Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 28th January 2008
smartbox

14-54 w/ macro filters?

Has any gotten successful results with the 14-54 and macro filters? I would like to do a little macro work while I decide which macro lens to purchase. Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks.
Old 28th January 2008
OlyFlyer

Re: 14-54 w/ macro filters?

The macro filters, or diopter converters reduce the working distance between the lens and the subject. The 14-54 has already very short minimum working distance, so I am not sure it would work to a satisfactory degree.

Anyway, to get good results, you'll need high quality lenses. Canon 250D and 500D are supposed to be good ones but what they would cost, I have no idea about. The 14-54 is a huge lens, so I guess it won't be cheap. I know a guy who is using the 50-200 with those lenses and he is getting very nice results. I think if I would use macro converters, I would go for a longer focal length than the 14-54.
Old 28th January 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

I am thinking along the lines of macro. I have the 35mm lens which is very good but hard on the knees, the 14-54 is ok for plants and fungi but I have wondered about the 105mm f2.8 Sigma. I realise that the depth of field will be limited but I think thats the way I'll go cos its quite a reasonable price considering.
Old 28th January 2008

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

Sorry to be pedantic, not really, but the correct term is supplementary(close up) lenses, if you mean lenses that are put in front of the lens on camera. A dioptre is a measurement, not a filter or lens. Close up lenses come in different strengths, as do spectacles, 1 dioptre, 1 1/2 dioptre Etc.
It really does help to use correct terminology, then we all know what we are talking about.
This term seems to have originated in the USA for some reason, but it is not correct.
Cheers, Dave.
Old 28th January 2008
OlyFlyer

Yes sapper, you are absolutely right, but many people use different names for the same thing. 'Macro' is definitely a wrong term unless you really get 'macro' which starts at 1:1 magnification ratio. Anything less than that is just close-up to be absolutely correct. Unfortunately, many people use the wrong terms, but you get used to it. I some times correct those, some times not, depending on my mood and the type of conversation.

BTW, I believe it is very difficult to get 1:1 with a close-up filter in combination with the 14-54, if possible at all.
Old 28th January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not macro but pretty big with 70-300+Sigma Achromatic close up lens. From about 3 feet. 100% image. No processing except resize.