Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 6th February 2014

Liked 376 Times in 109 Posts
Stylus 1 continues to please ...

... We recently spent 10 days at our son's house in Kent, looking after our grandchildren while their mother visited her folk in California. Our grandson is just three so finding interest for him at the weekend is not easy at this time of the year, particularly with the amount of rain we have been experiencing. He does love trains though, so we made the journey an important part of the day and went into Victoria and then took the Victoria/London Bridge loop back to Forest Hill which meant Justin had interesting train rides and we didn't have to bore him with the underground! We decided to spend some time at the Horniman Museum which we enjoyed but Justin was quite happy to get back to the trains!

I remain very happy with the Stylus 1 and am posting a couple of pix taken in the grounds of the museum, both looking over towards the London Bridge area of London.

This one of Justin is completely true to colour - his clothes being reproduced exactly as they are. The Shard and its surrounds are shown in the background -

The second pic shows more of the skyline - the Shard, not surprisingly being the tallest building, dwarfing St Paul's Cathedral on the extreme left. These buildings are probably about five miles away -

Regards,
Ann1e
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ann1e For This Useful Post:
Iansky (24th February 2014), jdal (24th February 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Pierre L (7th February 2014)
Old 6th February 2014

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts
Re: Stylus 1 continues to please ...

looking good Annie, that is quite some skyline these days, not yet returned visit to London after more than 25 years away, maybe one day ('tis a long way from Dorset )
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Ann1e (7th February 2014)
Old 7th February 2014
Floribunda

That Shard is an impressive building Ann1e and lovely to see it in context with Dt Pauls.
Nice that you are happy with the Stylus.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ann1e (7th February 2014)
Old 7th February 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Good skyline, Anne. Just how pocketable is the Stylus? Not that I can afford one!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 7th February 2014

Thanked 1,318 Times in 1,029 Posts
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,127 Posts

Two different but very nice images Anne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
looking good Annie, that is quite some skyline these days, not yet returned visit to London after more than 25 years away, maybe one day ('tis a long way from Dorset )
2 1/2 hr drive a long way!?!? It's just a bit more than a drive down the road for us here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Good skyline, Anne. Just how pocketable is the Stylus? Not that I can afford one!
It's just 5mm narrower than the E-M5 & 2mm lower (at the hotshoe) with a lens on the front that is 60mm dia. & 12mm long (17mm with lens cap), so it isn't quite what you'd shove in your jeans pocket. It really is an OM-D look alike camera (in some respects) but with the larger diameter of the lens housing the front control ring (clicked or smooth like the XZ-2). It will fit into a front pouch or bum bag though (& is only difficult when my belly gets in the way).

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 7th February 2014

Quote:
Thanks Stephen - I will address your question from the male point of view as I find women's equivalent clothing somewhat frustrating in that there are often not only fewer pockets but much smaller ones. In our case, if we are out photographing, I tend to dump the handbag and my back is not up to heavy rucksacks, so a lot of everyday 'bits and pieces' have to be allocated to the pockets available!

The stylus is certainly pocketable - even in the soft Olympus case - in outer ware (anorak etc) and does fit into a jacket pocket, although here it is probably better without the case.

Regards,
Ann1e
The Following User Says Thank You to Ann1e For This Useful Post:
OM USer (7th February 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Westy (7th February 2014)
Old 7th February 2014

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
2 1/2 hr drive a long way!?!?
its all in the mind Ross (apart from the fact that you Aussies have so much space your next neighbour tends to be over 100 miles away, or so my cousin tells me )

My desire to visit London died a long time ago (probably about the time I was working out of St Martins Place and living in in the centre of town on a 2 year assignment)
so whilst we happily dash up and down the country to see the family (450 mile round trip), mentally, its a long way to travel less than 100 miles to London )
Old 7th February 2014

Thanked 1,119 Times in 701 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
I posed this very question over on 4/3 where Barr1e posted shots similar to these on this thread.

He has kindly posted a comparison piccie showing the Stylus 1 alongside the XZ-1.

4/3Forum - Barr1e's comparison picture - Stylus 1 / XZ-1

It is a wee bit bullky but considering the focal range isn't OTT regards size.

I'd still like to get a hands on to be sure, my problem being a lack of Oly dealers who have stock.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Last edited by Wally; 7th February 2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added img link 2 4/3 Forum
Old 7th February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
its all in the mind Ross (apart from the fact that you Aussies have so much space your next neighbour tends to be over 100 miles away, or so my cousin tells me )

My desire to visit London died a long time ago (probably about the time I was working out of St Martins Place and living in in the centre of town on a 2 year assignment)
so whilst we happily dash up and down the country to see the family (450 mile round trip), mentally, its a long way to travel less than 100 miles to London )
Yes, I know it is all in the mind with me & I don't blame you with the traffic in that diection. I have become a little less eager to travel (have been most of my life really), but maybe I will be meeting up with someone else to get out to Jenolan Caves which is 1.5 hrs drive away but 6.5hrs for them. I gotta do it & get out more! I drive into Sydney (north for product pick-ups & south to the airport) every now & then & that is about 1 hours drive each way. I'm usually glad to be back home afterwards, but then again, my daughter made it to London (during the Queen's Jubilee) as well as Paris & Nth Wales, so it might just be a limit in the mind only.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 7th February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I posed this very question over on 4/3 where Barr1e posted shots similar to these on this thread.

He has kindly posted a comparison piccie showing the Stylus 1 alongside the XZ-1.

It is a wee bit bullky but considering the focal range isn't OTT regards size.

I'd still like to get a hands on to be sure, my problem being a lack of Oly dealers who have stock.
I hope Anne doesn't mind, but here's the Stylus 1 & E-M5 together.

Now someone might show you the XZ-2 next to it.
DPReview have the 3 of them lined up here.
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/oly...threeway3d.jpg
Old 7th February 2014

I was in the process of replying to Stephen re size of the Stylus when Ross 'pipped me to the post' and I then realised our two countries' climates have a very large bearing on our replies.

Certainly I would agree with Ross that the Stylus would not easily fit into the pocket of my jeans (and I virtually live in denims!). When I think back to our visit to Australia in mid winter (July), it was pleasantly warm most of the time even then so probably the time wearing outer jackets there would be a very small proportion of the time we do over here ... like Spring, Summer, Autumn as well as Winter!

So to sum up, Stephen - pocketable in the UK but probably not when you visit your son!

Regards,
Ann1e
Old 7th February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I hope Anne doesn't mind, but here's the Stylus 1 & E-M5 together.
Certainly, I don't mind, Ross - the more info for everyone the better!

Regards,
Ann1e
Old 7th February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1e View Post
I was in the process of replying to Stephen re size of the Stylus when Ross 'pipped me to the post' and I then realised our two countries' climates have a very large bearing on our replies.

Certainly I would agree with Ross that the Stylus would not easily fit into the pocket of my jeans (and I virtually live in denims!). When I think back to our visit to Australia in mid winter (July), it was pleasantly warm most of the time even then so probably the time wearing outer jackets there would be a very small proportion of the time we do over here ... like Spring, Summer, Autumn as well as Winter!

So to sum up, Stephen - pocketable in the UK but probably not when you visit your son!

Regards,
Ann1e
It's funny you should say that as I had my jacket on (& my wife in her long coat) as we lunched in Wentworth Falls on Thursday, although the sun came out in the afternoon. To tell you the truth, the jacket pocket would probably have been a much better idea than the silly bum(p) bag (pouch) I used that day. I will certainly remember that next time it is cool enough.

Old 7th February 2014
Floribunda

" It will fit into a front pouch or bum bag though (& is only difficult when my belly gets in the way)."

Ah Ross - the price you pay for that Steak Sandwich and Chips at Wentworth Falls!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (7th February 2014)
Old 7th February 2014

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

The stylus 1 looks good but wondering how it will compare to the traveller EE 100..