Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 23rd June 2009

Liked 1,630 Times in 1,042 Posts
Depth of Field Preview with Live View?

Someone posted the following on dpreview:

"One genius feature that you likely haven't thought about ;-) is that on the E3, you can focus on a 10x enlarged patch that can be moved around. The genius in this is, that you can (with product-shots for example) move this to a blurred part after focusing, and press the DoF button **while still zoomed in** and judge DoF on a NOT-darkened LV image...fan-tas-tic."

Now I would find this very useful, but it doesn't work for me. I can zoom in with live view to (say) 5x, but when I press the Depth of View button, the display reverts to 1x.

Can anyone confirm that it works?

Jim
Old 23rd June 2009

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts
Re: Depth of Field Preview with Live View?

Not for me with software @1.4

Thought I'd try it on my nice new E-620, got it out of the bag and remembered there's no DOF button, ho hum.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 23rd June 2009

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Someone posted the following on dpreview:

"One genius feature that you likely haven't thought about ;-) is that on the E3, you can focus on a 10x enlarged patch that can be moved around. The genius in this is, that you can (with product-shots for example) move this to a blurred part after focusing, and press the DoF button **while still zoomed in** and judge DoF on a NOT-darkened LV image...fan-tas-tic."

Now I would find this very useful, but it doesn't work for me. I can zoom in with live view to (say) 5x, but when I press the Depth of View button, the display reverts to 1x.

Can anyone confirm that it works?

Jim

DOF button reverts to 1x as well for me on my E-3. DOF looks to default to the standard information display rather than the enlarged display.
Old 23rd June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

behaves exactly that way for me too, maybe the only way to clear it up is to ask the person who posted the comment?

forgive me for asking, but in what kind of shooting situation would you find it useful? in the playing about I did to check this out, I couldnt help thinking that the depth of field preview was more useful in the 1x live view rather than zoomed in, it's behaviour seemed quite logical to me.
Old 23rd June 2009

Liked 1,630 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelavis View Post
behaves exactly that way for me too, maybe the only way to clear it up is to ask the person who posted the comment?
They don't reveal their email.

Quote:
forgive me for asking, but in what kind of shooting situation would you find it useful?
For macro work, where you want to ensure that the subject is as sharp as possible from front to back.

Jim