Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,467 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts
Re: Come back E-3, all is forgiven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Glad to hear that an over night dry out has your camera back up and working.

I wonder if the weather caused the seals to shrink a little in the cold and let some moisture in. An excuse to get an EM-5 Mark II?
Ha ha, I'd love to use that excuse! However, there is no way I could juggle the finances to accomodate that. My best chance of getting a Mark II will be in about 3 years time when second hand bodies sell for about what the original E-M5 does now. I really ought to start saving just a little bit each month.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Having used my E-410 in rain, snow and at -20C without a problem I'd suggest a British Rail explanation that it was the wrong type of snow.

In the future I'd treat it as an unsealed camera and keep it under your coat between shots.
You could be right about the wrong type of snow. When it's -20C the snow is drier and tends not to cling to cold surfaces, but yesterday it was more like +0.5C and the snow was soft and wet, soaking my camera in no time at all.

I think that treating it as an unsealed camera in future is a wise precaution.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

Exactly John, at 0C and above the snow will melt. A few degrees below freezing it will settle on the camera allowing you to shake/brush it off. Just remember not to blow it off as your breath is warm enough to melt it and you risk fogging the viewfinder.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (1st February 2015)
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 464 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I'm very relieved that it's now working, but it does mean that I can never trust this camera again if there is even a hint of rain or snow.
John,
Glad your camera is working again.
I agree that it shouldn't have occurred but don't lose trust in it to the point of not taking it with you in inclement weather - better to have the possibility of getting some interesting photos than the certainty of missing them if you don't take the camera.

It may be that the problem arose because of the low temperature caused a seal to lose it's conformability and let in moisture. In warmer weather it might remain OK.
If/when the problem recurs - temporarily reclaim your daughter's camera while yours goes for a rejuvenating holiday.
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
John,
Glad your camera is working again.
I agree that it shouldn't have occurred but don't lose trust in it to the point of not taking it with you in inclement weather - better to have the possibility of getting some interesting photos than the certainty of missing them if you don't take the camera.

It may be that the problem arose because of the low temperature caused a seal to lose it's conformability and let in moisture. In warmer weather it might remain OK.
If/when the problem recurs - temporarily reclaim your daughter's camera while yours goes for a rejuvenating holiday.
It won't stop me taking pictures in the rain, I'll just use a plastic bag to protect it, like I would with a non-sealed camera.

Old 21st February 2015

Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,479 Posts
Liked 4,316 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
My E-3 and 14-54mm lens were advertized as weather resistant and, like Ronseal, did exactly what it said on the tin. In fact, it survived countless downpours and two direct hits from crashing waves. When doused in sea water I just rinsed the salt off under a running tap and it was good to go again, never missing a beat.

In contrast, my E-M5 and 12-50mm lens failed to cope with half an hour of snow in Cambridge today, locking up and refusing to work at all. The build quality isn't a patch on the E-3.
Very reassuring indeed - and vindicates my choice of an XZ2 over an E-M5 upgrade! + btw -what's rain and snow?

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill