Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 30th December 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Photographic Studios' ?

Given the massive use of iPhone and iPad and this multi purpose with camera kit, combined with the massive growth in Compact Cameras :

1) Will the local Photographic Studio be "sqeezed out" of the High Street and/or business ?

2) Will the market for "Portraits" for the likes of Venture Portraits et al, shrink ? OR

2a Will it Grow ?

3) Will the market for DSLR kit grow or shrink ?

Thinking about the "Disposable Consumer" Society we are becoming, vis a vis "Minamalist" and "chuck it away" - will the millions buying into iPad; iPhone and Compact Camera use, ever develop their eye and need for DSLR ?

I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 30th December 2011

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Photographic Studios' ?

I think there could be every chance that studio's will be pushed out of business from the high street.We have a local business here, they print from SD/CF cards for personal use, plus other printing business, sell frames, etc. They have decided to close down their business 'shop front' as it is not making money due to high rent for accommodation space. They will join another 'art & craft' provider and share premises. They also reduced their involvement in wedding photography (it was a partnership so they split).

I see other togs trying different ways to bring in business. It appears to be a hard time for them. Having said that the wedding business (wedding fares) appear to have plenty of togs attending and selling their service. I also see photographers charging minimum prices for their service too. These may be new entrants into the profession or semi-pro's eking out a way of bringing in a different or second income.

Photography I imagine will survive, there will always be those people about who will pay for weddings' there is also the advertising industry which requires images. For the high street pro, it will be a hard time ahead, like many other retailers around them.
Old 30th December 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Photographic Studios' ?

In Winchester, Hampshire, UK Maddie Attenborough - long standing Family & Portraits Photography Studio, closed down in October - because the Rates and other Costs were too much, foir the Business she was gaining

However, Joe Low, opened up in Winchester in May 2011. Joe does more of the Commercial, and a little of the "Portraits" work and sells a lot of framed and unframed prints

We also have a "Venture Portraits" who have been @ Winchester for 4 or 5 years and they offer "easy payments" to all for £750 1metre prints ... it is amazing how many people on benefits have a family Venture Portrait on their wall

I just wonder how long it will be, before all these grotty snapshots on facebook, that are "throwaway fad" phase out ? ... and when The masses will again see that a "Proper Quality Portrait" is a lifelong and thereafter image to behold ?

After all, where would be without the photos of our Grandfathers at the Somme, sitting on an old chair with mud on their boots and spurs with a linen sheet as a backdrop ? and the "now and then" old Sepia family Portraits ?

Ancestry. dot com would be bare !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album