Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 18th July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,272 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: Oly 300 f4 spoiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
Obviously the panaleica is vapour wear as it is just an intention to develop it, the point was the timing of the announcement! It seems more like a Nikon / Canon trick?
Have they ever failed to produce a lens that they announced like this?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th July 2015

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Yea, but at 300mm, the 100-400 will be f5.6 or thereabouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
So will the F4/300 with the 1.4 converter attached.
Paul was comparing max aperture at 300mm.
At 300mm the Oly F4/300 will be F4! (no TC required)
Old 18th July 2015

Liked 3,962 Times in 1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Have they ever failed to produce a lens that they announced like this?

Ian
vapourware

ˈveɪpəwɛː/

noun

COMPUTINGinformal

software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.
Old 18th July 2015

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
So will the F4/300 with the 1.4 converter attached.
f/5.6 @ 420 mm
f/4.0 @ 300 mm sans TC

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 18th July 2015

Liked 3,962 Times in 1,458 Posts

Sorry forgot the happy smiley , just the definition does not mean they won't make it, just purchasers of the 300f4 May wait a little longer. . . .
Old 18th July 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I am sure the Panasonic Leica lens will be excellent but a) it's a zoom (so the optical design is more of a compromise) and b) as previously mentioned, it will be slower (less bright) at 300mm. It will probably be larger and heavier, too. There is plenty of room for both of these lenses in the Micro Four Thirds armoury

Ian
From a wildlife photography point of view a zoom is much more useful than a prime as the size and distance of a subject cannot be predicted and is more often than not a very brief affair. In this context changing lenses is not practical so a zoom is quite likely to be the only way to get the shot you want.

David
The Following Users Liked This Post:
byegad (19th July 2015), Jim Ford (19th July 2015)
Old 19th July 2015
Alpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
From a wildlife photography point of view a zoom is much more useful than a prime as the size and distance of a subject cannot be predicted and is more often than not a very brief affair. In this context changing lenses is not practical so a zoom is quite likely to be the only way to get the shot you want.
David
I totally agree David. In fact I use two e-M1 bodies, one fitted with a wider zoom lens and the other with a long zoom lens. It is surprising how often I have to drop one camera to use the other to shoot at a closer range. I never use primes for shooting wildlife.
The Following User Liked This Post:
byegad (19th July 2015)
Old 19th July 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Another advantage of a zoom is it is easier to find the subject zoomed out, then zoom in to take the shot. I hace used a long prime for birds and if the bird is in a bush it can be very hard to find it before the bird has flown away.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (20th July 2015)
Old 11th September 2015
Alpha1

It looks like it's going to happen and Spring 2016 seems to be a favourite launch date.

New LEICA DG 200-800mm (35mm Equiv.) Zoom Lens Under Development

Panasonic is developing the first LEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3 telephoto zoom lens (35mm camera equivalent: 200-800mm) for the Micro Four Thirds system standard to expand the lineup of DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) digital interchangeable lenses.

The LEICA DG lenses are designed and developed under the stringent quality standard certified by Leica that boast excellent optical performance. Four single focal length LEICA DG lenses have already introduced to the market and have been highly acclaimed by users worldwide.

The new telephoto zoom achieves exceptional imaging performance over the entire zoom range. It also features high speed digital signal exchange at 240 fps to comply with the high-speed, high-precision AF (Auto Focus) with DFD (Depth From Defocus) technology on LUMIX G cameras. Together with the POWER O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer), it lets users to focus on the target quickly to capture crisp, clear images. In addition, the new lens is both light and small and is splash/dust-proof to withstand heavy field use. As the new telephoto zoom lens excels in size and weight, it enables handheld 800mm (35mm camera equivalent) telephoto shooting without using a tripod.

This is what it looks like: http://bdevires.home.xs4all.nl/Image...400mm-lens.jpg
Old 11th September 2015

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

It will probably also be a good idea to wait for real-life test reports of forthcoming long primes and zooms on specific Oly and Pana bodies because of the trick combined sensor- and lens-based stabilisation options that may be available. They may not work across all combinations.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 26th September 2015
Kiwi Paul

400mm @ f6.3 that's a pretty slow lens especially for a focal length that long. With 400mm you will be wanting to use a high shutter speed to avoid motion blur (the IS may counteract camera shake but there's no escaping using high shutter speeds to avoid motion blur). That will mean a high ISO in all but the best light, particularly if the lens needs to be stopped down to perform at it's best.
I'm still favouring the 300mm f4.

Paul
Old 26th September 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
400mm @ f6.3 that's a pretty slow lens especially for a focal length that long. With 400mm you will be wanting to use a high shutter speed to avoid motion blur (the IS may counteract camera shake but there's no escaping using high shutter speeds to avoid motion blur). That will mean a high ISO in all but the best light, particularly if the lens needs to be stopped down to perform at it's best.

Paul
That's an issue with the reduced size and weight associated with M4/3. Even with cutting edge design you still get to the point that larger aperture telephoto lenses will eventually become too unwieldy for the camera, but in this case I don't think f6.3 unnessessarily slow with the latest low noise sensors. I regularly use a 600mm at f8 for birds going up to 16000 ISO without noise that can't be handled with most subjects.

David

David
Old 26th September 2015
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
That's an issue with the reduced size and weight associated with M4/3. Even with cutting edge design you still get to the point that larger aperture telephoto lenses will eventually become too unwieldy for the camera, but in this case I don't think f6.3 unnessessarily slow with the latest low noise sensors. I regularly use a 600mm at f8 for birds going up to 16000 ISO without noise that can't be handled with most subjects.

David

David
True enough about modern sensors being able to handle ISO quite well, I use 5000 without any problems and still get good detail and saturation.
I'm certainly looking forward to the lenses coming out and seeing how they perform. Hopefully the new Pany won't just be a longer version of the 100-300, that is a good lens for the price make no mistake but it's not the most detailed lens at 300mm long distance.

Paul
Old 26th September 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:

Paul
The 300 is f4 at 300 or f5.6 with the converter on which gives 420 at f5.6 so only half a stop difference really. What we don't know is what is the Panny's f stop is at 300. ie is it too an f4 at 300 or slightly slower?
Old 27th September 2015

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
True enough about modern sensors being able to handle ISO quite well, I use 5000 without any problems and still get good detail and saturation.
I'm certainly looking forward to the lenses coming out and seeing how they perform. Hopefully the new Pany won't just be a longer version of the 100-300, that is a good lens for the price make no mistake but it's not the most detailed lens at 300mm long distance.

Paul
That is basically what the Oly 75-300 lens is, a longer version of the 40-150 as the f stop values are the same for the overlapping focal lengths. I wish they had made that lens brighter (f4-5.6), but it is conveniently lightweight for carrying purposes (& compact with my modified 40-150 hood).

I'll be watching how good these lenses perform & maybe I might get something else yet (money & wife allowing).

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).