Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 26th April 2012

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts
First shots

A couple of my recent shots. I've been using the camera for about a week now and starting to have a play.

The first two have had some slight PP - a B&W and slight vignette on the first (perhaps hides the motion blur - should have jacked up the ISO a little) and just some colour enhancement to the second. Third photo is straight off the card. Hints, tips and criticism all gratefully received

Harmonix by a_t_b321, on Flickr

Under the bridge by a_t_b321, on Flickr

Bluebells by a_t_b321, on Flickr
Old 26th April 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
Re: First shots

Love your user name! Welcome to the forum.

I like No 1 best, it has a nice atmosphere which is enhanced by the B&W treatment. The other two are not of subjects that particularly inspire me but they are useful studies for the purpose of exploring your camera and becoming aquainted with what it can do.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th April 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Hullo Alky, I also use the e-410 and I noticed Number2 looking a bit 'crispy', something my Jpegs do unless I set sharpening to minus 2 all the time.
Various reviews recognised the oversharpening default and it turns out minus2 is the same as zero on other cameras. Try it, you should get very sharp pictures but not oversharpened.
Also try white balance minus 1 amber, mine needs this for better woodland greens.

Also "slight vignetting"? Muhahaha.

Also also : your "Feta and spinach pie" is a far better photo and should be posted right at the top. Seriously.
Old 27th April 2012

Thanks for the positive comments. The first I wanted to try and get closer without losing too much of the overall scene hence closign it down in GIMP with a lens correction and a black base layer.

I struggled somewhat to get good shots of the bluebells. The colour was tricky and was having some weather issues. The second image posted here Ulfric, I think is over sharpened because of the PP I've done. I boosted the saturation and notched up the brightness. I take on board the sharpening tips, I'll have a look at playing more with the settings Again thanks for the WB tip - If the weather holds I may get back out there after work today.

I'd toyed with the idea of using RAW but really am still mastering the camera and am confident editing JPEGs for the mean time.

And again, thanks for the comment on the pie. There was only slight nudge on the colour. I really like the colour and detail but wish I'd used a better plate and cleared some bits off the worktop. Tasted good too!
Old 27th April 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

There's some really interesting contrasts going on in the top right corner of #2, worthy of a revisit to the site, maybe. It would be interesting to see just those leaves against the bricks, they're really lovely together.
Old 27th April 2012

Noted. Weather is so so with some blue sky. Half an hour or so and I can be back there. I can grab a few RAWs if you are interested in them to have a play with?
Old 28th April 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

Awfully generous of you to consider carrying out my suggestion...we just don't have such cool-looking bricks here (earthquakes, y'know).
Old 28th April 2012

have to drive the girlfriend to work shortly then I'll stick them in my Dropbox. PM me your email address and we can sort out access for you.

Said bricks are probably late '20s or very early '30s from history of the structures purpose. There are some very nice deco features which I failed to capture well yesterday. I got distracted! And later got distracted by a RAW plug in for GIMP and how poor Olympus Master is. RAW = wow! Shame that the transfer (about 1gb or 40 ish frames JPEG and RAW) takes a while off the card but even the limited play I had may convert me for the pick of the shots.