Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 26th April 2009
glenachulish

Classic viewpoint for Buachaille Eite Mor

Kind of what it says on the tin. Could have done with more snow on the peak, more obvious ice in the river (it was icy but it's not that obvious in the picture) and an earlier start to get more angular light, but I'd been at Lohan na h-Achlaise earlier and the light there wasn't great.

Old 28th April 2009

Liked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Classic viewpoint for Buachaille Eite Mor

Thank you for posting this. Sorry I did not answer sooner but I've not been on the site for a couple of days.
A couple of things come to mind when the image first opens.
Hmm nice shot but is it level and is it overexposed.
There's something about the brightness level of the sky that does not work for me. I did load it into ps and have a play and I will say the image looks good with exposure and contrast adjustments.
I have a couple of questions as well about your choice of location. Did you walk along the river bank on the side the photo is taken from or wade across from the other side.
Also did you walk any further on the opposite bank down stream around the bend in the river.
I would be interested in seeing any other photos you took on the day from here and from Lochan na h-Achlaise.
If you have not been around the bend in the river and have a chance to go back, there is a nice location close by.
Just had a look at your website, both Michelle and I think you have some awesome photos, truly stunning galleries.

Keep up the good work
Steve
www.SteveRoughleyPhotography.com
Old 2nd May 2009
glenachulish

Hi Steve

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Straightened the photo and processed it using a trial version of Nik Software Color Efex Pro to add a bit more punch to the sky while retaining warmth elsewhere: what do you reckon?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showph...at//ppuser/268

I took the pic from the right hand side of the river, wandering down that side. A bit of bog hopping. Thanks for the tip about round the corner - will try that in future. There's also a popular spot accessed from the Glen Etive road - park by a bridge over the river a couple of hundred metres down the road and follow the trail rightwards. I'd like to find a good viewpoint from further up the road towards Glencoe, when the true nature of the cliffs is apparent - Crowberry Tower visible in profile, etc.

Thanks for the nice comments. Visited your website - some fabulous images. I particularly liked the image of the Buachaille on the front page - just awesome.
Old 2nd May 2009

Liked 48 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Classic viewpoint for Buachaille Etive Mor

Hi
Yep the image looks better now, maybe a tad over tilted but definitely better.
When you say popular spot do you mean this one or a different place.

If not could you give some more details on the location. I'm always craving new places to shoot from.
If you do mean this location I think there are some more falls a bit further upstream but I've never investigated them as I'm not sure if the 11-22 is wide enough when you get that close to the mountain.
I've never seen the falls but I've seen photos. Can't remember the link now.
I never could work out exactly where they were. At one time I thought they were on the other side of the main road but not sure.
You are really lucky living nearer to these locations I can only dream of living in the Highlands.

Steve
www.SteveRoughleyPhotography.com
Old 2nd May 2009
glenachulish

That's the spot! Lots of other fantastic hills to take pics of in the Highlands. Keep up the good work.
C