Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 23rd August 2014

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Kennixston Farm House with an OM2

My OM bodies had a lot of film through them over the decades shooting for editorial and stock. I've wondered if having winders permanently attached contributed to the shutter problems but my original OM4 also had three or four sets of circuit boards and a new viewfinder assembly before I tossed it.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 23rd August 2014

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

How would you describe it, that's a serious question as I would be hard pressed to put it into words. I would imagine a print from the negative direct would be more instructive, compared with the same scene shot in digital. But the film shots shown in your thread have been digitised, how does the resolution compare to a 16M pixel OM5 for instance?

on flickr
Old 24th August 2014

Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts

[QUOTE=cariadus;307205]Thanks Simon. Not sure I could go on a trip like that without taking a camera, at least an XA.

Can you get to it by car, Simon? Looks as though there are only footpath/cycle tracks to it.

Yes I knew I should have taken a camera but my son gave that kind of look…. you know ….. 'don't even think about it if you want some one-to-one time with me'

Car, sadly not, the tracks are good enough but like all forestry commission land these days the start points have locked barrier gates and I guess for good reason too. I remember the days when I could drive through various local forestry tracks but back then ( mid- late 80's ) many stolen cars were often driven up them and set alight. My brother-in-law told me that believe it or not Cwm Wernderi reservoir was often used to 'dispose' of a stolen car, the thieves would drive up the ridge and then push the car over the ridge and down into the reservoir

It's quite a trek ( even by bicycle ) from the parking point above 'Llan' but the views along the way on a good day are simply spectacular. It is possible to walk from the lake at the back of 'Margam Park House' to the reservoir and that route is considerably shorter however you do not get the same vantage points for the views over the Bristol Channel.

Bridgend 'born 'n bred' and never realised such a vista was within five miles of my doorstep

Cheers, Simon
Old 24th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Beautiful B&W shots Roger. There really is something about that lovely tone you've got in them.
Yes Phill I agree with you too, Roger is 'rather good' at getting the best out of XP2. Digital is great too and I would never knock it after all I am rather heavily into it equipment wise. It's just that film has a different look and if you D&P yourself you can get a great sense of achievement in a way I find you don't get with digital.

As much as I enjoy my em1 and associated lenses if I 'had' to choose one form over the other I would choose to keep my film cameras, I "connect" with them more, but that's me….perhaps it's the era I'm from

Regards, Simon
Old 24th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
It's difficult to describe, but there does seems to a 'special' look from film - is it real or my imagination, I'm not sure.
At £5-something a roll, plus processing costs, I am, though, sure that there is more preparation when it comes to pressing the button. I contrast my days with 35mm film compared to digital, it's like a flintlock rifle compared to a Gatling gun!

I agree with you Steve, film does indeed have a "special" look to it, to me it is a 'warmth/atmosphere/character' that digital cannot quite replicate which is a good thing really as it means both forms of capture have their place.

B&W is easy enough to D&P yourself and costs can be kept down that way. Colour is another matter if you want to get it right, and I have always found best left to a 'good' lab of which these days there are few and costs are higher.
Having said that 35mm is positively cheap compared to the cost of 4"x5" or 8"x10" …. you really do have to think before you press the shutter release

Regards, Simon
Old 24th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
Still a magic camera, love the tones in the middle image & atmosphere in the sat image
Same here Pete
Old 24th August 2014

In the late 70's (if memory is correct) there was a choice of the Pentax MX and the OM1 at the 'cheap end of the market', I went the Pentax way and still have a pristine MX with a number of lenses. I also have a Rollei 35LED which would make an ideal 'street' camera.
I'm really tempted to blow the cob webs off and give them a try. I think there's something about having to twiddle all the dials and knobs yourself, with the scene presented via a reflex system. I love the M9 and 240 for that reason (but better for being a rangefinder) it's like driving a manual gearbox rear wheel drive car with a pull up handbrake. You feel more in control than when driving an auto with a switch to apply the parking brake, with 'dull' front wheel drive.
The last time I did my own D+P I used a jobo tank and I loaded the film under the bed sheets at night! I do remember how difficult it was to control temperature during development, and how the negatives had to be hung over the bath and ended up with water streak marks when dry. After that I ditched the home processing and sent my fillms off to the likes of 'bonus print'.
What's the modern way of going about it, I'm keen to give film a go.

on flickr
Old 24th August 2014

Liked 156 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
How would you describe it, that's a serious question as I would be hard pressed to put it into words. I would imagine a print from the negative direct would be more instructive, compared with the same scene shot in digital. But the film shots shown in your thread have been digitised, how does the resolution compare to a 16M pixel OM5 for instance?
I always try to steer clear of the arguments over resolution of film compared to digital. You can end up quoting a lot of figures and going round in circles. To give you some idea, though, the .tiff files from the scans at 2400 dpi on the Epson V500 for those B&W shots were about 14-15Mb. From my Hasselblad the scans are typically about 150Mb. I'm sure you would get much higher figures from a high end scanner, such as an Imacon.

I think it's purely a subjective thing, though. I happen to like the look of film. And of course you can change the look by changing film or development technique. Bored with the images from your camera? Use a different film and get a whole new look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Yes I knew I should have taken a camera but my son gave that kind of look…. you know ….. 'don't even think about it if you want some one-to-one time with me'
That sounds like the look my wife often gives me!

Quote:
Bridgend 'born 'n bred' and never realised such a vista was within five miles of my doorstep
So often we don't explore what's on our doorstep, do we? I'm just the same.

Quote:
Yes Phill I agree with you too, Roger is 'rather good' at getting the best out of XP2.
That's very kind of you to say so.

Quote:
What's the modern way of going about it, I'm keen to give film a go.
I guess the first step is to shoot some film and send it away to get it developed and scanned. When I first got back into film I used peak-imaging.com.

Then I bought a scanner so I could save on the scanning costs. I went for one of the cheapest options, an Epson V500.

Then I bought some kit to develop B&W at home: a changing bag, Paterson tank etc. Then I could develop B&W and scan it, no need for a darkroom.

Next I had a go at colour developing. I jumped straight in the deep end and developed E6 first using a 3 bath Tetenal kit. I still used the stuff that I already had for B&W developing. The only extra thing I needed to buy was a thermometer that could deal with the higher temperatures that colour processing needs. To my surprise my first roll of E6 came out perfect. It's really not as difficult as people would have you believe.

Having cut my teeth on E6, C41 processing was a doddle!

Recently I was given a Jobo CPE2 with a lift and colour developing is really easy. In fact I was teaching my daughter how to do it yesterday. We developed some film that she'd taken on an Olympus Mju1. I bought her the Mju recently for the princely sum of £8.99 and she was using Agfa Vista from Poundland. So the camera and film cost less than £10.

Of course, it would be great to have a darkroom and do my own printing. But these days you can do a lot with film without having a darkroom.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 24th August 2014

Thank you for the time taken to prove such a detailed answer, very informative and helpful.

I've just ordered a V27 PX replacement for my Rollei 35, so will try a roll of B/W and hit the streets. In general I think it's good to think longer and harder before pressing the release, digital is so cheap there's a tendency to press expecting to reject 90%. Film is different and imposes greater discipline, I think.

on flickr
Old 24th August 2014

Liked 156 Times in 78 Posts

Absolutely, Steve, agree 100%. Hope to see your results!

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr