Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 2nd September 2008
ndl0071

Landscape or Portrait?

Here are a couple of Sunsets taken on my recent trip to Morocco, they were taken on one of the only evenings that the sun came out to play.
They were captured with the E510 with the kit telephoto 40-150, I had also attached a grey grad in an attempt to control the glare, the photos were taken in RAW and processed in ACR/CS3 but with only minimal tweaks, they are more or less as captured.

The photos show the dock area of the city, in the foreground hidden by buildings in a very new marina that has recently been constructed using Saudi money.

The Docks are the busiest in that part of Africa due to the amount of fish which is landed daily, just out of shot is the largest Sardine cannery in the world.

Anyway I would be interested to know if the majority of you prefer the landscape or portrait view.

Comments welcome. thank you.

Neil
Old 2nd September 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Re: Landscape or Portrait?

for me there is little of interest in the water, so why show it. The sun is key to the sunset and the silhouette of the skyline is another.

Try it with the sun on the top 1/3rd and the cranes on the lower 1/3rd

I think landscap is needed so you may want to squeeze the the image a bit to maximise the width.

I like the exposure and the colours and think this will look really nice.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 2nd September 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I find the cranes a bit meh in the landscape one.

But I think the Portrait one works well, sun, some cranes and a bit of water plus a yellow sky, hold interest to me, the landscape one does not.

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 2nd September 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Neil

This is the sort of image I really like (apart from wildlife of course).
I think the portrait shot is heading in the right direction as the cranes etc are darker. Having said that the landscape is a better format. If you take to dark areas and make them truly black. ensure the outlines are very sharp against the sky, I think it would be a winning formulae. This would create a true silhoette to the foreground and sky. What do you think?

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 3rd September 2008
ndl0071

Thanks Graham, Knikki and Peter for your help with this, much appreciated, I have had several comments along the lines of doing away with the water in the foreground, I kept it in as I quite liked the reflective glow, that said I am now going to take it on the chin and try various crops, I also like the idea of creating a true silhouette so I shall also play around with the blacks and see where that takes me.

Thanks again

Neil
Old 3rd September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a glorious sunset, the sky and the sun are just wonderful.

I think I prefer the landscape format, but it would be nice to see all of the sun at the top of the picture. I like the way the tall building on the left seems to anchor the whole scene, and is almost matched by the radio masts on the right.

If it was mine I'd be tempted to see what it looked like with the area of sea in the foreground reduced, but with still a glimmer of reflected light, and I think I'd also twiddle with it a bit to make the roofline horizontal, even if it wasn't.