Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
fred59 fred59 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Photo File Numbers

Hi not sure if this is the right area to ask....i am new to the Olympus set up after many years with the 'others', all my photos are taken in RAW but when the files are down loaded i get the normal file with 7 numbers plus ORF but some appear to have a 'P' preceding the 7 the seven numbers...simple question is what does the 'P' mean, the particular photos were taken in Auto...is this what it means, i know it sounds silly but cannot find nothing in the manual...unless i have missed it. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Bikie John's Avatar
Bikie John Bikie John is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wessex
Posts: 3,971
Thanks: 187
Thanked 650 Times in 578 Posts
Likes: 501
Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

***Edit - this is not quite correct, sorry. Please see Invicta's post below this one***

Unless you change it, I think the file names are xmddnnnn where:

x is P for JPEG files and _ (underscore) for raw files
mdd - the date as month - day - day (Oct to Dec as A to C for the month)
nnnn - four-digit sequence number

There are options to change some things in the menu. For example, I think by default the number will reset to zero when you reformat the card. There is an option somewhere to tell it to carry on sequentially. Changing the first letter is not quite straightforward, I think it has some strange dependency on which colour space you use, but it should all be there in the book if you are interested.

John

Last edited by Bikie John; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:23 PM. Reason: Correcting errors
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Invicta's Avatar
Invicta Invicta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Third rock from the sun
Posts: 1,020
Thanks: 66
Thanked 242 Times in 125 Posts
Likes: 18
Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

Olympus naming convention follows the standards and uses different names to denote different colour spaces. So files beginning with a P are taken in sRGB and those beginning with a _ are taken in Adobe RGB. You can change the four parts in Pmdd but only change the mdd part in _mdd.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Bikie John's Avatar
Bikie John Bikie John is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wessex
Posts: 3,971
Thanks: 187
Thanked 650 Times in 578 Posts
Likes: 501
Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

Ah yes, sorry, my mistake. I changed mine so long ago that I'd forgotten the details!

John
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 14,063
Thanks: 2,081
Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Likes: 5,424
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Unless you change it, I think the file names are xmddnnnn where:

x is P for JPEG files and _ (underscore) for raw files
mdd - the date as month - day - day (Oct to Dec as A to C for the month)
nnnn - four-digit sequence number

There are options to change some things in the menu. For example, I think by default the number will reset to zero when you reformat the card. There is an option somewhere to tell it to carry on sequentially. Changing the first letter is not quite straightforward, I think it has some strange dependency on which colour space you use, but it should all be there in the book if you are interested.

John
And since this is in the E-M1 II forum then the settings are in Menu H1. The first three menu items are:-
Card Slot Settings - Determines order of saving etc (I have mine Slot 1 Stills & Slot 2 video with Auto overflow)
File Name - set to Auto for continuing numbering (resets to zero if not on Auto)
Edit Filename - as it is titled (I use different first characters for my different Olympus cameras to separate files from each camera)

__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (4 Weeks Ago)
  #6  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Phill D's Avatar
Phill D Phill D is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 9,839
Thanks: 1,182
Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,308 Posts
Likes: 1,037
Liked 2,347 Times in 1,117 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

Ross I use the same card settings as you do but I do find if I let the camera roll over itself from one card to the second by filling the first card even when I've emptied the cards the file save setting has been permanently changed to store to card 2. I have to go in and reset it to card 1 again. Does yours do the same thing?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
peak4's Avatar
peak4 peak4 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Buxton, Derbyshire.
Posts: 1,679
Thanks: 128
Thanked 212 Times in 178 Posts
Likes: 193
Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

One thing to consider, when using multiple camera bodies, is to ensure that there is no duplication of filenames from the same photo shoot.
When I get home from an outing, I tend to copy all files to the same hard drive folder, generated from date and location.
Having recently taken delivery of a new E-M1 Mk2, I re-formatted all my cards and wandered out looking at dragonflies. On returning home I found I'd got three different photos all with the same filename P900001; fortunately I realised and put them in different folders, where I used a DOS command prompt to change the numbering in bulk.

I had noticed before, that one of the firmware updates, which removed all personal settings, also re-set the file names back to the initial numbering.

Since I only use sRGB, I've currently set each of my camera bodies with a different letter prefix.

Does anyone have any better solutions?
__________________
Best Regards
Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 14,063
Thanks: 2,081
Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Likes: 5,424
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Ross I use the same card settings as you do but I do find if I let the camera roll over itself from one card to the second by filling the first card even when I've emptied the cards the file save setting has been permanently changed to store to card 2. I have to go in and reset it to card 1 again. Does yours do the same thing?
Yes, once it has overflowed it doesn't matter if you clear the first card it will continue on the 2nd until the card management has been set again. Also, if you take the Slot 1 card out & switch the camera on it will lose it too, requiring resetting the desired settings again after cards are back in.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Phill D (4 Weeks Ago)
  #9  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 14,063
Thanks: 2,081
Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Likes: 5,424
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
One thing to consider, when using multiple camera bodies, is to ensure that there is no duplication of filenames from the same photo shoot.
When I get home from an outing, I tend to copy all files to the same hard drive folder, generated from date and location.
Having recently taken delivery of a new E-M1 Mk2, I re-formatted all my cards and wandered out looking at dragonflies. On returning home I found I'd got three different photos all with the same filename P900001; fortunately I realised and put them in different folders, where I used a DOS command prompt to change the numbering in bulk.

I had noticed before, that one of the firmware updates, which removed all personal settings, also re-set the file names back to the initial numbering.

Since I only use sRGB, I've currently set each of my camera bodies with a different letter prefix.

Does anyone have any better solutions?
I've been setting up all my Olympus cameras with different prefixes ever since E520 & E30 models, including the Stylus models. They all have their own unique 1st character to avoid that doubling issue & also, set to Auto numbering to continue & not resetting to zero with a new card (I had to learn the hard way in the beginning though).
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (4 Weeks Ago)
  #10  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Bikie John's Avatar
Bikie John Bikie John is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wessex
Posts: 3,971
Thanks: 187
Thanked 650 Times in 578 Posts
Likes: 501
Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
One thing to consider, when using multiple camera bodies, is to ensure that there is no duplication of filenames from the same photo shoot.
When I get home from an outing, I tend to copy all files to the same hard drive folder, generated from date and location.
Having recently taken delivery of a new E-M1 Mk2, I re-formatted all my cards and wandered out looking at dragonflies. On returning home I found I'd got three different photos all with the same filename P900001; fortunately I realised and put them in different folders, where I used a DOS command prompt to change the numbering in bulk.

I had noticed before, that one of the firmware updates, which removed all personal settings, also re-set the file names back to the initial numbering.

Since I only use sRGB, I've currently set each of my camera bodies with a different letter prefix.

Does anyone have any better solutions?
Pretty similar to what I do. I used to specify Adobe RGB colour space but, as Invicta points out above, that imposes some restrictions on what you can rename to. I like having the date as part of the file name, and the colour space setting only affects the JPEG files. I only use raw so I switched back to sRGB and just change the first letter to be unique for each new body. I'm up to H now

I also prefer to let the sequence number run on rather than resetting.

John
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (4 Weeks Ago)
  #11  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 14,063
Thanks: 2,081
Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Likes: 5,424
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Pretty similar to what I do. I used to specify Adobe RGB colour space but, as Invicta points out above, that imposes some restrictions on what you can rename to. I like having the date as part of the file name, and the colour space setting only affects the JPEG files. I only use raw so I switched back to sRGB and just change the first letter to be unique for each new body. I'm up to H now

I also prefer to let the sequence number run on rather than resetting.

John
I should have adopted an alphabetic method myself instead of some random naming, but I think the E30 is still P, E-M5 is O, E-M1 is M & E-M1 II is K. Crazy, I know, but then my Stylus 1 got S (of course) & my wife's Stylus 1s got R (for her name). Nobody else could relate to my naming I guess, but at least I (think) I can remember each one.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bikie John (4 Weeks Ago)
  #12  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
DerekW DerekW is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,089
Thanks: 90
Thanked 336 Times in 263 Posts
Likes: 33
Liked 536 Times in 374 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

I increment the leading character each year (sometimes sooner if I take a lot of pictures) the two cameras each have a unique leading character.
__________________
This space for rent
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
raichea raichea is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 683
Thanks: 88
Thanked 114 Times in 94 Posts
Likes: 106
Liked 116 Times in 79 Posts
Re: Photo File Numbers

I always shoot raw but have the colour space set to Adobe RGB just in case I ever swtich to JPG, hence all my files start with '_'.

I never change the name from its standard setting and don't see the need as Lightroom allows me to filter on camera model and serial number.
__________________
Steve
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factory reset - does it reset the file numbers ? Nigel_HD Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2 3 7th June 2019 08:14 PM
Numbers of posts benvendetta The lounge 16 13th July 2015 06:04 PM
Prime numbers. snaarman Foto Fair 8 10th March 2014 04:05 PM
Painting by numbers Kiwi Paul Software 0 13th August 2012 10:01 PM
Leap in numbers. Barr1e The lounge 11 29th December 2007 08:00 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger