Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 5th December 2011
steveb1978

OM Lenses and other bits

Hi,

I have recently obtained a number of OM lenses, I have been using (quite a lot actually), the 135mm Auto T lens primarily because it works out as a very compact 270mm lens and I don't like to carry too much gear with me

What im wondering is if 2 & 3x OM teleconvertors will work on a 4/3 camera as the sound of a compact 540mm (2x) 810mm (3x) is really appealing.

Thanks

Steve
Old 5th December 2011

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
Re: OM Lenses and other bits

It might be appealing but the results won't be up to much. Stick with the x1.4or x2 Zuikos but they won't be cheap, or plentiful. Useless you can get them cheap, don't bother with any of the indepenents. I won't go near a x3!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 5th December 2011

Liked 1,344 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
It might be appealing but the results won't be up to much. Stick with the x1.4or x2 Zuikos but they won't be cheap, or plentiful. Useless you can get them cheap, don't bother with any of the indepenents. I won't go near a x3!
The OM Zuiko 2x-A was compatible with the regular 135mm lenses.

The OM Zuiko 1.4x-A may not fit, the front elements protrude into the rear of the lens it's mounted on so you have to be careful using it with lenses it's not listed as being compatible with.

See the following link for more info on the 1.4x-A and 2x-A;

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...tmls/TC14X.htm

The 2x-A is much more common (and a lot cheaper) than the 1.4x-A.

David M's Photoblog
Old 6th December 2011

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb1978 View Post
Hi,

I have recently obtained a number of OM lenses, I have been using (quite a lot actually), the 135mm Auto T lens primarily because it works out as a very compact 270mm lens and I don't like to carry too much gear with me

What im wondering is if 2 & 3x OM teleconvertors will work on a 4/3 camera as the sound of a compact 540mm (2x) 810mm (3x) is really appealing.

Thanks

Steve
Zuiko 135mm is a wonderful lens. It had successfully replaced my Zuiko 40-150mm Mk2.

A 2x Tele-converter will probably not satisfy you.
I own the original Olympus 2x-A and I wasn't thrilled by it either.
Its results are good to very good when used on a film camera but on digital.... not that good.

Also consider that with 2x teleconverter you will lose 2 stops so it is only useful with bright lenses (f/2.8 or less).

I've come to the conclusion that it was very greedy of me to ask from any lens to show 4 times its intended focal length (2x crop camera + 2x tele-converter).

3rd party Tele-converters will be much worse.
-Yoshihisa Maitani
Old 6th December 2011
steveb1978

Thanks guys that's food for thought
Old 7th December 2011

Liked 1,344 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko-holic View Post
Zuiko 135mm is a wonderful lens. It had successfully replaced my Zuiko 40-150mm Mk2.

A 2x Tele-converter will probably not satisfy you.
I own the original Olympus 2x-A and I wasn't thrilled by it either.
Its results are good to very good when used on a film camera but on digital.... not that good.

Also consider that with 2x teleconverter you will lose 2 stops so it is only useful with bright lenses (f/2.8 or less).

I've come to the conclusion that it was very greedy of me to ask from any lens to show 4 times its intended focal length (2x crop camera + 2x tele-converter).

3rd party Tele-converters will be much worse.
I've no complaints about the 2x-A on either film or digital and I use/used it with lenses not on the Olympus compatibility list (Tamron 90mm macro, Zuiko 300mm and Zuiko 350mm).

I do have 2 samples of the 2x-A and think one could be slightly better than the other but don't know which one is currently in my camera bag.

David M's Photoblog