Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus' OM-D model aimed squarely at professional photographers

Old 1st February 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 1,705 Times in 772 Posts
E-M1X thoughts and excellent Dave Etchells video

When word first started filtering through about the E-M1X I admit I got a bit distracted by the fixed grip design. I decided some time ago that I, personally, didn't need a battery grip any more. So the fact that the E-M1X had a permanent one was an immediate negative.

The permanent grip, to me, was a signal that this camera was an E-M1 Mark II for professionals, particularly press and sports, as well as wildlife photographers, and that's good - just not a camera aimed at me and possibly not one for your average prosumer either.

The integrated grip is still not something I need or want and I do hope an E-M1 Mark III, with the option of a separate grip, but with most of the nice new features of the E-M1X, is in the pipeline.

I am very pleased that Olympus has (as I was discussing not long ago) expanded its in-camera multi-image camera processing for the 'neutral density filter' and handheld enhanced resolution modes. And of course, AI is now being used for the deep-learning (or should that be deep-learned ) AF tracking modes.

It's also great to see USB-C in-camera charging, and 45W, too - again a feature that some phones have pioneered.

The camera looks great and is very reassuring in terms of Olympus design and engineering capabilities. Now we just need all that goodness to be recognised by professional photographers and turned into healthy sales.

And if you haven't watched Dave Etchell's (Imaging Resource) excellent walk-through video on the E-M1X, I highly recommend you have a look:

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
bassman (2nd February 2019), catkins (1st February 2019), Graham_of_Rainham (2nd February 2019), Melaka (1st February 2019), Olybirder (1st February 2019), OM USer (1st February 2019), pault (1st February 2019), Phill D (2nd February 2019), Shaw (1st February 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
BDennis (10th February 2019), Bengeo (1st February 2019), drmarkf (1st February 2019), Gate Keeper (10th February 2019), Graham_of_Rainham (2nd February 2019), pault (1st February 2019), Phill D (2nd February 2019), Ross the fiddler (2nd February 2019), steverh (1st February 2019)
Old 2nd February 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 1,705 Times in 772 Posts
Re: E-M1X thoughts and excellent Dave Etchells video

Out of interest, how many here think the non-removable battery grip is a deal breaker?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 2nd February 2019

Thanked 1,415 Times in 1,306 Posts
Liked 2,345 Times in 1,116 Posts

Certainly I do until I actually handle one that is

That's a good well explained video Ian thanks for posting the link. Like you I think I'll wait for some of the tech to trickle down to a smaller camera.
Old 2nd February 2019

Liked 1,628 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Out of interest, how many here think the non-removable battery grip is a deal breaker?
I guess that as pros. are used to carrying a lot of gear around, it wouldn't be so for them. For my own part, it's less of a 'deal breaker' than the price!

Jim
Old 2nd February 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

It's a deal-breaker for me Ian. I'd love the hand hand hi-res and the Live ND, but not in a body this size.

I know it's a controversial topic, but for me this body is antithetical to the m43 ethos. If this was the only m43 option then the system as a whole would not interest me.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Internaut (11th February 2019), Simon Bee (10th February 2019)
Old 2nd February 2019

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts

Deal breaker...certainly.

BUT....after watching the video....it looks beautiful....I want one.

Deal breaker...NO.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (2nd February 2019)
Old 2nd February 2019

Liked 3,642 Times in 1,684 Posts

Quote:

Ian
As I don't use the add on grip for the EM1 ii, I personally don't have a use for it. But can understand professional wildlife and adventure type pro's might well like it. I was impressed how it made a portrait orientated photo possibly easier and more natural to use. Not for me, but I am near the bottom of the pile....

My Flickr
Old 2nd February 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:

Ian
I have the battery grip on my one all the time, as I did with the E3.

Having had a 1-2-1 hands on the ergonomics suit me very well, as does having the B on the mode dial.

There will be many features that I may never use, but like having a fisheye lens, itís great to have when you want it.

I liked the feel of the camera and the deeper grip was a big improvement. the controls felt very positive and the front & back wheels are better placed.

Selectable focus point grouping, that rotate when you switch orientation is very good.

It will need a full day of ďplayĒ and a tethered session for me to finally decide, but itís certainly being considered as a future replacement.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 2nd February 2019

Liked 231 Times in 146 Posts

I agree with your initial comment that this is a 'pro' camera and, as such, is not for me - any more than Nikon D5 and Canon 1D are. I have a grip for my E-M1-ii and never use it!
If it enables Olympus to explore 'state of the art' features, which can then trickle down to other models, it will be a good thing. Even better, if some features find their way into firmware updates for existing models
One indication of whether the E-M1X hits its target market of pro sports and wildlife photographers will be if Sigma make their tele lenses available in MFT mount.
Old 2nd February 2019

Liked 1,271 Times in 725 Posts

Currently a dealbreaker (especially at the opening price), although I’m waiting to see how good it really is at BIF after a year or two of firmware and AI updates and what the price is then.

If it is by then proven to be in D500/A9 or better BIF territory, I would strongly consider swapping one of my E-M1ii for one, bearing in mind the practical handling pluses and the other, more personally peripheral advantages.

Of course by then we might have had an E-M1iii announcement...

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 2nd February 2019

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Mixed feelings even if I could afford one.
At that size it would have to be specifically for shooting wildlife, BIFS in particular. The thought of the camera with the newly announced zoom or with the 300 + converters is very appealing. The icing on the cake would be if (when?) they bring out CAF + tracking for BIFS.

However for any other use I would not use the camera as too big and bulky for carrying around for general use. I would take my EM-1mkII with me instead.
So in my real world it is just not going to happen but then I am not their target group. How many pros would be willing to drop their full frame cameras in favour of this Olympus camera remains to be seen.
My main hope is that some of the firmware stuff becomes available for my EM-1 mkII and even more for the eventual EM1-mkIII whenever that comes out.
One to dream about then and yes I would love one for certain uses.
Old 2nd February 2019

Liked 728 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:

Ian
I do. Not just the grip, the whole larger size of the body means that I can't hold it comfortably. I also wouldn't be able to fit it into the bags I use these days and would feel all those extra grams when cycling up the hill to the rugby club!

I'm quite happy to carry on with the E-M1 Mk II (without grip - now that we have a decent battery power gauge I don't feel any need for it) for another year or so until the new tech percolates down into a smaller body.

It's a bit of a relief really. Normally going and handling a new model prompts a GAS attack. In this case it did the opposite.

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (2nd February 2019)
Old 2nd February 2019

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,133 Times in 1,140 Posts

Having the portrait grip included is not an issue for me, although I could use the E-M1 Mk II for those occasions for small & compact, without a grip (but with an Arca-Swiss baseplate). Essentially, using this E-M1X camera means you’re likely to have two or three lenses with it & so a suitable bag would be used whereas the former (with a single lens) can be taken with something much smaller, but one could compliment the other depending on the occasion.

I’m going for a hands on this Thursday so maybe I’ll change my mind or I’ll be overcome with GAS.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2nd February 2019

Liked 546 Times in 187 Posts

When it was first rumoured I was disappointed to see the built in grip as I moved to m4/3 to use lighter gear. But I tried it out at SRS last week and it handled very well with the telephoto lenses. With one battery it is 350g more than the Mk2 but it is still lighter than the new Panasonic 50mm f1.4 !!

I also like the extra buttons and their layout. I used the option in the Mk 1 to invoke a MySet / Custom mode from a button - I'm pleased that has been returned with this model.

I'll keep my Mk2 for when I want to go smaller and lighter, but I'm looking forward to trying this one with my longer lenses.
Old 2nd February 2019

Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,435 Posts
Liked 1,423 Times in 906 Posts

For me its a deal breaker - but then the E-M5 is my sweet spot (OM4Ti size) and even the E-M1 is too big, has a too deep body grip, and the shutter button is not on the top plate but on the sloping part of the that grip, all of which means that I can not hold it comfortably. I have the battery grip for the E-M5 but only put it on once just to see that it all worked. Just before I got the E-M5 I looked at the Olympus DSLRs and decided the E-5 was too big (exact same reasons) and the E-630 would have to do but was a bit behind the times (hence my decision to go with the E-M5).

For the many people who don't leave the house without attaching the grip, then the extra couple of millimeters in the E-M1X is not an issue. Olympus have a great camera in the E-M1X and the well heeled Olympus MFT prosumers and those heavily into sports and BIFS will lap it up. Whether it will get many converts remains to be seen but I suspect some trekking wildlife experts may like the smaller overall system size when the new zoom lenses come out.

I think the E-M1X is a worthy addition to the range of MFT cameras (just as are some of the Panasonic video oriented ones), but if the technology does not appear in the next iteration of the other lines (so E-M1iii and E-M5iii and PEN-Fii or whatever) then existing users will feel that Olympus is not going to look after them, that they are being left behind, and they will jump ship. So, if Olympus are not careful, rather than the new camera adding new users it may well result in customers leaving.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Bruce Clarke (3rd February 2019), drmarkf (3rd February 2019), Gate Keeper (10th February 2019), pault (10th February 2019)