Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 1st January 2008
LeifN

Auto Focus problems

As a new E-510 owner I try to get to know my camera.
But it seems that I have some minor problems with Auto Focus. Under some conditions (dark surroundings or focusing on a white wall) AF fails when pressing shutter half down.
I've tried to change Fn to revert to manual focus - but failed doing it.

So my question is:
  1. How to proceed id AF fails - I've tried to release shutter and press it again - no luck
  2. How do I assign Manual Focus to Fn

Thanks in advance
Old 1st January 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Auto Focus problems

If you are experiencing difficulties focussing, it might be as you explain - because of poor lighting in dark conditions, or when the camera can't find a focus point. This is often called 'hunting' i.e. when the 510 is looking for something upon which to focus and can't find it. The lens is then focussed to infinity and back until a subject is found.

If you can't focus, it could also be due to being too close to the subject with the lens zoomed right in. Try moving back a little or zooming out, picking an object a little further away, then re-focusing. Once you have established the camera is able to focus, try on your subject again.

As for setting Manual focus - this can be done in several ways. The easiest is on the rear viewfinder set the AF Mode to be MF, S-AF+MF or C-AF+MF. The C and S mean Continuous or Single; C will allow the camera to follow a moving object keeping it in focus, and S takes a single auto focus on which it remains focussed.

Hope that helps.

Old 1st January 2008
LeifN

Thank you for a very quick answer.

I've tested by zooming out - and it seemed to help in several occations. In dark surroundings I need to have the flash support turned on.

I've changed setting to S-AF+MF - I assume that it means that I'm able to ajust focus manually - even after a successful AF.

Thanks
Leif
Old 1st January 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

No problem, ah yes, I forgot to mention turning on flash support. This will help in low light, but then the flash will fire.

Yes, S-AF+MF means you can use the single Auto Focus, then also adjust the focus manually too if required.

Old 1st January 2008
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifN View Post
As a new E-510 owner I try to get to know my camera.
But it seems that I have some minor problems with Auto Focus. Under some conditions (dark surroundings or focusing on a white wall) AF fails when pressing shutter half down.
I've tried to change Fn to revert to manual focus - but failed doing it.

So my question is:
  1. How to proceed id AF fails - I've tried to release shutter and press it again - no luck
  2. How do I assign Manual Focus to Fn

Thanks in advance

Also where you say focussing on a white wall - you will not be able to use autofocus on a subject that has no contrast that's how the mechanism works. If you tried a blank wall as a test subject this will not work. An edge on a wall or a downpipe is a suitable test subject

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 1st January 2008
LeifN

Andy,

Exactly what i thought. I was just trying to push it to the egde trying from almost complete darkness to max. light.

As I told I'm a complete novice so I'm trying to get to know my gear and how to handle it in different situations.

I was trying to shoot some portraits on New Years Eve and sometimes the flash just fired forever without any pictures being taken. That was quite embarrasing
Old 1st January 2008
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifN View Post
I was trying to shoot some portraits on New Years Eve and sometimes the flash just fired forever without any pictures being taken. That was quite embarrasing
I have to admit that I've had this on a couple of occasions both on the E510 and on the E500. I've always been in a hurry like you so have never got to the bottom of why this happens.

I've notes that it seems to happen more in apperture priority than one of the shooting modes e.g. portrait. And usually for me a quick change of mode to something like portrait has solved it.

Is there anyone out there who knows anything definitive on this bit of functionality and it's best usage I would appreciate hearing it

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 2nd January 2008

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

Quick question re the flash firing: do you have the Auto Focus illuminator setting switched on? May be it is the flash firing to aid the auto focus.
Old 2nd January 2008
LeifN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Quick question re the flash firing: do you have the Auto Focus illuminator setting switched on? May be it is the flash firing to aid the auto focus.
Your assumption is correct - it flashed to get focus - but failed in getting it.
I wish that it could utilise infrared instead - I wonder if a FL-36 or FL-50 could help with that?