Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 8th February 2015

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
67 or 85mm Hitech Filters?

Ive now decided to stop worrying about trying to use my existing full size lees after seeing the price of Hitechs.
I can get a full set of 67mm (tiny!) for 160!
Soft grads 3 6 9
Hard grads 3 6 9
Reverse 3 6 9
ND 3 6 9
Two rings 52 and 62mm and a holder. Thats just insane.

Im going to order a set of grads so I can check the colour cast. From what I read and Ian says they are ok, blue ish, but cast more stacked.

Im not sure whether to go with 67 or 85mm though. 67 would be great for size, but is there enough to allow positioning and will there be vignetting on a 9-18mm?? I think it would be fine on my 12-40 after playing with a lee holder to see how close I can get it to the edge of the lens before it encroaches, but don't have the 9-18 yet till next week. Anyone any experience?
Old 16th February 2015

Re: 67 or 85mm Hitech Filters?

Just an update. I ordered a set of 67 grads to try. The size is actually ok and despite comments out there about lack of travel for adjustment on length I think they are ok. Slight colour cast but stack 2 and it's quite strong. Too strong for me to want to mess with all the time so they are going back. Biting the bullet and goin with lee seven5. Anyone want to buy a kidney?
Old 16th February 2015

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Yes, I have several Hitecs which are fine except for the colour cast, but as a result I haven't used them recently.

(I'm looking forward to trying the Lees on a Steve Gosling urban photography day I'm doing in May: I'd probably only need a big stopper plus a couple of grads (says he, optimistically) so the cost isn't too astronomical...)

I found the Hitec colour cast difficult to eradicate in LR and Capture One to give a natural-looking image, and big filters are a bit of a faff to use if you can't really rely on the results.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 16th February 2015

Liked 2,768 Times in 949 Posts

I have stuck with 85mm filters and I am switching from Cokin to Formatt Hitech at the moment.
I am also a m4/3 user and was wondering about the new 7-14mm f2.8 (yes I know the currentf4 4/3 lens will not take ordibary filters) as much as anything and I can change over more gradually as I already have some 85mm filters.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 17th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Yes, I have several Hitecs which are fine except for the colour cast, but as a result I haven't used them recently.

(I'm looking forward to trying the Lees on a Steve Gosling urban photography day I'm doing in May: I'd probably only need a big stopper plus a couple of grads (says he, optimistically) so the cost isn't too astronomical...)

I found the Hitec colour cast difficult to eradicate in LR and Capture One to give a natural-looking image, and big filters are a bit of a faff to use if you can't really rely on the results.
There is a dealer in Leeds that that always seems to have stock of Lee, its a 40 min drive but decided to go in person. I know my 100x150 Lees are superb so I anticipate the same with the Seven5. I came away with the holder, rings, a .3, .6 hard grad, .6, .9 soft grad, big stopper and little stopper. I just did a quick test with the big stopper and pleased to say the cast is very neutral, I did a few exposures up to 12 seconds and the colour was very good, slightly blue but its a bright blue sky with blue/grey clouds, a brick wall was pleasingly a red bright wall. I think correction will be just a click. In comparison the 100x100 Hitech big and little stoppers may as well be magenta coloured gels.
Old 17th February 2015

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Yes, the Lee Big Stopper colour cast seems easy to eradicate. I struggled for ages to get the Hitech ones to look natural and gave up except for B&W, which is very limiting.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 17th February 2015

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

http://www.stuartlowphotography.co.u...irecrest-irnd/
a review of the new Hitech firecrest glass 16 stop nd (10 and 6 stop available too). The tester finds them really good compared to the Lee 10 stop. They filters are a bit cheaper, the holders are a sight cheaper!
I have the older 85mm Hitech resin 10 stop nd and find it difficult to get rid of the colour cast as I struggle with photoshop but thinking of getting a 10 stop and grad nd in the 67mm size firecrest.
Wish hitech would show their prices including vat!!
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulB For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (17th February 2015)
Old 17th February 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

If you're thinking of selling your Lee 100s, I might be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philn67 View Post
There is a dealer in Leeds that that always seems to have stock of Lee, its a 40 min drive but decided to go in person. I know my 100x150 Lees are superb so I anticipate the same with the Seven5. I came away with the holder, rings, a .3, .6 hard grad, .6, .9 soft grad, big stopper and little stopper. I just did a quick test with the big stopper and pleased to say the cast is very neutral, I did a few exposures up to 12 seconds and the colour was very good, slightly blue but its a bright blue sky with blue/grey clouds, a brick wall was pleasingly a red bright wall. I think correction will be just a click. In comparison the 100x100 Hitech big and little stoppers may as well be magenta coloured gels.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Philn67 (17th February 2015)
Old 17th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
http://www.stuartlowphotography.co.u...irecrest-irnd/
a review of the new Hitech firecrest glass 16 stop nd (10 and 6 stop available too). The tester finds them really good compared to the Lee 10 stop. They filters are a bit cheaper, the holders are a sight cheaper!
I have the older 85mm Hitech resin 10 stop nd and find it difficult to get rid of the colour cast as I struggle with photoshop but thinking of getting a 10 stop and grad nd in the 67mm size firecrest.
Wish hitech would show their prices including vat!!
I looked at that review before and was quite interested in the firecrest. If you look at the middle image with the Firecrest there is still some magenta cast. At 16 stops it might be a really good performer, but still some magenta. You would think magenta would be easy to correct but I find it a faff, blue seems much easier. Im going to stick with Lee but still want to replace my 100x100 stoppers so please share your thoughts when you get them.
Old 17th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
If you're thinking of selling your Lee 100s, I might be interested.
I don't think I will part with them Stephen I still use them on my canon
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Picked up some Hitech firecrest nd filters in 10 stop (3.0) and 6 stop (1.8) and a couple of firecrest grads today and took them to a beach near the shop to get some shots. I was a bit pushed for time so just parked up and grabbed what was in front of me. If anyone would like the raw files to play with, I'll email them over.
I decided on these over the Lee as the reviews I had seen looked good, they were a bit cheaper overall and the grads are glass not resin (the resin filters I have seem to attract dust like mad). And they're British!
I was a bit disappointed that having e-mailed Hitech over availability of the filters as they were showing a pre-order time of 1-2 weeks that they never replied.
I looked on their site and found a dealer an hours drive from me who was very helpful and had them in shop for me in 3 days. So big thanks to Paul at Cambrian photography in Colwyn Bay.

no filters

10 stop

]
10+6 stop

no filter

10+6 stop

All SOOC jpegs reduced for forum in viewer 3. auto white balance.

sorted the links out - is it just me that right-click to copy doesn't work for when in gallery?? I have to highlight and then use ctrl+c.

Last edited by PaulB; 11th March 2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: links not working