Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 16th July 2015

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Re: GX8 rumours - 20Mp sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Whoa - that's expensive! If it's like other Panasonic cameras though, it'll be 500 within a year.
That was my first thought too...
Old 16th July 2015

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

That Wex ad links through to some trial images http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/...sample-gallery

And there's a longer intro on dpreview, including some hastily translated Japlish! http://www.dpreview.com/articles/527...e-leap-to-20mp

Yes, the vf/screen options are nice but not quite there for me for the same reason as Paul, but the body shape and dial layout look excellent (I.e. They've copied the E-M1).

We need to see some proper image comparisons by one of the top reviewers really to judge the new sensor (Cameralabs preferably) but it looks hopeful. There's already some contradictions between early reports and announcements on the performance vs the E-M1 both for high ISO and for image stabilisation, so I recommend people hang on for now! That dual system looks good, and is surely likely also to be in the mkII E-M1 which would be nice for us Panasonic lens users.

CA is listed last in all the announcements and reviews, which suggests to me there isn't much to shout about (even if it is '200%' better than the GX7), but for anyone with an interest in 4K video this does look like a serious piece of kit.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 16th July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Thanks for posting that Ian. It looks a very interesting camera. I'm particularly interested to see the noise and DR results. If they are a step up and the new EM1 MK ii has a similar improved sensor then I'll probably spring for one (EM1 that is). The side flipping screen isn't to my taste though - I often shoot from the waist with the screen flipped horizontal and doing that with a side-flip screen means making the body effectively twice as wide; cumbersome and less discreet. I really hope they don't do the same with the EM1 mk ii. Dual IBIS looks intriguing, but I'm finding it hard to believe it could beat the EM5 mk ii!
I will post some samples (JPEG as there is no RAW converter yet) later today but they will be down-sized to 8 megapixels at the request of Panasonic (pre-production cameras). I did a crude back to back comparison with an E-M1 at high ISO. It looks good at a glance.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 16th July 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

The features associated with 4k technology are interesting. Having used pre-recording function on my mju the ability to "catch" the action is really useful and at 4k, provided the exposure speed is high enough, the end results should be good.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 16th July 2015

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts

http://photobyrichard.com/reviewbyri...ix-gx8-review/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave in Wales For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (16th July 2015), Olybirder (16th July 2015), sdb123 (16th July 2015)
Old 16th July 2015

That's a useful, real-life review, thanks.

The little snippet on cont. AF is actually quite optimistic: it's good to see the system repeatedly locking on to the cyclist's face even if it does repeatedly lose it again. I suspect that does represent an improvement over any prior m4/3 camera, although the Sony 6000 would still be laughing.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 16th July 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

"the inbody image stabiliser can’t be used for videos"

I find that quite surprising. I don't do video very often, but when I do the OMD's stabilser is a real advantage.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 17th July 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

Gordon Laing's (Cameralabs) preview is up.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_GX8/

This is what he has to say about the sensor (which isn't much yet):

Quote:
I'm not allowed to share full resolution sample images from the pre-production GX8 I shot with, but I did run through the entire ISO range in low light and can tell you the images up to 1600 ISO looked very clean and usable. Beyond this, noise and reduction artefacts began to creep in
My emphasis. For me this is really, really, really disappointing since it sounds no better than where we are today. A 12% resolution uplift (as 16 to 20Mp is in linear terms) is hardly likely to be meaningful for any of us.

I've been hoping (and to some degree assuming) that the next gen u43 sensors would improve noise at moderate ISOs, but it seems this isn't to be. Indeed, this is exactly the point that Gordon makes too:

Quote:
As someone who shoots Micro Four Thirds for much of my personal work, I'm actually happy with the existing 16 Megapixels and would have preferred sensor development to either lower noise or embed phase-detect AF points.
I hope that Oly does a better job with its next camera since I fear if we're not going to get better noise control then I might be dipping my toe into something else - but I've got so much investment in u43 lenses that it's a step I really would like to avoid.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 17th July 2015

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

I'm with you and the reviewer there, Paul, although my high ISO ambitions are somewhat greater because I shoot a lot in poor light. I'm not looking for ISO 10 million, but I have had to use ISO 6400 in real-life situations (sometimes at f/2!) and would probably have gone a bit further had quality allowed. There is a lot of scope for improvement at those levels.

Like you, I don't see an extra 4Mpix as significant.

John
Old 17th July 2015

There's no way I'd switch systems in the near or medium term.

This is partly down to my m4/3 lens and other accessory investment, and partly because I'm basically content with the E-M1's performance and handling in the areas of photography I mainly practice. I'll do more motorsports and attempt BIF if the mkII is up to it, but that's all.

The mkI will still work, and will remain a lot better than I am in every department except CA and CA+TR

Where will you go?

I also have a Fuji X100T and I have borrowed an X-Pro1 for a day: although the X100T is a great hair-shirt street tool (if you see what I mean!) the Fuji system has its own baggage, just different from m4/3.

So, you'd be complaining about single autofocus speed compared to all current m4/3 camera bodies, and its only in the very latest release of Lightroom that support for their sensor has been correct and you don't get mushy greens with odd artefacts. Some of the ergonomics are persistently daft - why the heck do they stick with those awful on-off switches that get knocked every time you remove or replace the camera in your bag, and why is the right hand side of some of the bodies so awkward to hold? No IS either, or weather sealing. I haven't tried serious CA +/- tracking, but I can't imagine it's any better. The lens choice is now getting reasonably good, but still not a patch on m4/3.

Having said all that, of course, they have got a lot right with dial controls, excellent viewfinders and decent high ISO support (but IMHO only 1 stop faster than the E-M1, and did I mention the lack of IS...).

Sony? Great, but where's all the glass?

Think carefully, gentlemen!

Too much Oly gear.
Old 17th July 2015

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts

It's not the quantity of pixels that counts, it's the quality. I find my E-M5's 16MP perfectly adequate and I agree that better high-ISO quality would be more desirable than more pixels. More MP means bigger files, slower processing and more HDD space.