Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th May 2011

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
My limited internet access...

If I don't post or make comments, it's because China seems to be trying to make it's own "intranet" by blocking all foreign servers.

This last few weeks has got worse, and here's a link that provides discussions about it from people over here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...rt-of-comments

Recently, I feel I'm in internet prison. All Chinese pages and chat/social network sites are instant and unaffected. My posts these last few days are only possible when my proxy software breaks through - a rare event nowadays.

To be honest, this is a step too far and our doubts about staying in this country are increasing as the government seems to be getting worse, not better, post Olympic showcasing.

If you read the notes, you will definitely see the paid-for comments from the students and others paid to do so by the Chinese government. In one famous youtube case, a pro-government video on T*bet featuring some obscure (paid) Indian "professor" had over 2,000 positive (chinglish) comments repeating "At last people can see the truth against the western lies..." and similar nationalist/propaganda BS - in 24 hours!

Laughable if it wasn't so tragically sad.

David.
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.
Old 18th May 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: My limited internet access...

Very disturbing, especially as China seems to be the new Russia, buying into all Western companies.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 18th May 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: My limited internet access...

Interesting and sad comments from someone in a position to make informed statements. Unfortunately it serves to reinforce what I already took to be the case but had always hoped was actually a mistaken belief on my part.

Hec