Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 2nd February 2010
Makonde

New EPL-1

http://www.electronista.com/articles....end.compacts/

Slow progress but cheaper. Does more investment in MFT mean that Oly are going to let normal Four Thirds fester, or are we going to get a new high-end E3 successor soon? We think we should be told, Ian!
Old 3rd February 2010
Paulpp

Re: New EPL-1

I agree!
As for the EPL-1 I am having some difficulties seeing the differences. Obviously price, and a flash, and simpler (?) menus and exposure settings, but have I missed something? Basically where does it sit alongside the E-P1/2?
Old 3rd February 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 1,705 Times in 772 Posts

Don't forget FTU at http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/02/f...l1_preview.php

The E-PL1 is basically a cheaper, simpler, Pen. It's plastic instead of metal, smaller screen, no wheels or dials, just buttons, no digital level, in-body mono mic (though it can be stereo enabled), 1/2000th maximum shutter speed, but it does retain the sensor shift IS, ISO up to 6400, and it can use the VF-2 EVF from the E-P2.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 3rd February 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Thumbs up Re: New EPL-1

The big improvement has to be the flash and its ability to control the FL-xxR

Lighter, easier to use, I expect image quality is the same...

What's not to like

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 3rd February 2010
Administrator

Liked 507 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
The big improvement has to be the flash and its ability to control the FL-xxR

Lighter, easier to use, I expect image quality is the same...

What's not to like
I agree that with inbuilt flash and the EFV that came with the last model it seems to have for there now and is starting to look like a really good compact option.

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 4th February 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

And now they're finally bringing out a good set of lenses....

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 4th February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it me or olympus are using the same stupid strategy in keeping alot of similar camera in their camera lineup

E620 and the E600, literally the same camera with different firmware and a 200 difference

E420 and E450 same camera but one's got an art filter... hmmm ...

With the price of E600 the same or in some case cheaper than E450...

... emm ... .... don't know which one to go for ... ...

Now with the micro four thirds...

EP1, EP2 and EPL1 all has the same image quality... ... but wait... ...

one came out too soon... so no 'real' viewfinder

... ......people complained then they brought out EP2

Panasonic bought out GF1 with a built in flash... ...
..... .... people complained then they brought out EPL1

... ok lets pretend....

If I wanted one of these then I would say... ... hmm... I would miss my viewfinder from my DSLR so I'll go for EP2, but then I would like an option for a flash so just incase I needed one. I'll go for EPL1 since the image quality is the same.

Bugger now I would like to have a wheel dial cause pressing the plastic buttons all the time when I'm changing the aperture really annoys me. So what would I do, I'll just get the Panasonic GF1 which has everything Horray

I dont get it, why can'y Olympus get it right, people would be interested in Pen over Panasonic because of its built in Image Stabiliser but why make all the silly mistakes.
Old 5th February 2010
Makonde

..... because they've been rushing to meet marketing deadlines and adding bits later they should have added for the initial splash. Like Microsoft forced the pace on Vista, later marketing as win 7 what Vista 'should have been.'

My worry remains that in piling all their resources now into Micro FT, those of us waiting for a successor to the E3 which takes the qualities of that camera much further, will be left hanging out to dry.... Ian, what is the position? Olympus' silence on this point is deafening, ominous. Are we to have no flagship, only frigates? I'm not buying any more Oly equipment until I see the way ahead.
Old 5th February 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
..... because they've been rushing to meet marketing deadlines and adding bits later they should have added for the initial splash. Like Microsoft forced the pace on Vista, later marketing as win 7 what Vista 'should have been.'

My worry remains that in piling all their resources now into Micro FT, those of us waiting for a successor to the E3 which takes the qualities of that camera much further, will be left hanging out to dry.... Ian, what is the position? Olympus' silence on this point is deafening, ominous. Are we to have no flagship, only frigates? I'm not buying any more Oly equipment until I see the way ahead.
Unfortunately I'm sure that even Ian isn't privy to that type of sensitive information. It's not that he won't help on this one - he can't.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post

Well - my reaction was much the same when mFT was announced - but since then we have had several new FT cameras, although not much on the lens front (but there again the range is fairly complete).

I'm rather hoping that Olympus will surprise us with something rather 'special' as the E-3 replacement. A road map - well that doesn't seem to be the Olympus way.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk