Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 15th February 2019

Liked 110 Times in 73 Posts
Re: Adobe LR - no more updates - options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
I had an update yesterday, for the Classic version. So unsure why you are saying there are no more updates,,,,,,,,,,,
No more updates for the standalone version, last one was 6.14.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tram For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (15th February 2019)
Old 17th February 2019

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Has no-one mentioned using the free dng converter, which Adobe promote as providing backwards compatibility for new cameras.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 30th April 2019

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I am looking at options.
I really dont like subscription software, I want to carry on using the software if I can no longer afford the monthly fees.
I tried Affinity, and loved it, but it didnt do the cataloging that my Elements does. I contacted Serif and they are planning one but said there was no timescale or even no definitive plans as to what they would include in the catalogue, so I went in search of something else...

A friend asked if I had tried the ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate... I was very wary as I had used the very early software way back when... but it seems to catalog, keyword etc. It also seems to process RAW files BETTER than my Elements (I only get limited tools in elements) and currently there is an option to buy a licence or go the subscription route) I have asked a question about whether they will still carry on with options to buy a licence and am waiting for a reply

Has anyone else used a recent version of this, and if so, do you have any opinions either way?

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 30th April 2019

Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
I really dont like subscription software,
I have asked a question about whether they will still carry on with options to buy a licence and am waiting for a reply
I'm with you on the subscription front.

Don't forget that just because a company might say they have no plans to remove the purchase option, that can change. You can only guarantee that you'll have the last version you actually bought.

And, actually, this isn't always true. I have a copy of Corel Paint Shop Pro version X that I bought as a download. Turns out that the download version, unlike the shrink-wrapped CD version, had to be activated after installation. I don't even recall doing that, I bought it so long ago.

I hardly use it any more but wanted to move it to a new computer only to discover that Corel no longer have the activation server running so I could not activate it. It took a very long and heated discussion with their support team to get them to grudgingly find a way to activate the software... I may have mentioned small claims court.
Old 30th April 2019

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Tracy, would "Olympus Workspace" be suitable for catalogueing?
Old 30th April 2019

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

Software does not fall from heaven ready to run, it has to be designed, developed, tested, documented. Who is going to pay for it if the users does not, who is going to ensure that the software stays uptodate with the latest operating system.

I resent the fee that Adobe charge, but if it was a purchase model, you would still have to pay for new versions to handle new cameras, and coomputer operating systems.

The Adobe annual fee is far less than the money you would have spent on film and chemicals in the old world.
Grumpy Hec (2nd May 2019)
Old 30th April 2019

Liked 202 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Software does not fall from heaven ready to run, it has to be designed, developed, tested, documented. Who is going to pay for it if the users does not, who is going to ensure that the software stays uptodate with the latest operating system.

I resent the fee that Adobe charge, but if it was a purchase model, you would still have to pay for new versions to handle new cameras, and coomputer operating systems.

The Adobe annual fee is far less than the money you would have spent on film and chemicals in the old world.
I still have a genuine 20 yr old version of Adobe Elements on disk that has worked on all Windows versions over the years. Whilst not comparable to modern versions, it was a free copy so definitely good value for money

Jax
Old 30th April 2019

Liked 251 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Yes, I also agree. About three pints of beer per month!!
Where's your pub? Where I live a pint costs well over £4

David
Old 1st May 2019

I tend to upgrade my software every 3-4 years or so, or when people rave about this tool can do what I want etc. I understand fully that its expensive to develop, and that is why I will happily buy software... but on my schedule...
At work I use a CAD program for my job, and every year they push out new tools that not many people seem to use, but not repair any tools that don't work despite their customers repeatedly asking for them to be made usable, they seem to be purely focused on a profit for their shareholders, not making decent software anymore. I preferred my work software before they went subscription as we could make a choice as to whether we needed this years new tools... maybe I am old-fashioned, but thats me

I hope this doesnt come across as "snarky" its not meant to be at all... just my view on why I dont want subscriptionware

The Following Users Liked This Post:
griffljg (1st May 2019), pault (1st May 2019), Petrochemist (8th May 2019)
Old 7th May 2019

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

I rather like the subscription process (apart from the cost) as it brings to me new features without having to search for them, some recent perspective correction features have proved to be quite useful and have reduced the frequency of a diversion to Photoshop for the images.
Would I have bought a new version to get the feature - no
Do i use the new feature - yes
Old 7th May 2019

One problem I have with this Adobe subscription/continuous upgrade thing is that the machine requirements for software are inexorably creeping up and my machine is just about at it's limits - I've maxed the memory and already have a Hybrid disk for the OS/Programs. An SSD disk is the only option left. So I've looked at Capture 1 as an alternative but it's nigh on £300, and there's no guarantee as to how it'll perform on my machine (I'd need to try out the trial). I pay £110 pa or something for Adobe, so it's about 3 years worth of Adobe for Capture 1. So long as Adobe (a) don't drop Classic LR and (b) don't suddenly up the charge to £20 a month (I've heard rumours) I'm beginning to think my best bet will be to get a new machine when things get unusable.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery
Old 7th May 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Surveys show that the grow areas in photography are mobile phones and instant (Instax). If sales of 'proper' cameras fall off as predicted (it's more than a prediction, it's actually happening) companies like Adobe will have no option but to raise subscriptions.
The simple way around the problem is to capture in JPEG, paying attention to getting it right in camera.
On this occasion I will keep my lips sealed and not talk about a sensible alternative.

on flickr
Old 7th May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
One problem I have with this Adobe subscription/continuous upgrade thing is that the machine requirements for software are inexorably creeping up and my machine is just about at it's limits - I've maxed the memory and already have a Hybrid disk for the OS/Programs. An SSD disk is the only option left. So I've looked at Capture 1 as an alternative but it's nigh on £300, and there's no guarantee as to how it'll perform on my machine (I'd need to try out the trial). I pay £110 pa or something for Adobe, so it's about 3 years worth of Adobe for Capture 1. So long as Adobe (a) don't drop Classic LR and (b) don't suddenly up the charge to £20 a month (I've heard rumours) I'm beginning to think my best bet will be to get a new machine when things get unusable.
I just bought ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate at a cost of just over £60 (I got 2 licences for that price too). It catalogues, and RAW developing and regular "photoshop" type processing too. I downloaded the trial, and someone from them contacted me later to see if I was happy with it, and undercut the web price by a further 15% . It is way more than the elements I am used to. It is a perpetual licence, and when I asked they had no plans to remove that type of licence.

They do run a referral system, but I dont know if thats a good thing or not

Old 7th May 2019

Liked 1,353 Times in 354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Surveys show that the grow areas in photography are mobile phones and instant (Instax). If sales of 'proper' cameras fall off as predicted (it's more than a prediction, it's actually happening) companies like Adobe will have no option but to raise subscriptions.
The simple way around the problem is to capture in JPEG, paying attention to getting it right in camera.
On this occasion I will keep my lips sealed and not talk about a sensible alternative.
I am inclined to agree on the first part, but have disagree on the second. The workflow involves processing (cropping, exposure, tonal curve, white balance etc) then tagging to ease managing large amounts of photos and finally developing (exporting to various formats using various settings) which has nothing to do with source format (JPG or RAW/ORF).

My Gallery on 500px
The Following User Liked This Post:
jdal (7th May 2019)
Old 7th May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
… It catalogues, and RAW developing and regular "photoshop" type processing too. ...
Does that cataloguing include hierarchical keywords? That's a deal-breaker for me.

***update **** Forget that question, I'm having a shot at the trial.

***update of update *** Performance is no better on my machine than Lightroom, runs something in the background that uses masses of power (i.e processor intensive), when the app itself isn't running. Import of LR stuff seemed good, but machine rebooted half way through, no idea why. Didn't like the way it handled selecting by keywords. A shame, it looks a good bit of software and well worth the money. I think if I hadn't gotten so used to LR and had a more powerful machine, I'd likely use it.

Flickr gallery