Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th March 2011

Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Our Economy

Just found out that unemployment is at it's highest EVER. Also first class stamps are going up 5 pence each on April 4th. No point in stocking up on stamps then as there are no vacancies to apply for !!
Old 16th March 2011

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts
Re: Our Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp1 View Post
Just found out that unemployment is at it's highest EVER.
It's part of David Cameron's and Nick 'Horsefly' Cleg's 'Big Society' - Big Unemployment!

Jim
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 2,320 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
It's part of David Cameron's and Nick 'Horsefly' Cleg's 'Big Society' - Big Unemployment!

Jim
The name is Clegg.

It is all very well to blame the present government for the high unemployment figures, but they have only been in power for a few months, and cannot be responsible for all that has gone on over the past fourteen years.

The fact is that most of those who have become unemployed over the past few months lost their jobs owing to economic conditions that had developed over several years, rather than weeks. In other words the redundancies would have taken place regardless of who won the election, and in the longer term would probably have been far worse under Noolaber.

And whether we like it or not, public sector employment in this country has grown out of all proportion to the private sector, which has to fund not only it's own salaries and meagre pensions, but also those of the public sector workers; who still seem to feel that they have a right to work 9 till 4 and not a minute more, and then retire at age 55 on a gold plated, index linked final salary pension, whilst those of us in the private sector have to keep working until we’re 85 to pay for it!

It is also the case that many of those currently working in the public sector were employed on borrowed money, (principally from private sector pension funds), even though the economy was allegedly booming at the time, and even national governments cannot borrow indefinitely.

We should be aware that other countries in Europe have also had to cut their own public sector employment. This will never be a popular move, but it is necessary all the same.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 17th March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,273 Posts
Liked 1,707 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp1 View Post
Just found out that unemployment is at it's highest EVER. Also first class stamps are going up 5 pence each on April 4th. No point in stocking up on stamps then as there are no vacancies to apply for !!
Mmmmmm.... highest since 1994, so not highest 'ever'.

Apparently there are now 300,000 more employed people than this time last year, but youth unemployment is pretty high at 20%.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 17th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Mmmmmm.... highest since 1994, so not highest 'ever'.

Apparently there are now 300,000 more employed people than this time last year, but youth unemployment is pretty high at 20%.

Ian
We need to be careful when using past figures, as they are not like-for-like.

I would say that the working-age population of the UK has grown by significantly more than 300,000 since 1994. At the same time, the numbers of people in employment in the UK are at near record levels. The fact that this country is overpopulated (in comparison to the numbers of jobs available) doesn't help.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 17th March 2011

Maybe I'll get something right one day.

The stamps are going up though.
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 537 Times in 375 Posts

Nigel

A bit embarrassing for you as one of the culprits was your MP.
Old 17th March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,273 Posts
Liked 1,707 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
We need to be careful when using past figures, as they are not like-for-like.

I would say that the working-age population of the UK has grown by significantly more than 300,000 since 1994. At the same time, the numbers of people in employment in the UK are at near record levels. The fact that this country is overpopulated (in comparison to the numbers of jobs available) doesn't help.
Er, 300,000 more people in employment since this time last year, not 1994.

It's school and college leavers that are having problems finding employment and I would guess that many people finding new jobs are having to settle for lower incomes.

According to official stats unemployment shot up in mid-2008, rising by almost a million in one year, levelling off in mid 2009. Unemployment as a percentage rate is much lower now than in the previous two recessions.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 17th March 2011

Both my Daughters have fortunately found jobs but it took some time. My eldest has just secured 3 days a week as a speech therapist after spending five years at uni and running up a massive debt. But at least she is earning and is happy to get her foot in the door.
Old 17th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Nigel

A bit embarrassing for you as one of the culprits was your MP.
Oh yes!

Thankfully I can sleep at night as I didn't ever vote for him, not that it would make much difference around here.

On the subject of jobs for young people; this is a real concern for us, as we have two teenage children, (13 and 17), and at present there seem to be very few opportunities for them.

We went to a school open evening for our eldest earlier this week, where several of the major universities were represented. Speaking to the representatives there it seems the bar for entrance to many of the universities has been raised significantly, so that even with good A Levels results, and UCAS points from music grades, they still want all A's for GCSE.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts

It's time to move the unemployment 'goalposts' to make the figures look better - like Thatcher's lot (ptui, ptui) did several times!

Jim
Old 17th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
It's time to move the unemployment 'goalposts' to make the figures look better - like Thatcher's lot (ptui, ptui) did several times!

Jim
Jim, I think you'll find the unemployment goalposts have moved plenty of times in the past fourteen years, to the point that we no longer know whether we are offside, or about to score an 'own goal'!

The most disastrous exercise of this type was Tony Bliar's target of sending 50% of school leavers to university, whether it would benefit them or not. The sole purpose of this diktat was to reduce youth unemployment, (by keeping youngsters in full time education), but many of them now find themselves in impossible debt and with degrees that are frankly little more then useless in the workplace.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Jim, I think you'll find the unemployment goalposts have moved plenty of times in the past fourteen years, to the point that we no longer know whether we are offside, or about to score an 'own goal'!

The most disastrous exercise of this type was Tony Bliar's target of sending 50% of school leavers to university, whether it would benefit them or not. The sole purpose of this diktat was to reduce youth unemployment, (by keeping youngsters in full time education), but many of them now find themselves in impossible debt and with degrees that are frankly little more then useless in the workplace.
I remember a a newspaper article some time ago that blamed Margaret Thatcher of the same. Having unis introduce vocational courses to reduce unemployment figures.

I have been very fortunate in that I have never had to search for a job.
As a teenager I could walk out of one job on a Friday and start another on the next Monday, plenty of jobs available.
After service in HM forces I have been able to find employment since leaving over 20 years ago.

I am now retired so am not looking, but I do sympathise with youngsters who cannot find work, it doesn't do them or the greater community any good.
Old 17th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Er, 300,000 more people in employment since this time last year, not 1994.

It's school and college leavers that are having problems finding employment and I would guess that many people finding new jobs are having to settle for lower incomes.

According to official stats unemployment shot up in mid-2008, rising by almost a million in one year, levelling off in mid 2009. Unemployment as a percentage rate is much lower now than in the previous two recessions.
Ian
Exactly. My point was that the total number of people in work has increased significantly since 1994, but the population of the UK has also increased significantly; therefore the present unemployment figures (when expressed as raw numbers rather than percentages) are perhaps not as bleak as we would have thought they were (say) thirty years ago.

However, the figures are still much too high, and as Sapper says, it does our communities no good at all. One of the problems in this area is that some of the people who lost jobs when the mines closed have never found (or looked for) work since, and they are unable and/or unwilling to move to find a job. This problem has now become almost genetic, with several generations of the same family never having worked.

I know a few people who used to work in the mines, all of whom found new work. What I find interesting is that some of them would leave their present jobs to go back down the pit tomorrow if the opportunity arose, whilst the majority would never want to see the inside a coal mine again. Whatever our opinions, coal mining was a filthy, dangerous and backbreaking job, which produced a very dirty and environmentally damaging fuel; so even if the mines were still open I doubt that there would be enough willing workers to keep them going, or even whether there would be the demand for coal.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 17th March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,473 Times in 2,124 Posts

It's not the economy now that concerns me, it's the economy in two year's time. Unfortunately the Public Sector is such a huge part of our economy that you cannot cut it (however much it may need doing) as severely as the Government are doing without causing a major recession. I know experts talk of a "double dip" recession but what they haven't admitted (yet!) is that the second dip, when it comes, will be far deeper and longer lasting than the first. To put it bluntly, you ain't seen nothing yet!

This will be compounded by inflation, caused by a most unwise increase in indirect taxation such as VAT and fuel duty, which will lead to a prolonged period of stagflation. Because the economy is going to shrink significantly the present spending cuts will not reduce the budget deficit in any meaningful way because taxation income (both direct and indirect) will reduce dramatically whilst spending on benefits will be forced up by rising unemployment.

I fear the present incumbents of government will not have the nouse to formulate a Plan B when it becomes clear that Plan A isn't working and we will descend into an economic whirlpool of ever more savage cuts at the expense of the elderly, disabled and disadvantaged combined with an increasingly shrinking economy. All but the very rich (isn't that always the case? ) will become significantly poorer whether employed or not.

The situation will be exacerbated by the shocking and terrible events in Japan; their economy is certain to be decimated and it is such a large economy that it is bound to adversely impact the fragile global economy.

Re-visit this thread in two year's time and if I'm wrong I'll grovel.

I hope I am wrong and that Messrs Cameron and Osborne are in fact right. However, I doubt that very much. I think the future for Britain is very bleak and, inevitably, most Britons will have to adjust to a significantly poorer standard of living with lower expectations (think Albania). I'm glad I've already had the best of my life, it's my daughter I fear for. Hopefully she will be able to emigrate to a better life in a more enlightened country.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Adagio (17th March 2011)