Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 8th February 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Exploring the E-M5 II's "High Resolution" mode

Personally, I think 16Mp is enough resolution for most photographers' needs. However, improvements in noise would be very welcome from my point of view. Improved DR would be nice too, but I'm not too unhappy about DR on the current sensors TBH.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Greytop (9th February 2015)
Old 9th February 2015

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
INMO, diffraction would only be applicable for the pixel density of the sensor used, but not how multiple images are combined & this is why I think that image would look so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Huw,
The point I was making concerned the actual number of photosensing sites on the image sensor, not the number of pixels in an image formed by combining multiple exposures, since for most photographs neither the camera operator nor the subject cannot be relied on to remain entirely stationary whilst the image is recorded.

Even in the case of the EM-5 high res mode the camera is still behaving as recorder which has the diffraction limitations of a 16Mp sensor. It is also the case that unless this mode is used with the highest quality lenses (i.e. the mZD Pro range) the lens manufacturing variances will probably provide the major constraint on the resulting image quality .

Regarding the imaging-resource.com comparisons, I think these are potentially unreliable since "the default (JPEG) settings" in the pictures are subject to the different manufacturers' variances/preferences in the amounts of built-in sharpening & contrast applied as well as possible differences in Anti-aliasing filters.

None of my comments are intended to belittle the achievement of the image combination technique as offered in the new EM-5 II - it's just that I think this will be of very limited general usefulness.
Agreed, thinking about it of course that makes sense because as you say the composite image is being recorded at 16Mp.
Ah well one can dream

As you also say Chris it's a solution that can only be used when conditions and hardware permit so not of practical use in most scenarios.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (9th February 2015)
Old 9th February 2015

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts

Now it looks like Olympus doesn't get to keep this glory for themselves right now (apart from Hassleblad - H5D).
Quote:
Next week Ricoh/Pentax will have a technical presentation at the CP+ show for a new "super-resolution" technology based on pixel/sensor shift by using the sensor's image stabilization.

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/#ixzz3RD6qyIc7
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 14th March 2015

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Useful and honest update from Steve Gosling in this month's Olympus Magazine.

Quote:
I was hoping the High Resolution mode would work for landscape, but it doesn't unfortunately. If there is anything moving in the frame, it doesn't work and you get a herringbone pattern.
He goes on to say High Resolution model would be incredible for Architecture and still life.

I am wondering if an upgrade of my mark I to a mark II is worth it. I am keen to get the Wi Fi feature but that's about all I will gain for my own personal style.
Old 14th March 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi Olympus also stated that they are working on improving this so that the High Res to work handheld at 1/60th sec now if they crack that Then it is workable, and maybe an update to work on the EM5 II.

Dave
Old 15th March 2015

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

It sounds good but in practice we shall have wait and see. I am not overly impressed with the HD setting on the M1 when I have tried it.
Old 8th June 2015

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Hi Olympus also stated that they are working on improving this so that the High Res to work handheld at 1/60th sec now if they crack that Then it is workable, and maybe an update to work on the EM5 II.

Dave
This may also tie in with the sensor design that Olympus announced that will act something like a Fovenon and capture colour information in two levels at each photo-site.
http://thenewcamera.com/multilayer-s...a-and-olympus/