Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 3rd January 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: How to search files for lens info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
The EXIF doesn't give the maximum focal length, only that at which it was used. This means that the EXIF might show 100mm, which could mean that the image was taken with a 75-300mm lens or a (say) 50-150mm one.

I hope you find the lens OK.

Jim
The "Maker data" file which accompanies the EXIF shows the lens model and serial number. It can be viewed in Exiftool GUI and Dxo Optics Pro includes it with the EXIF when Exporting JPEGs.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 4th January 2015

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
I've got 'Faststone' which is pretty powerful, but don't use it much. I've just had a look and can't see what you suggest. It'll batch convert and rename, but you need to select the images first, rather than the program search for them as well. Just curious!

Jim
Jim that is because Faststone is a image browser program and not a image management program.

ACDSee

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 4th January 2015

Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,308 Posts
Liked 2,345 Times in 1,116 Posts

That exiftool looks to be the essence of what I was looking for but operation is a bit beyond what I've got time/skills for these days. It certainly seems to me that a simpler interface possibly based on this tool would however be very useful to photographers. Something that would allow a simple file view to be shown with a choice of exif info in associated columns. Something that could be searched and graphed to show lens/camera usage, type of shots taken etc the customisable possibilities could be quite wide. Maybe that's available somewhere already? I did find a GUI reference from google but bottled out of opening it to see as I wasn't sure of the origin. I'd say a definite opening for someone with the skills to code something. Anyway back to my problem still not found the lens but I did use Opanda iexif to show me exif data for several images I thought were from the lens and it did actually name the lens used from the exif data. It was file by file though so a bit tedious but I think I've done enough now to know the last time I used the lens was at Donnington Park to shoot the Formula E racing trials. Looks like if I took it to London I didn't use it which was probably the problem. Favourite scenario is that it was taken but wouldn't fit in the small camera bag I took so had to be in the rucksack separately and got left in the hotel room Probably not much chance of recovery now but I'll enquire at least. Fingers crossed. Thanks again everyone for the help.
Old 4th January 2015

Just saw your last post Paul ACDsee looks really interesting think I'll give that a try later anyway thanks.
Old 4th January 2015

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Just saw your last post Paul ACDsee looks really interesting think I'll give that a try later anyway thanks.
I like it Phill it has always been my main management program for many years and you don't have to bother with building previews as it views your images direct.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 4th January 2015

Liked 1,630 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
I use the windows GUI "exiftool" to look at the exif data in my jpgs/orfs. If you select a directory and then select all the files in that directory you can "export" the exif data for all the selected files to a text file (file has the same name as the image file but with .txt extension). You can then search the text file(s) using standard windows tools.

The advantage of this is that all the exif data is exported so its easy to search for a lens (eg: "75-300").

I know this isn't quite what was required as the brief called for a hierarchical directory search. However the GUI exiftool has a command line version and one of the options is:
-r (-recurse) Recursively process subdirectories
which seems to be just the thing you are looking for. I haven't used the command line version but offer it up as something to look into that may meet your needs.
A command line utility is the way to go for this sort of thing, and the above appears to fit the bill for the OP. The job would probably be over and done before a GUI would even be up and running.

Jim
Old 4th January 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
A command line utility is the way to go for this sort of thing, and the above appears to fit the bill for the OP. The job would probably be over and done before a GUI would even be up and running.

Jim
And I repeat, not everyone has the skills, confidence, or desire to develop command line interrogations.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 4th January 2015

Liked 465 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
That exiftool looks to be the essence of what I was looking for but operation is a bit beyond what I've got time/skills for these days. .....
I did find a GUI reference from google but bottled out of opening it to see as I wasn't sure of the origin. I'd say a definite opening for someone with the skills to code something.
Phil,
You should have persevered with the Google search for ExifToolGUI.
It contains a facility to directly show a histogram of the actual focal length vs no of images for a folder (and can also be used recursively). Here is a screenshot of this function:

You can download ExifToolGUI from it's creator's website:
http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/fot...xiftoolgui.htm
or from other reliable download sites such as:-
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABL...fToolGUI.shtml
Note that ExifToolGUI acts as a 'front-end' for the excellent command line utility called ExifTool - which is created and kept up to date by Phil Harvey - so you will need to have this on your PC.
Hope this helps.
Old 4th January 2015

Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,436 Posts
Liked 1,428 Times in 911 Posts

Chris,
Good stuff but my exifgui does not look quite like this and I have no subfolder option (which is why I did not mention this as a solution).

What version of the gui front end are you running? V3.38 ()27/12/2009) is the latest according to the website I would be interested in getting mine to search subdirectories as well.

The chart you are showing is only the focal length used rather than the lens used which is why I think you need to export the exif data to text files and then search them for the lens info.

For focal length , iso, aperture, and shutter speed charts (with subdirectory search) I use the windows "ExposurePlot" toool. Very simple to use.
Old 4th January 2015

Liked 465 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Chris,
Good stuff but my exifgui does not look quite like this and I have no subfolder option (which is why I did not mention this as a solution).

What version of the gui front end are you running? V3.38 ()27/12/2009) is the latest according to the website I would be interested in getting mine to search subdirectories as well.

The chart you are showing is only the focal length used rather than the lens used which is why I think you need to export the exif data to text files and then search them for the lens info.

For focal length , iso, aperture, and shutter speed charts (with subdirectory search) I use the windows "ExposurePlot" toool. Very simple to use.

I'm using ExifToolGUI v5.15.0. Last April when I replaced my PC I found the latest version from a post on the ExifTool forum - which seems to be where info about Bogdan's updates can be found. See here:- http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/f...ic,2750.0.html

One of the things I use ExifToolGUI for is to lookup the FocalDistance at which the AF locked. The results are sometimes rather surprising.

For such things as which lens was used I use the metadata filter in Lightroom - which copes with sub-folders etc.. This doesn't, of course provide a text listing of the relevant image filenames but on the other hand has the possible advantage of showing the results as 'thumbnails'.
OM USer (5th January 2015)
Old 4th January 2015

Thanks Chris that looks interesting I'll have another go myself when I've stopped searching for that lens!
Old 5th January 2015

Chris, thanks for the info on the new version of the GUI.
I tried it but found the recursive directory option is not valid for exif data export.
Old 5th January 2015

Quote:
Does anyone know a good way of searching photo files for what lens was used to take the image? I've been through several folders worth of files so fat pulling up exif info looking at fl to narrow it down but it's pretty tedious and not definitive. Is it possible to just search for the lens used? What I'm trying to do is to find the last time I used my 75-300 lens. Is there an easy way to search files & folders for that lens?
Phil, I tried the command line exiftool windows program. Here is what you need.

First find the exact exif data you wish to find by looking at sample file taken with the lens as the "eq" (equals) qualifier is looking for an exact match.

d:\download\exiftool\exiftool -lensinfo P6260708.ORF
Lens Info : 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3

Then search for all the files where the tag value is the exact value you just found. In this case I am searching the "2012" directory (all the files I took in the year 2012). This command prints out the exif data from all files where the lensinfo tag has the value '12-50mm f/3.5-6.3'. The quotes are important. I have chosen to print out the filename, the lensinfo, and the focal length actually used but you could choose to print out other info. If you do not choose any tags to print out then it will print the info for all the exif tags (about a page per matched file). Here is a sample of the output for my search (no point in printing out the thousands that matched).

d:\download\exiftool\exiftool -lensinfo -filename -focallength -if "$lensinfo eq '12-50mm f/3.5-6.3'" 2012 -r

======== 2012/cambridge_2012/P7060718b2.jpg
File Name : P7060718b2.jpg
Focal Length : 13.0 mm
======== 2012/cambridge_2012/P7060719.JPG
File Name : P7060719.JPG
Focal Length : 16.0 mm
======== 2012/cambridge_2012/P7060719.ORF
File Name : P7060719.ORF
Focal Length : 16.0 mm
======== 2012/cambridge_2012/P7060720.JPG
File Name : P7060720.JPG
Focal Length : 12.0 mm

28 directories scanned
539 files failed condition
3127 image files read
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (5th January 2015)
Old 5th January 2015

Liked 1,630 Times in 1,042 Posts

That looks like the way to go 'OM_USer'

As a matter of interest, how long did it approximately take to read the 3127 files? I'll bet it was much quicker than using a GUI!

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
OM USer (5th January 2015)
Old 5th January 2015

Quote:
As a matter of interest, how long did it approximately take to read the 3127 files? I'll bet it was much quicker than using a GUI!
I was surprised when I flipped back to the DOS window and it was still going but in hindsight three thousand files is going some. I ran it again just for you Jim and it took 3 minutes and 20 seconds.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (5th January 2015)