Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 5th December 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: When black and white is blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePassword View Post
Latest development: I did as you suggested and set it to Storage, and it did something totally new, as soon as I connected the camera it was detected, it asked if I wanted to launch Studio camera control so I agreed, Studio launched, and there appeared rows of icons of shots [assume ones I had taken], but before they could change into thumbnails, it closed down and rebooted Windows to the desktop.
When I again opened Studio there was the old problem of can't find a camera. My diagnosis is that the battery had enough charge to make connection but this drained it to the point where the connection was lost, causing Studio to close and Windows to reboot. I'm going to try again with a just fully charged battery and see if I can either get further in the process or it does the same thing. Then I'll buy a new battery or two. That's worrying what you say Nick, I hope nothing like that has happened.
I wonder if you have a faulty usb cable/connection - after all you did make a connection - albeit just for a moment.

And a fault at the hardware level would be far enough down in the hierarchy to topple the unstable monolith that is windows.

Nick

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 5th December 2008

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Latest update:
I got a new battery, fully charged it and tried again. Same result, no camera detected, so must accept that this is a fault and live with it. It is the same with Control or Storage set from PC.
So I shan't be able to update firmware or download photos from the camera, but I can from the card, so it's not total disaster.
I have yet to adjust WB and go shoot the building again. When I do I'll post the results here. Thanks to everyone for your help, I've learned a lot.
I wouldn't loose to much sleep over the firmware update, but I'm sure there will be an Olympus owner not too far from you who would be willing to hook your E1 to a computer for ten minutes to update it.

Furthermore, I am 99.99999% certain that the problem wil be in your computer, and not in the camera. It took me a little while to get my E1 to talk to my computer, and I am no computer novice. More recent cameras tend to connect much more easily.

Regarding white balance: stick to auto white balance unless you really know what your'e doing. As a paint chemist I probably know more about colour and colour temperature than most people. I also have a great deal of photographic experience gained over more than thirty years, but I always, always use auto white balance.

If you shoot in RAW the files will be identical anyway: only the file header will contain information about the colour temperature (white balance), so you can adjust these to your liking in Photoshop or whatever you use.

The only time that I might, and I stress might use a custom white balance is if I am working in a studio, where the light source is constant, or if I had a colour temperature meter.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th December 2008

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

Hi

I have not read all the text due to lack of time but,if you are on XP Sp2 have you got this driver installed??

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...load/software/

Its the first one on driver software update for SP2.

This what other people have had to install for the camera to be seen by your PC if you are running SP2 on XP.

Hope this helps.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 5th December 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Hi

I have not read all the text due to lack of time but,if you are on XP Sp2 have you got this driver installed??

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...load/software/

Its the first one on driver software update for SP2.

This what other people have had to install for the camera to be seen by your PC if you are running SP2 on XP.

Hope this helps.
Yes, this is the correct driver.

I don't think the driver changed with the service pack, but nobody supports XP pre SP2 now.

SP2 and SP3 can easily be downloaded from the net, and are strongly reccomended for security.

If you have the Olympus driver installed already there is no harm in installing it again: you will simply overwrite the file.

Please note: Installing Olympus Studio or Viewer DOES NOT INSTALL THE DRIVER. This may sound perverse, but it is true.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some progress to report. I uninstalled all three programs, Viewer, Master, Studio, and rebooted. Then I installed Viewer, and connected the camera and switched it on [set to Control], and the bliblum sound of Windows sounded, detected new hardware! I thought I had cracked it. But Viewer still says no camera detected. So does Master, also reinstalled. Yet, when I started to install Master, it had said 'Can't complete install there is a camera connected. Disconnect canera and try again' What do you make of that? Hardware is clearly ok, USB cable and socket, Windows recognises it as a camera, Master install does likewise, but once installed and asked to update firmware, it doesn't. So this would appear to be a mental problem

I have the latest updates as I have auto updates enabled. So assume all drivers will be too?
Old 5th December 2008

Quote:
Some progress to report. I uninstalled all three programs, Viewer, Master, Studio, and rebooted. Then I installed Viewer, and connected the camera and switched it on [set to Control], and the bliblum sound of Windows sounded, detected new hardware! I thought I had cracked it. But Viewer still says no camera detected. So does Master, also reinstalled. Yet, when I started to install Master, it had said 'Can't complete install there is a camera connected. Disconnect canera and try again' What do you make of that? Hardware is clearly ok, USB cable and socket, Windows recognises it as a camera, Master install does likewise, but once installed and asked to update firmware, it doesn't. So this would appear to be a mental problem

I have the latest updates as I have auto updates enabled. So assume all drivers will be too?

OK. I'm not quite sure what you are expecting to see when the camera is connected?

If the camera is in STORAGE mode, if you select GET IMAGES it will present you with a dialogue box showing the images that can be downloaded. (Note: this can take several minutes if you have a full memory card). You should also see the camera as a volume (drive letter) in My Computer.

You can only update the firmware when the camera is set to CONTROL.

Microsoft Auto Update only updates Microsoft content, and Microsoft certified drivers. Manufacturers drivers are often much more up to date.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes I know, been through the way to find where to set that, boy is it hidden! So, yes all set right. It's not that I expect to see anything other than [perhaps] a camera icon in MyComputer under Scanners and Cameras, but it sounds so is clearly connected.
Further developments: Since Viewer still couldn't see the camera even after the changes, I decided to install the driver for XP again, but it wouldn't let me without Studio being installed, so did that again and then the driver. On launching Studio Camera Control and switching on the camera, the system crashed to the blue screen of death, and it did this twice when I tried to access the camera from Studio Camera Control. Viewer still fails to see it from Help/Update Firmware.
I'm able to view ad copy pictures in Master 2 which launched after I put the camera in Storage mode and switched it on [it asked me first] so connection to the computer isn't an issue, nor is the physical connection. It's something to do with connecting to the update site...
Old 5th December 2008

You won't see a camera icon for the E1 in cameras and scanners, but you should see a drive letter in My Computer.

I had a similar problem installing a 3 mobile broadband dongle onto my Toshiba laptop (running XP Pro). I have tried everything to get it to work properly, but the laptop OS just will not see the dongle. I called 3 and the lady there gave me a script so I could run it manually. I have seen it work properly on two occasions (very briefly), but otherwise I have had to use it manually.

I always suspected the dongle, but a few weeks ago BT managed to cut through our phone lines somewhere, leaving us without internet for a week. I plugged the dongle into my desktop and bingo, it worked straight away.

There will proably be something set deep in the registry somewhere, but without a phD in interpreting Microsoft code there is little chance of finding anything.

Maybe re-installing Windoze might work.................

Think maybe I should get my coat.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah but, there's difficult and difficult
Old 21st December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Latest report on this saga:

I managed to get back and take some more shots. First thing to say is that it was definitely the effect of light, it looked totally different to the eye, and the camera, to last time; the day was clear and bright, and earlier in the day so the sun in a different position.

I have fitted a UV filter now, and the odd thing is that now the wood beams seem to have a rose tint which I wasn't aware of while there, but which shows in the shot, see below. As far as I'm aware [!] I've been unable to adjust WB as I have failed to find out how to.

As a comparison, I also took one with the little Kodak point and shoot, which oddly seems to be the most accurate colour wise and shows it much as I 'saw' it with unfiltered eyes. Of course, I should have taken the UV off for a comparison shot, but forgot.

The interesting thing is that the wood looked untreated, just very aged oak, almost grey, but clearly has the quality of picking up colour in an interesting way.

This is the shot with the Olympus and UV filter.

This is the shot with the Kodak

And this the original blue period one!

Old 22nd December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Really strange how this has happened, and interesting to see your most recent pictures too.