Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th April 2011

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts
A Good Day On Skye

Woke up this morning to the sound of a Wheatear tapping on the bedroom window frame. Much nicer than hearing my neighbours hacking cough where I used to live.
No real work today so I went into Portree to see a couple of friends. Whilst there I was accosted in the street by a young lady who asked me if I would be interested in a box full of cameras that the chain of charity shops she works for can't sell.
As my mates were a wee bit busy I popped into the shop to have a look.
The box was a cornucopia of bits and bobs from the 60's 70's and 80's.
To whit: 5 Kodak Instamatics (2 with films in)
1 Minolta SRT 101 c/w Rokkor 55mm f1.7 (Broken)
2 Minolta X-300's c/w Tamron 35-70mm f3.5 Rokkor 28mm f2.8
1 Pentax ME with Pentax 50mm f1.7 (Shutter Jammed)
1 Pentax MX with Pentax 135mm f3.5
1 Hanimex 135m f 4 lens not sure about the mount.
1 Nikon 35mm compact (Broken)
1 Practika MTL
3 Pracktica Super TL's all with 50mm f2.8 lenses
1 Kowa 66 with 80mm lens and broken shutter

The list goes on and on mostly dross, Zenit E's and a Zorki but last but not least Olympus OM10 with 50mm f1.8 a 28mm f2.8 Zuiko and 135mm f3.5mm lenses all with end caps and hoods. Also a book entitled "The OM Way" I had a copy of this book years ago and lent it to someone and never got it back.

Most of it is unserviceable, especially the bodies, and most of the lenses have a bit of fungus but the Oly gear is pretty fine.

Well chuffed. It might be mostly junk. But it's my junk
Old 20th April 2011

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Re: A Good Day On Skye

Sounds like fun.
Do the Instamatics work?
Unlike a lot of people on here, I hoard.
The only cameras I don't have now that I used to have were a Kodak Instamatic and a Brownie 127.
I'd be interested in an Instamatic.

Here's one I took earlier....September 1972

Lots of toys.
Old 20th April 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gosh, I spent many an evening reading The OM Way. That and "The OM Systems" by Pangerl were my bedside companions for a long time. Currently gathering dust on a shelf but not forgotten.
Old 21st April 2011

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

Re Instamatics - now for a terrible digression

Many years ago I spent some time as an Intern (used to be called an Industrial Trainee - IT) at the Kodak factory in Stevenage in the work study department. One of my training tasks was to measure the time to assemble an Instamatic camera. From what I remember most it if not all the components were made in the factory from the springs that operated the shutter to the bodies and the moulding of the lenses. I think I actually got to assemble a camera.

As a spin off from this I was able to visit the Harrow Factory where film and paper were made/coated and also some processing took place.

Also through a contact made at Stevenage I was able to visiting the Kodak factory near Stuttgart and see the assembly of the 35mm cameras (the Retinette - I think) as well as the processing labs.

A treat for me at the Stevenage factory was access to the Photo Club darkroom and the ability to buy 20 by 16 B&W enlarging paper and use the large sized dishes. Great fun.

Apologies for the subject diversion. Now back to your regular programming.