Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 13th February 2014
Floribunda

Escape to Robe

To escape the excessive heat of 40+degrees of this summer, we decided to escape for a few days to the pretty little historic seaside resort of Robe on our state's south-east coast.
Robe was settled in 1802 as a fishing port and its coast has many protected beaches and coves.
This is Hoopers Beach.

Our South Australian Rock Lobsters are found under these rock ledges along the coast and beaches. Presently retailing at A$85/kilo, they are a lucrative export.

Robe is full of early settlers' cottages - we stayed in one - Patsy Ryan Cottage - now a B & B. Very cute and comfortable.
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (13th February 2014)
Old 13th February 2014

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: Escape to Robe

Lovely shots Lyn, looks like a fascinating and relaxing place.

Wonderful to see calm blue seas and sky rather than the damaging waves and gales we have right now.

Warmed me up.

Thanks for sharing.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 13th February 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Super images Lyn and what a lovely little place to stay it is quite amazing how little we NEED to live a refreshing change.

Friends in AUS posted 9 images yesterday and from your own and Marks photos I knew they were at "The Apostles"

They are Guest Judges for a big horse show in Melbourne
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 13th February 2014

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,119 Posts

That looks like a lovely location Lyn. I don't know how you survive those 40+ temperatures but this place would make it a lot easier. My daughter has moved to the coast from Broken Hill & is now enjoying the much more bearable temperatures (& the hard life of living in such terrible place with the water nearby).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 13th February 2014

Liked 376 Times in 109 Posts

What a lovely cottage, Lyn, and the coastal shots are just what we need here in the UK at the moment. We have been very lucky in our area, so far as damage is concerned, but we are heartily sick of the downpours and strong winds - parts of the north east of the country had gusts of over 100 mph last night!

We just touched on the edge of Robe when we were heading down to Mount Gambier for the family wedding. We could have taken a much more direct route from Adelaide but my cousin thought we would like to head down the Coorong - and he was right, it was a great drive.

His son and family (they were the bride and groom in 2001) have booked to visit the UK for seven weeks later in the year and are basing themselves with us for a couple of weeks, as we are the only relatives within striking distance of London.

Regards,
Ann1e
Old 14th February 2014
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Lovely shots Lyn, looks like a fascinating and relaxing place.

Wonderful to see calm blue seas and sky rather than the damaging waves and gales we have right now.

Warmed me up.

Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad these warmed you up Peter - we have been following the floods and bad weather on the TV news and it all looks so depressing. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Super images Lyn and what a lovely little place to stay it is quite amazing how little we NEED to live a refreshing change.

Friends in AUS posted 9 images yesterday and from your own and Marks photos I knew they were at "The Apostles"

They are Guest Judges for a big horse show in Melbourne
One of the enjoyable things about the forum Chevvy is that we see places from all around the world. I have learned so much about your country since joining.
Abd yes - we really don't need huge houses. The cottage was so cosy and minimum housekeeping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
That looks like a lovely location Lyn. I don't know how you survive those 40+ temperatures but this place would make it a lot easier. My daughter has moved to the coast from Broken Hill & is now enjoying the much more bearable temperatures (& the hard life of living in such terrible place with the water nearby).
Robe is a lovely spot Ross. Your daughter must be really enjoying the coast after the dryness of BH. Are they much closer to you now so that you can spend more time with that gorgeous grandson?
Old 14th February 2014
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1e View Post
What a lovely cottage, Lyn, and the coastal shots are just what we need here in the UK at the moment. We have been very lucky in our area, so far as damage is concerned, but we are heartily sick of the downpours and strong winds - parts of the north east of the country had gusts of over 100 mph last night!

We just touched on the edge of Robe when we were heading down to Mount Gambier for the family wedding. We could have taken a much more direct route from Adelaide but my cousin thought we would like to head down the Coorong - and he was right, it was a great drive.

His son and family (they were the bride and groom in 2001) have booked to visit the UK for seven weeks later in the year and are basing themselves with us for a couple of weeks, as we are the only relatives within striking distance of London.

Regards,
Ann1e
Hi Annie - in my second photo you can just see the cars on Long Beach - at the top of the photo. Aptly named as you can drive along this beach for a good 20 miles on firm, white sand to the Coorong. This drive is on our Bucket List to do. We have done sections, but not the whole beach drive. The Coorong suffered terribly during the drought years, but is fine again now and the birds are returning. It is a unique area in our state.
Old 14th February 2014

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
Robe is a lovely spot Ross. Your daughter must be really enjoying the coast after the dryness of BH. Are they much closer to you now so that you can spend more time with that gorgeous grandson?
They're about 10 hours closer now. And we can get to them in less than 3 hours now in Nelsons Bay. Now all we have to do is find the time in our busy lives to get there (but life is very busy in the education world).

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Old 14th February 2014

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,463 Posts
Liked 4,224 Times in 1,920 Posts

I'm still waiting for the bikini shot ...

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 14th February 2014
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
I'm still waiting for the bikini shot ...
Prepare yourself for disappointment - you are going to be waiting a very long time.
Old 14th February 2014

Liked 103 Times in 86 Posts

lovely blue skies, I could do with some of them here Lyn. Always nice to get away for a few days and recharg the batteries. Hope you all had a nice time.
Old 14th February 2014
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjukes View Post
lovely blue skies, I could do with some of them here Lyn. Always nice to get away for a few days and recharg the batteries. Hope you all had a nice time.
Thank you Conor - we did have a lovely break from the heat. Now we have had heavy rain, perhaps autumn and cooler days are not far away.
The original settler, and I guess builder, of the little cottage B&B was a Patrick Ryan - one of your mob!
Towards the south of our state and Southern Victoria there was a lot of settlement by Irish and Scottish immigrants. The cooler climate and green terrain reminded them of home.