Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 31st August 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
50-200SWD Problem

I have just usd the lens yesterday and today, not used it for a few weeks.

I started to notice that the lens was struggling to focus

E3 works fine with the 12-60 so I know it is not the body.

When the 50-200 is trying to focus you can hear a clicking sound, like the drive train has not engaged correctly, you can focus it manually and get focus conformation, just.

The lens has not been dropped but anybody any idea or is it going to have to go to Olympus. It was a brand new lens but not bought from a shop so not sure what to do.

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 31st August 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: 50-200SWD Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by knikki View Post
I have just usd the lens yesterday and today, not used it for a few weeks.

I started to notice that the lens was struggling to focus

E3 works fine with the 12-60 so I know it is not the body.

When the 50-200 is trying to focus you can hear a clicking sound, like the drive train has not engaged correctly, you can focus it manually and get focus conformation, just.

The lens has not been dropped but anybody any idea or is it going to have to go to Olympus. It was a brand new lens but not bought from a shop so not sure what to do.
Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune. You say you did not buy from a shop, where did you get it from? Have you registered the lens with Olympus?

Peter

PS
Just noted that you are no-longer on line so I will add this:
1. Phone Olympus Technical Support and tell them what has happened and ask them what they would recommend.
2. Contact Customer Service in Watford and advise them of what you have been told by Technical Support. If they pronounce it dead, then ask if its posible for a foc replacement.
3. I have always found both Technical support & Customer Services helpful and sympathetic.

Good luck

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Last edited by PeterD; 31st August 2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 31st August 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks Peter

I bought the lens from one of the other forum members, it was new boxed and had all the paper work with it.

Just check i have not registered the lens on the Olympus Website, so would not have sent the paper work from the lens off either

Old 31st August 2008

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unhappy Re: 50-200SWD Problem

I have no experience with this lens, but before you get depressed just check that all contacts are clean and that the lens is mounted on the body properly. Are their any modes or switches on the body / lens that could have been changed accidentally?

A call to Olympus in the AM may put your mind at ease.
Old 1st September 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks Cathal

No switches on the lens, and have cleaned the contacts but still not working. Will give Olympus a ring later

Old 15th October 2008
Jeremy Evans

I have a similar problem. Having worked perfectly my 50-200 SWD suddenly refused to autofocus. I sent it to Olympus who said they would give it a full service. 3 weeks later it came back and is still not right. The lens intermittently locks up and won't focus at longer focal lengths, but is fine anywhere close to 50mm. Olympus collected the lens today. I asked them to send me a new lens instead, but they have so far refused.
I used a standard 50-200 to take thousands of images with my E1. No problems with that lens. My E3 works perfectly with the 12-60 at all focal lengths.
At this point, I am very disappointed with Olympus, not least because I need that lens for my work.
Old 15th October 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

That is unlucky

I ended up sending my lens back to Oly and after about 2weeks it came back all sorted and has been working ok since.

Hope it gets sorted soon.

Old 15th October 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Evans View Post
I have a similar problem. Having worked perfectly my 50-200 SWD suddenly refused to autofocus. I sent it to Olympus who said they would give it a full service. 3 weeks later it came back and is still not right. The lens intermittently locks up and won't focus at longer focal lengths, but is fine anywhere close to 50mm. Olympus collected the lens today. I asked them to send me a new lens instead, but they have so far refused.
I used a standard 50-200 to take thousands of images with my E1. No problems with that lens. My E3 works perfectly with the 12-60 at all focal lengths.
At this point, I am very disappointed with Olympus, not least because I need that lens for my work.
Sorry to hear your story Jeremy. I have a lot of praise for my experience with Oly as they have always been sympathetic to my issues. What actions are you taking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knikki View Post
That is unlucky

I ended up sending my lens back to Oly and after about 2weeks it came back all sorted and has been working ok since.

Hope it gets sorted soon.
Knikki

Meant to ask how you got on. I am pleased to hear that all is well again.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/