Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 31st January 2015
Ivor

Re: Come back E-3, all is forgiven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Rice is a good alternative.
That's a Good recommendation for an alternative to silica gel, just don't use Ambrosia!

Good luck with drying it out. If the E-3 was as good as my E-5 I can understand where you are coming from in this weather.
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and advice, guys.

It seems to be OK this morning, after a shaky start. When I first turned it on the camera instantly focused itself and took a shot. It repeated this behaviour every time I turned it off, then on again. After the camera had taken this unintended initial shot, I found the half-press function of the shutter button didn't work - a half press focussed and took the shot, rather than just locking focus.

I've now got it functioning as it should, after "working in" the button by continually pressing it in single shot mode and holding it down for long bursts in drive mode. I reckon there was still a bit of moisture lingering under the shutter button.

I'm very relieved that it's now working, but it does mean that I can never trust this camera again if there is even a hint of rain or snow.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts

That's a shame - weather sealing was one of the things that almost made me get an EM5 rather than an EM10...

On the other hand, my EM10 survived 40 minutes in pretty soggy rain as I walked through London the other day - no probs at all.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (1st February 2015)
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Good to hear it's up a running again John.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

I'm also pleased to read that it's back to normal-ish!
The half press instant picture capture is a menu option, isn't it. Have you done a Ctr-alt-del on the camera, might be worth doing.

Anyone who has worked in the aerospace industry will know the design objective of keeping equipment boxes water tight and letting them breath are at odds with each other. Seal completely and the box will attempt to inflate and deflate with change in at pressure, even if you don't fly we have quite a wide range of pressure changes in the UK - 1936mb (Stornaway 2013) to 1030 or higher - which will stress the seals, possibly to failure. Take your camera flying and you and your equipment will see even wider variation. (Admittedly military aircraft see a higher rate of change than civil aircraft, but commercial A/C have to design for projected extremes, such as rapid decompression.) The solution often in aerospace it to let the equipment breath with drain holes and to conformally coat the electronics (conformal coat is similar to varnish but chemically compatible with circuits).

So, I'm left wondering how 'consumer' grade cameras can claim to be weather sealed. It's remarkable if the claim is true, given the competing design objectives outlined.

on flickr
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I'm also pleased to read that it's back to normal-ish!
The half press instant picture capture is a menu option, isn't it. Have you done a Ctr-alt-del on the camera, might be worth doing.

Anyone who has worked in the aerospace industry will know the design objective of keeping equipment boxes water tight and letting them breath are at odds with each other. Seal completely and the box will attempt to inflate and deflate with change in at pressure, even if you don't fly we have quite a wide range of pressure changes in the UK - 1936mb (Stornaway 2013) to 1030 or higher - which will stress the seals, possibly to failure. Take your camera flying and you and your equipment will see even wider variation. (Admittedly military aircraft see a higher rate of change than civil aircraft, but commercial A/C have to design for projected extremes, such as rapid decompression.) The solution often in aerospace it to let the equipment breath with drain holes and to conformally coat the electronics (conformal coat is similar to varnish but chemically compatible with circuits).

So, I'm left wondering how 'consumer' grade cameras can claim to be weather sealed. It's remarkable if the claim is true, given the competing design objectives outlined.
I suppose the answer is that a seal can be watertight without neccesarily being airtight?

I suspect my problem may have been caused by an internal seal failure, the camera should have handled the conditions yesterday without any issues.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st February 2015

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,138 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Thanks for all the replies and advice, guys.

It seems to be OK this morning, after a shaky start. When I first turned it on the camera instantly focused itself and took a shot. It repeated this behaviour every time I turned it off, then on again. After the camera had taken this unintended initial shot, I found the half-press function of the shutter button didn't work - a half press focussed and took the shot, rather than just locking focus.

I've now got it functioning as it should, after "working in" the button by continually pressing it in single shot mode and holding it down for long bursts in drive mode. I reckon there was still a bit of moisture lingering under the shutter button.

I'm very relieved that it's now working, but it does mean that I can never trust this camera again if there is even a hint of rain or snow.
The above bolded sentence also describes what happens when the HLD-6 battery grip is attached with the switch in Locked position & when the grip's landscape button is pressed inadvertently. It shouldn't, but it does (just like the E3 & E30 with HLD-4 grip). BTW, the E-M1 & HLD-7 doesn't have this problem as it has been addressed.

Back to your issue John, if there was moisture shorting the camera's connector pins in the base (for the grip), maybe that could have been the cause too.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

No I don't think so, the 'needs' are mutually incompatible. True, water droplets have surface tension which may resist slight 'give' in the seal, but water could enter by capillary action. Apart from that, variation in humidity could be a killer if not completely sealed, or if it's not sealed by design and the the circuits are not protected with conformal coat.

Do you think it's worth you doing a general reset?

on flickr
Old 1st February 2015

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,138 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote:
I really wouldn't think so if it is just electrical shorting occurring at the shutter button or associated connectors (USB & battery grip connection point). It may need it if other odd behaviours continue perhaps, but if it is now working OK, then I wouldn't.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

Glad to hear you have your camera back John, with regards to the non confidence regarding sealing, Oly can assess and quote you for a repair, they changed a seal and cleaned my 50-200swd for 60
which I thought was a great price, worth a thought...

Cliff
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I suppose the answer is that a seal can be watertight without neccesarily being airtight?

I suspect my problem may have been caused by an internal seal failure, the camera should have handled the conditions yesterday without any issues.
Glad to hear that an over night dry out has your camera back up and working.

I wonder if the weather caused the seals to shrink a little in the cold and let some moisture in. An excuse to get an EM-5 Mark II?
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
The above bolded sentence also describes what happens when the HLD-6 battery grip is attached with the switch in Locked position & when the grip's landscape button is pressed inadvertently. It shouldn't, but it does (just like the E3 & E30 with HLD-4 grip). BTW, the E-M1 & HLD-7 doesn't have this problem as it has been addressed.

Back to your issue John, if there was moisture shorting the camera's connector pins in the base (for the grip), maybe that could have been the cause too.
I hadn't considered that the problem might be with the grip connector pins on the baseplate. It's certainly something to check if the fault repeats itself.

Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
No I don't think so, the 'needs' are mutually incompatible. True, water droplets have surface tension which may resist slight 'give' in the seal, but water could enter by capillary action. Apart from that, variation in humidity could be a killer if not completely sealed, or if it's not sealed by design and the the circuits are not protected with conformal coat.

I was thinking of doing a general reset but as it now seems to be back to normal and working OK I'm inclined to leave well alone.

Old 1st February 2015

Liked 1,315 Times in 793 Posts

Having used my E-410 in rain, snow and at -20C without a problem I'd suggest a British Rail explanation that it was the wrong type of snow.

In the future I'd treat it as an unsealed camera and keep it under your coat between shots.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Glad to hear you have your camera back John, with regards to the non confidence regarding sealing, Oly can assess and quote you for a repair, they changed a seal and cleaned my 50-200swd for 60
which I thought was a great price, worth a thought...

Cliff
Yes, it's a good thought, Cliff, but I'm in two minds. I don't know for sure that it is a seal for the shutter button, that's just my best guess, so I could pay out 60 or so and be without my camera for a couple of weeks and still not prevent the problem from happening again. In some ways it might have been better if the camera had not recovered; that way the repair centre could have identified exactly what caused the problem.