Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd February 2013

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts
Planning a trip to Jura

I'm planning a backpacking trip to Jura in (probably) June.

I intend to get the bus as far up the island as possible and trek to the Northenmost tip to see the Corryvreckan whirlpool and camp there a few days. I then want to wander a bit down the western coast to see the raised beaches. I'll also be photographing the wildlife.

I've trekked in the Cairngorms many times and camped on Mull, Ulva and Staffa, so it won't be a new experience - though I expect it will be hard as I'll be carrying a lot of gear this time!

Has anyone been to Jura and can offer any tips?

Jim
Old 23rd February 2013

Liked 307 Times in 82 Posts
Re: Planning a trip to Jura

I am deeply envious Jim. I've been to Jura but not to the north end, and sadly am no longer fit enough to even think about the sort of expedition that you're planning, much as I'd love to do it. There's lots of good info on the web - have a look at the Geograph site ( http://www.geograph.org.uk/ ) to get an idea of what to expect. I know there's a really good bothy on the north shore of Loch Tarbert, ( http://writesofway.com/2013/01/16/ca...-coast-part-1/ ) but that may be further south than you're planning.
The only real practical advice I can give you is to wear long trousers, keep them tucked into your socks and take a tick remover with you!
Old 23rd February 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graptolite View Post
I am deeply envious Jim. I've been to Jura but not to the north end, and sadly am no longer fit enough to even think about the sort of expedition that you're planning, much as I'd love to do it.
I'm also unfit and at my age it's not easy to regain it. I'll just have to take it a bit at a time!

Quote:
I know there's a really good bothy on the north shore of Loch Tarbert, ( http://writesofway.com/2013/01/16/ca...-coast-part-1/ ) but that may be further south than you're planning.
That's handy to know. I was thinking of working my way back to the South of the island on the West coast. The bothy would be handy (I like bothys!).

Quote:
The only real practical advice I can give you is to wear long trousers, keep them tucked into your socks and take a tick remover with you!
I know what you mean! I've now got some Craghoppers that are treated to repel insects, but I won't take a chance. I've also got a midge jacket.

Thanks for the advice.

Jim
Old 23rd February 2013

Liked 307 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

I've also got a midge jacket.
Absolutely essential - take a midge hood as well as the jacket!
Also I wonder if this might prove helpful (followed the link on the Writes of Way webpage):
Walking on Jura, Islay and Colonsay British Mountains: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Edwards: Books Walking on Jura, Islay and Colonsay British Mountains: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Edwards: Books

Old 23rd February 2013

[QUOTE=Graptolite;216045]Absolutely essential - take a midge hood as well as the jacket!

I've got this one - a hood's built in:

http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/jackets.html

It works well, but when walking in warm conditions it's a bit stuffy. Visibility is also reduced.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Graptolite (23rd February 2013)