Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th July 2017

Liked 2,402 Times in 1,582 Posts
Re: Has Theresa May shot herself in the foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Some interesting thoughts Nigel.

I'd like to address your first point about the author's perspective, which I would instinctively agree with - although that may be doing him a disservice as I have no way of knowing whether he would have been less critical of Labour policy. Perspective depends on where you stand. The responses to the article from other professional economists didn't take the view that the article was for or against any particular political persuasion, they were discussed from the standpoint of economic practice, although in some you could get a sense of the political leanings of whoever was making a point. However, the thrust of the thing was a rational debate based on sound, well thought out theory.

I formed the view that the author was writing from a left wing perspective because the whole thrust of his argument was that public sector pay should be increased; which is usually a left wing, or at least a Labour party trait. His other blogs may well be written from a different standpoint.

Mr Dillow did concede that increasing public sector pay might be inflationary, (ergo affecting all of us), but he barely mentioned those in the private sector; many of whom are considerably worse off than comparable public sector workers, and don't have the benefit of good pensions and sick pay, nor of powerful trades unions.

Statistics can be dangerous, but the IFS suggests that on average, public sector employees are 3% better off than those working in the private sector, which isn't much, and should probably be within the margins allowed for error. However, the self employed and those running micro sized businesses, who represent by far the fastest growing employment sector in the UK, (currently around 2.7 million), have seen their incomes shrink by about 30% over the past few years, and despite paying large sums for NI they don't have the benefit of sick pay, maternity pay and so forth. Indeed, many self employed are working for les than the minimum wage. How would they cope with inflationary pay rises elsewhere?

Of course the bigger picture here is the widening gap between the 'rich' and 'poor', which quite understandably leads those who are less well off to feel they have a raw deal. I am actually not that bothered by Russian £billionaires living here or the aristocracy as they have done me no harm, and there is always some trickle down.

I am far more concerned about ordinary working people and pensioners being ripped off by the growing band of 'get rich quick' merchants, whose only objective is to relieve the public of their hard earned cash, often with little in return.

Amongst the depressing news on the BBC News app this morning was an item about pre-paid funeral plans, which are often sold by high pressure sales people who can expect to earn up to £1,000 for every policy they sell. And yet many of these plans are failing to pay out sufficient funds to cover the full cost of funerals, leaving families to pay £2,000 or more for costs which are not covered. Some schemes also face collapse.

Thousands may be let down by funeral plans.

This is all very reminiscent of the Endowment Policy scandal of a few years ago, where life policies sold by pushy sales reps earning high commissions failed to pay out as promised, leaving many people including ourselves with mortgage shortfalls of £tens of thousands. And the reps were nowhere to be seen.

Quote:
In the political and media world, it seems that rational and reasoned argument is seen as a left wing construct. Compare and contrast to, say, the clamour to repeal environmental protections and Trump's climate change denial.
Perhaps this is because any right wing thinking, however logical, tends to be scorned by the liberal elite, hijacked and sensationalised by the right wing press, and roundly criticised in the Grauniad. Equally, left wing thinking is often misreported by the right wing press, but exalted in the Grauniad. I suppose it comes down to which newspapers you read.

Right wing thinking also tends to be less popular with the general public as there are rarely any windfalls on offer, whereas left wing thinking invariably involves some kind of 'free' giveaway.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th July 2017

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
There was a study done in Canada on UK data which suggested something quite different. And a UK paper that would make interesting reading if I could download it. Mind you, these relate to cognitive ability specifically, which AFAIK is not the same thing as "intelligence", a word which I suspect has different meanings to different people.
Interesting: I can download it, and if you pm me your email address I can send it to you, if you like. It's a bit beyond my social sciences intellectual pay grade, but it'll probably mean more to you!

I'll see if I can track down the US study I was quoting - I think I picked it up from the Point of Inquiry podcast. Being a recent meta-analysis your Kent review should have more weight.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 7th July 2017

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

[QUOTE=drmarkf;420132]Interesting: I can download it, and if you pm me your email address I can send it to you, if you like. It's a bit beyond my social sciences intellectual pay grade, but it'll probably mean more to you!
QUOTE]

Thanks. Not sure how well I'll do, but it'll be interesting. It's all changed since I last read a psychology textbook.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts

Theresa is on holiday, taking long walks in the high Alps. As we know, she likes to come up with political ideas when she is out walking. The low concentration of oxygen at that altitude should add a certain quality to her thoughts.

Harold
Jim Ford (31st July 2017)
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Theresa is on holiday, taking long walks in the high Alps. As we know, she likes to come up with political ideas when she is out walking. The low concentration of oxygen at that altitude should add a certain quality to her thoughts.

Harold
Good for rarefied thinking. Meanwhile, Corbyn is probably holidaying in the Mariana Trench.

I'm surprised this thread is still alive after all this time.

on flickr
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Meanwhile, Corbyn is probably holidaying in the Mariana Trench.
Deep in thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I'm surprised this thread is still alive after all this time.
Gunshot wounds take a long time to heal.

Harold
Old 30th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Deep in thought!

Harold
About the financial mess he will create, given half a chance.

on flickr
Old 30th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Me too Ricoh, sadly Harold has given it the "kiss of life "

John
It's a topic that could last the length of her reign, after which I think she should take over from Liz II.

on flickr