Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 31st July 2008
fulhamphil

East coast sunrise

Hi, I was just trawling through some of my old images and i come across this one which i took last summer on a beach near Sheringham with my old E500, the composition is nothing special but it was worth a shot for the sky,it could probably do with a bit more contrast and saturation in photoshop.
Old 31st July 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: East coast sunrise

Lovely sky, and good boat shot. The trouble is, imo, I don't know which to look at. It could form two separate shots. My simple brain can only look at one focal point at a time

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 31st July 2008

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts

I think I agree with Stephen.

I quite like the shot, but the exposure almost looks 'too good' for me - almost as if fill in flash was used.

It needs more contrast and saturation, and possibly darkening the boat a bit to make it less distracting.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 31st July 2008

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

I do quite like it, but I think I'd go the opposite way and brighten the boat and darken the sky and sea quite a lot...
Old 31st July 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'd move the boat - it will quite never work in that image. Or I'd twist the coastline so the sky ran in a different direction.

The boat makes you read across the picture because it is lying athwart the view. The sky makes you read into the picture.

Great shot - despite what I said I like it.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 31st July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love it okay it could, maybe do with a couple of teeny tweeks, but hey, i think it's cracking as it is.
I love the yellow edge on the boat, as with the lovely warm pinks in the sky leading you out to the remnants of the blue in the sky.

I could look at a print of this shot for hours. Really really like the composition, with the angle of the boat, angle of the rocky shore and spot on horizon. There's a lot of depth to this image, a lot to take in, but I love it, works 120% for me

If i saw this in a shop, it'd be the kind of imagei'd buy to sit and relax looking at after a stressed day at work. Very peaceful feeling radiates from it.

I have an E-500 too and would love to capture shots like this with it
Old 31st July 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

E - 500 sensor is amazing...

Great shot, sky is amazing

Only thing I would say maybe slighty darken the boat a little..

Was this shot in RAW or JPEG? any grads used etc?

Cheers
G
Old 31st July 2008

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post

Cheers
G
Yes, I agree.. My instinct is that this is either a "dark sky and light boat" picture, or a "light sky and dark boat". Either one has the makings of a star shot

Pete H

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 1st August 2008
The Judge

This has the potential to go from being a good shot to being a fantastic shot. But some work is required. The sky needs adjustment especially to areas that are slightly blown, and my suggestion would be to aim for a darker more moodier sky. Next we need to remove the ship on the horizon, there is doubt that it is a ship, maybe it is sensor dust? But you get my drift? The boat should be an added feature but is somewhat distracting, so how about changing the colour of it and cropping the image from the left to bring it right in to the picture. Make the boat work for you! Finally the foreground/background beach area should be adjusted to match your new sky.

Your sentence then, 1 hour in Photoshop.
Old 1st August 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Next we need to remove the ship on the horizon, there is doubt that it is a ship, maybe it is sensor dust? .
Ahh but if you used a E-system camera you'd know it was a ship as dust that big is not a problem for Oly E users.

As to the image A good capture but i tend to agree with most of the other posters.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 1st August 2008
fulhamphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post

Cheers
G
Hi Garrie, thanks for the comments, this was shot in Raw and i did use a cokin 3 stop soft ND grad.
Old 1st August 2008
fulhamphil

Thanks for all the comments, its much appreciated, if my photoshop skills were adequate enough then i would give it a complete rework, perhaps i will store this one away for a rainy day. Susan it was great to read your comment you made me really happy, and i'm sure you are taking great pictures with your E500, hey even the judge was easy on me.
Old 1st August 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I think I agree with Stephen.

I quite like the shot, but the exposure almost looks 'too good' for me - almost as if fill in flash was used.

It needs more contrast and saturation, and possibly darkening the boat a bit to make it less distracting.
I have to agree that the boat is too light and looking at the shadows from the boat, I would have expected these to be more prominent in the foreground. I think this is why the eye is confused by the image and separates it into two images. Having said that I too agree this could be much improved in photoshop.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 1st August 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulhamphil View Post
Hi, I was just trawling through some of my old images and i come across this one which i took last summer on a beach near Sheringham with my old E500, the composition is nothing special but it was worth a shot for the sky,it could probably do with a bit more contrast and saturation in photoshop.
This is a lovely image with gorgeous light, and in the contex of Foto Fair that's all that needs to be said.

However, that almost sells this image short because it is so good it really deserves to be in "Looking For Perfection." There, I could nit-pic a bit (in order, hopefully, for you to get an even better result from this type of situation in future). Please feel free to read no further, but in "Looking For Perfection" this is what I would say:-

There is one aspect of the composition which, unfortunately, jars and somewhat disturbes the tranquil beauty of this scene. The bow of the boat should not intrude above the horizon and, ideally, should have remained below the line of the shingle beach. This could have been achieved by raising the height of the camera. The triangular shapes formed by the sea, beach and boat would then have been in harmony rather than discord, echoing perfectly the dynamic geometry of the clouds that funnel from left to right across the sky. This would have given the added benefit of preventing the yellow prow of the boat from becoming darkened by the ND grad you used on the sky. I also suspect that a 2 stop filter would have been enough, although the 3 stop is not by any means "over the top."

I hope you do not mind me making a "Perfection" critique in Foto Fair but I believe your image justifies it. Apart from the adjustment I mention the composition is inspired, the exposure almost spot on and the planning perfect (or very fortuitous serendipity!)

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd August 2008
fulhamphil

Hi John, thanks for your comments, i'm glad you made them, the point you made about the top of the boat being above the horizon is quite right, and something that i would'nt of thought about in all honestly, this just emphasises what an important learning tool this forum is, regards, Phil.