protect us against global change or EU mis management. Just look at whats happened some of our industries as I pointed out in an earlier post. We have also paid $Billions for the pleasure of losing jobs.

If we leave we save the money we pay out and can use those savings to develop new jobs in expanding market areas or even increase funding for the NHS.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (22nd February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
Equally, the same argument could be used by the Brexiteers.

One thing is sure; leaving won't be made any easier if we ask for a stay of execution.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd February 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Exclamation Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Its referendum time again...

Vote in the "Poll" at the top of the page.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 22nd February 2018

Think Brexiters might be getting through, Remainers are not used to being challenged. and now want to close the thread.

That said, so do I, this one will run forever.

Lets go take pictures

My Flickr
Old 22nd February 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Think you are missing my point.

Jobs will come and go if we remain, as they have whilst we have been members. Being a member does not protect us against global change or EU mis management. Just look at whats happened some of our industries as I pointed out in an earlier post. We have also paid $Billions for the pleasure of losing jobs.

If we leave we save the money we pay out and can use those savings to develop new jobs in expanding market areas or even increase funding for the NHS.
It is my opinion (and it can only be an opinion because our incompetent Government have failed to do any impact assessments) that what we gain in savings from our EU budget contributions will be more than wiped out by lost trade. I really, really hope that you are proved right and I am forced to eat humble pie, but from where I am standing we are about to take a huge gamble on our future prosperity with the odds stacked firmly against us.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Bengeo (22nd February 2018), KeithL (22nd February 2018), Naughty Nigel (22nd February 2018), Otto (22nd February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

But do we have sufficient reliable information to vote whether to keep this thread open?

And if we make the wrong decision can we vote again?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Graham_of_Rainham (22nd February 2018), Johnheatingman (22nd February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It is my opinion (and it can only be an opinion because our incompetent Government have failed to do any impact assessments) that what we gain in savings from our EU budget contributions will be more than wiped out by lost trade. I really, really hope that you are proved right and I am forced to eat humble pie, but from where I am standing we are about to take a huge gamble on our future prosperity with the odds stacked firmly against us.

The UK needs the confidence to go out in the big bad world beyond the EU and fight its corner to make us succeed. We don't need to hang on the shirttails of anyone.

Of course I hope and believe the leavers are right. I certainly won't stop fighting for my country its served me and my family well. Cant say that EU membership has done a single thing that benefits us. When I ask questions on this thread about what the EU will be like going forward no one answers. But they do have answers for what will happen if we leave even thirty years out ! Strange isn't it.

Remainers seem to want the UK to just give up and be a group of subservient regional councils in an undemocratic failing entity that only wants our money and to punish anyone who dares to disagree.

Seen that before in history somewhere .....?

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd February 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
But do we have sufficient reliable information to vote whether to keep this thread open?

And if we make the wrong decision can we vote again?
The question you should be asking is ... what is sufficient, how reliable and what sort of "open" are you considering ?

Of course there can be another vote! Especially if the result is not what is wanted. We can debate the status of the vote, and if it is representative of the membership or just those that voted.

But be quick, as the poll shuts in FIVE days.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Naughty Nigel (23rd February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
The UK needs the confidence to go out in the big bad world beyond the EU and fight its corner to make us succeed. We don't need to hang on the shirttails of anyone.

Of course I hope and believe the leavers are right. I certainly won't stop fighting for my country its served me and my family well. Cant say that EU membership has done a single thing that benefits us. When I ask questions on this thread about what the EU will be like going forward no one answers. But they do have answers for what will happen if we leave even thirty years out ! Strange isn't it.

Remainers seem to want the UK to just give up and be a group of subservient regional councils in an undemocratic failing entity that only wants our money and to punish anyone who dares to disagree.

Seen that before in history somewhere .....?
British firms have not been good at getting business in the EU, which after all IS a free trade area, and is on their doorstep. I wouldn't expect those firms to go to the other side of the world for business if they are too lazy to try to get business that is on their doorstep.

The most important issues though are, for me, that the referendum was a bad joke. Most countries that hold a referendum or vote on a constitutional change - which this effectively is - require that ALL the electorate vote, and that there is at least a 10%, more usually 15% or so, for the status quo to be overturned.

At the same time, if the government had done its job properly, and done its homework BEFORE the vote, and presented FACTS to the voters, then all of us could trust the result. As it is, 36% voted to leave, against 63% that did not, either through voting against, or not voting. That really is a pernicious situation which is not only stoking division and dissent now, but will continue to do so into the future.
Bengeo (23rd February 2018), Otto (22nd February 2018)
Closed Thread