Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
Re: Our Economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Where, John? I could be interested!
I guess it's no picnic in any country at the moment, but in the medium to long term (as Britain continues to rapidly decline) I would expect Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc to be better options. Or Germany - they tend to get it right more often than not and she is very much enjoying learning German at school.

Since having several holidays in Ireland she has often said she'd like to move there when she's old enough, but economically I don't think that's a very promising option!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp1 View Post
I only wanted to tell you that the price of stamps were going up.
And if you buy books of first or second class stamps they'll still 'work' even after the increase

I remember being advised, years ago, never to discuss religion or politics with friends - so I won't say any more.
jamie allan (18th March 2011)
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
And if you buy books of first or second class stamps they'll still 'work' even after the increase

I remember being advised, years ago, never to discuss religion or politics with friends - so I won't say any more.
Exactly. I am a real scrooge when it comes to paying extra money to the tax/vatman. Already got myself two books of first class.
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 2,324 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp1 View Post
Exactly. I am a real scrooge when it comes to paying extra money to the tax/vatman. Already got myself two books of first class.
First and second class stamps are probably one of the best and safest invertments right now. Where else could you get a 12% return overnight?

We use loads of stamps, so I bought around 500 worth before they went up the time before last. We ran out of that stock a little while ago so I will be buying more before the April deadline.

It is not widely known that these stamps can be used for any postal service, not just first and second class letters, provided that the total current value is sufficient.

Ordinary letter post is currently exempt from VAT, but the government sneakily added VAT to other 'services' such as Signed For and Special Delivery when the VAT went up in January.

And, it cost me over 100 for the first time to fill my car up yesterday. As if that were not bad enough, the pump cut out at 100, and they wouldn't let me put any more in until I had paid for it.

People like to tell us that road fuel it is cheaper on the continent, but when I visited France last week I reckon it was about the same, if not slightly more.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
First and second class stamps are probably one of the best and safest invertments right now. Where else could you get a 12% return overnight?

We use loads of stamps, so I bought around 500 worth before they went up the time before last. We ran out of that stock a little while ago so I will be buying more before the April deadline.

It is not widely known that these stamps can be used for any postal service, not just first and second class letters, provided that the total current value is sufficient.

more.
Can they be used for buying currency I wonder?
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 2,324 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I'm not sure but I think the Post Office will buy back unused stamps. I daresay retailers will be stocking up before the price rises, but I seem to remember that there are some funny rules regarding the sale of stamps.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I take it it's Yuan you want! I reckon, if you could do it, you'd get around 4 1/2 for a first class stamp (less commission!). How many stamps would you need for a rickshaw ride? All travellers to China need to know this.

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
I take it it's Yuan you want! I reckon, if you could do it, you'd get around 4 1/2 for a first class stamp (less commission!). How many stamps would you need for a rickshaw ride? All travellers to China need to know this.
It's academic now, we got our Yuan the other day, but worth getting in some for the next trip.