Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 28th May 2016

Liked 902 Times in 410 Posts
Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
A green nettle weevil

Green Nettle weevil by Alf Branch, on Flickr
Alf,

A nice insect. It is a great time to be out seeing many of these weird and wonderful bugs.

As a hobby it is one that has many attractions. I find time flies when you are shooting and even more at home trying to select and pimp up the best ones.

The photography side is balanced by the fascination with nature side. But I do get fed-up at times and ask myself is this it or am I missing something?

What is your motivation and how do you keep it going? Is there anything we could do here together to make it better still?

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (28th May 2016)
Old 28th May 2016

Liked 2,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Alf,

A nice insect. It is a great time to be out seeing many of these weird and wonderful bugs.

As a hobby it is one that has many attractions. I find time flies when you are shooting and even more at home trying to select and pimp up the best ones.

The photography side is balanced by the fascination with nature side. But I do get fed-up at times and ask myself is this it or am I missing something?

What is your motivation and how do you keep it going? Is there anything we could do here together to make it better still?
I was out for a couple of hours today and walked about 800 yards in that time so time does fly as do many of the subjects.

I always wanted to get into macro when started photography 30 years ago but could not afford to and gave up photography for mountain bike racing I could only afford one. Well I probably couldnt afford that.

When I got back into photography I got E-410 twin lens kit cheap I got back into landscapes and I eevetually could afford to try macro which with an E-620 was tough. When I got the E-M1 It just became fun and with help on another forum it has become even more fascinating as I have improved.
I usually set out open minded in what I will shoot except when I shot the mining bees and cuckoo bees as I had seen them and wanted to capture them.
I was obesrving insects today at work (I am not allowed to have a camera at work but dont ask) I saw a wasp I have not seen before and I saw another last year.
I am becoming more and more fascinated by invertibrates as go on big and small.

I am a long way off getting bored.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:
art frames (29th May 2016)
Old 28th May 2016

My first Scorpion fly of the year a male Panorpa communis

Male Scorpion fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A couple of snug spiders

Setting up home together by Alf Branch, on Flickr
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

The Following Users Liked This Post:
art frames (29th May 2016), DavyG (30th May 2016), Yorkie (2nd June 2016)
Old 29th May 2016

Liked 3,422 Times in 1,844 Posts

Damselfly Females by Flash or Mixed Lighting

I have never really worked on mixed lighting. It has been either compulsory flash in camera Manual Mode or Aperture Priority daylight, with no flash. Here I compare the flash only at 1/250 sec (first image) with Aperture Priority 1/160 plus flash TTL (second image). The third image was as for the second one but 1/50. All with EM-1 and Kiron 105mm at f11, ISO 400, hand-held. The first and second images have been cropped significantly laterally.

I believe the species to be Ischnura elegans the Common Bluetail. There are three colour forms of the immature female. The ones here are those which differ from the male. The pink is “C-Type” and the lilac is “A-Type”.

Harold

art frames (29th May 2016), DavyG (30th May 2016), Yorkie (2nd June 2016)
Old 29th May 2016

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Hi Harold, I hope you are keeping well, from a personal perspective I prefer the last image. Although I do Odonata photography I rarely use flash. Mainly because of the reflective problems associated with these subjects. Especially the downy and brilliant emeralds along with demoiselles as the worse examples. I was considering a polariser though.
Kind regards Mike
http://www.wingsofnature.org/
Old 29th May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Hi Harold, I hope you are keeping well, from a personal perspective I prefer the last image. Although I do Odonata photography I rarely use flash. Mainly because of the reflective problems associated with these subjects. Especially the downy and brilliant emeralds along with demoiselles as the worse examples. I was considering a polariser though.
Kind regards Mike
http://www.wingsofnature.org/
Mike,

Good to hear from you. Normally I would use flash for damsels only for close-in portraits, not least because they normally face away from the sun.

Have you seen that I now have the LAOWA 15mm 1:1? I am still learning to use it.

Harold
Old 29th May 2016

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Hi Harold, can you get focus peaking on any of your adapted lenses?
The reason I ask is that I can get focus peaking on my canon lenses and with my sigma Lenses thus far. However I have just purchased the tamron 180mm macro. The choice was weight, price, and optical sharpness. It's strange though that I get focus peaking intermittently with no apparent reason why one second it's working and the next it's not??? I am yet to fathom this conundrum. All lenses are using the metabones T adapter. Any thoughts on this?
Kind regards mike
Old 29th May 2016

Quote:
The reason I ask is that I can get focus peaking on my canon lenses and with my sigma Lenses thus far. However I have just purchased the tamron 180mm macro. The choice was weight, price, and optical sharpness. It's strange though that I get focus peaking intermittently with no apparent reason why one second it's working and the next it's not??? I am yet to fathom this conundrum. All lenses are using the metabones T adapter. Any thoughts on this?
Kind regards mike
I you assign focus peaking to a button it will work.

Old 29th May 2016

Quote:
Kind regards mike
No problem on EM-1, with Kiron 105, right down to 1:1, f16, although you sometimes have to focus back and forth to trigger it. On my reversed HM 40 (6:1 with crop) it is OK at f2.8 (nominal) but at smaller apertures it need good light levels on the subject. I have just checked these at dullish overcast. I have allocated my Fn1 button to it

On my A7R it is almost a nuisance, ever-present.

As I understand it, it is a function of the sensor, not of the lens.

I also believe that the two systems differ considerably in sensitivity and accuracy.

Harold
Old 29th May 2016

Liked 902 Times in 410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
I am a long way off getting bored.
Hi Alf.

I expressed myself badly, what I meant was I enjoy taking the shots, I enjoy developing them and making improvements later. But I wonder if there is something else (beyond simply sharing them here) to make use of them even more to the greater good and increase our interest and enjoyment.

I'd be interested if anyone has found a use for their images to help a charity or something positive in conservation, for example.

The other thing I like to do from time to time is to take pictures with a friend or small group. It is a mixed blessing, you do learn some new ideas and see new places but your focus is less good and it can have an impact on your pictures. But it is a nice extra.

So it isn't being bored just looking for more.

regards

peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 29th May 2016

Liked 1,329 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
What is your motivation and how do you keep it going?
I have this problem with some of my other subjects but not macro bugs, bees and butterflies (I recently gave up Studio work as I realised I was doing because I could but wasn't learning anything new)

With my macro work I'm always looking for new patterns of behaviour, different species and the like and I use the images to produce AV shows for the club and other groups.

I'm also getting a lot of pleasure from providing one to one tuition for club members and others (club members free, others I charge £10 / hour)

I've been doing it for over 12 years now and so far, still find it enthralling
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Old 29th May 2016

Liked 1,350 Times in 803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Hi Alf.

I expressed myself badly, what I meant was I enjoy taking the shots, I enjoy developing them and making improvements later. But I wonder if there is something else (beyond simply sharing them here) to make use of them even more to the greater good and increase our interest and enjoyment.

I'd be interested if anyone has found a use for their images to help a charity or something positive in conservation, for example.

The other thing I like to do from time to time is to take pictures with a friend or small group. It is a mixed blessing, you do learn some new ideas and see new places but your focus is less good and it can have an impact on your pictures. But it is a nice extra.

So it isn't being bored just looking for more.

regards

peter
Motivation can be hard at times. Before usage fees went into free fall my motivation was beating other photographers and getting the sale.

You could donate shots for public information, some of my bird shots are in the visitor center at a provincial park.

David M's Photoblog
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
Old 29th May 2016

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Everyone!

I have finally succumbed and bought myself a 60mm Macro lens to go on my E-M1. I haven't had a proper go with it yet as I need to get an FR-2 so I can use my twin flash on it (but that might get too bulky) so here are a few pictures taken in the garden yesterday with ambient light. The evening light required high iso and larger than normal apertures, but I think that I will get on really well with this lens.

I would be very appreciative if anyone could ID the second insect - I really haven't got a clue what it is. The fly in the first was extremely patient with me, sitting still and blowing bubbles for several minutes (but I didn't manage to get a sharp shot of the bubbles). The fly in the third image was tiny - about 2mm long and it's sitting on a daisy - it's about a 50% crop of a 1:1 shot.

All comments and IDs very welcome, thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
art frames (1st June 2016), bredman (1st June 2016), DavyG (30th May 2016), Yorkie (2nd June 2016)
Old 29th May 2016

Liked 1,350 Times in 803 Posts

The second looks like a Ladybird larvae but don't trust me, I'm going from memory, I don't have any reference books to hand.

David M's Photoblog
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
Ralph Harwood (29th May 2016)
Old 30th May 2016

Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,344 Posts
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,162 Posts

Looks like an excellent start Ralph. Must admit to being tempted by the cash back offers myself.