Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th November 2013

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts
Oops! (Car story)

Taken from a car forum..

"Help guys.
Stuck at home with no gears.
I decided to change my Auto Transmission Fluid, so drained to old stuff out and put a litre of Dextron 3 ATF in. I couldn't see anything on the dipstick so I figured I must have drained more than that out, so I put another litre in. Still nothing on the dipstick and no gears. What's going on ???"

After some debate: "You know the auto transmission filler is on the opposite side to the dipstick. I think you just put 2 litres of ATF in the front diff..."

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (5th November 2013)
Old 5th November 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Oops! (Car story)

What do they say? A little learning ..... (Alexander Pope 1688 - 1744). And they didn't have auto transmission in those days either.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 5th November 2013

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

So now you have an auto dif pity it has not been programmed ............. OK I am going

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 5th November 2013

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

I once watched a maintenance guy try to top up the ATF on a fork truck by pouring it down the hole for the dip stick. After a while I walked over and pulled the rubber plug out of the filler hole.

David M's Photoblog
Old 6th November 2013

Liked 704 Times in 373 Posts

This happened to me..

I crawl under my car and drain the lubricant oil. Poured the used into a recycling tank and return the pan under the car to catch the remaining drops. Clean the car engine, replaced the filter, check the plugs and etc. Then decide to fill the lubricant. Poured in about 4 lit and pulled the dipstick..NOTHING only then it occurred to me, I forgot to replace the drain plug

All my garbage so far.
Old 6th November 2013

Liked 91 Times in 29 Posts

After many years in the motor trade I've seen many things.
The gent who opened the bonnet topped up the radiator. No was pouring water into the engine.
The apprentice who said The oil light won't go out. Did you up any oil in?
The van that disappeared into a cloud of smoke because the driver kept topping the oil up. It was that over full that it started to burn its own oil and over revved until it stopped with a large clatter.

I could go on often the biggest problem is RTFM I'm sure you can work it out.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 6th November 2013

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Lucky you didn't try to fit your battery into the SD card slot. A car is a peice of metal, a camera is for fun.
Old 6th November 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekC View Post
I could go on often the biggest problem is RTFM I'm sure you can work it out.
But RTFM isn't the lesson most men (and 99% of the time, it IS men!) need to learn. That lesson is 'If you know nothing about car maintenance, don't mess under the bonnet!' - even if your wife thinks you ought to be able to 'sort it out because this is a man thing and you're a man, aren't you?'

I know nothing about car maintenance.

My wife has finally grasped this and has finally stopped asking me about car problems.
Old 6th November 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,757 Times in 793 Posts

Just had a £400+ bill for a new engine/gearbox oil seal. Some of you may recall that the we discovered (after the water pump froze solid and the radiator split) that the previous keeper of the car had drained the coolant and replaced it with plain water. At the first service there was a note of an oil leak but we never saw any oil marks on the drive way. But since August I had put in 3 litres of oil despite the car only having done about 3K miles in that time. It turned out a) there is sponge on a plastic try the lies under the engine, which explains why no oil was found on the ground and b) that when extracted the old seal hadn't been fitted properly; part of it was folded on itself, hence the leak and evidence that the engine had been out at some time. The car was sold to us as with full service history and regularly serviced. Did I mention the failed aircon compressor, stretched timing chain (£700), missing jack, missing radio aerial, missing luggage compartment light, etc.?

I blame myself for the little things but the engine problems were completely hidden. We did get the split radiator paid for by our credit card company but only after me asking for my money back and the car to be returned to the dealer (who had wiped his hands of the affair). The CC card company's 'customer service' people actually sent me letters telling me this and that which Trading Standards said were illegal

I know this is a bit long and boring but we recently bought a 2006 Astra for my daughter to learn to drive with as well as to replace our old second car and so we decided to buy from a big national main dealer (Evans Halshaw) and get an AA inspection done. We even had some faults fixed at our own cost as part of the deal (new steering arms and timing belt). The aircon compressor wasn't working so they said they would fix that at no cost to me. Yes, this was one of their 'cheapie' runabout used card deals but what they did was fit a 'used' (not reconditioned) aircon compressor. In my opinion it's far too noisy and of course the AA inspection didn't cover this at the time. Trying to figure out what the next step should be...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 6th November 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

First car I ever owned, a pale blue Chevette : I topped up the brake fluid reservoir with cheapo motor oil.
Actually made no difference ...

Once I got better cars I understood how shoddy Chevettes were.

How much??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
...stretched timing chain (£700), ...
I'm SO stingey : I was putting off and putting off replacing the timing belt for ages : did it a few months ago and the part was slightly more than a tenner. Deal!
Old 6th November 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,757 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
First car I ever owned, a pale blue Chevette : I topped up the brake fluid reservoir with cheapo motor oil.
Actually made no difference ...

Once I got better cars I understood how shoddy Chevettes were.

How much??

I'm SO stingey : I was putting off and putting off replacing the timing belt for ages : did it a few months ago and the part was slightly more than a tenner. Deal!
A belt is one thing - it's not too expensive although you should really have a belt tensioner replaced at the same time. On the Astra including labour it was only about £150, but a chain, which is internal to the engine and requires a partial strip-down, is megabucks by comparison.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 6th November 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Luckily timing chains rarely need replacing. Unluckily for me, I've had to have the chain and tensioner replaced on two of my classic SAAB900s in the past!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 6th November 2013

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Just had to trade in my Honda Jazz (2007) as all of a sudden there was a noise like tappets and no matter how loud I turned the radio up I kept hearing it....lol
The service was due and took it in to the main dealer who listed all the stuff that was nearing the time for replacements like brakes and discs and also noted "a rattle" on the gearbox bearings.
No urgent warning to me so I said what happens if I carry on driving and they said "it will get louder".
Went on line to check it out and found out it is a known fault on the Jazz and if you take out extended warranty - after the 3 years you get usually - it is listed to be replaced if it goes in 7 years. Most people found it did go around then and the parts are quite cheap but it needs a strip down......I phoned for a quote and they did not rush getting back but eventually told me £960.
With the other replacements it would be getting on for 2 grand.....
Within days it was like a pneumatic drill in all the gears now....not just 1st and second as it was to start with.
At the service they reported water in the spare wheel recess in the boot and that it was probably a seal gone...I knew about this for years as again on line its another well know fault with a Jazz and a lot of dealers never find out the cause.
Within days I traded in against a new Kia Rio diesel and the dealer took off £500 for the gearbox bearing repair...I was so relieved to get it to the dealer on the day as it felt like it would just stop at any moment.
Got 7 years warranty now and I can see this being our last car.....just got to pay the finance off first.
Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 9th November 2013

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
...... we decided to buy from a big national main dealer (Evans Halshaw)
I bet you won't make that mistake again! Shysters.

We made the mistake of buying a fifteen month old Mk 5 Astra from EH about three years ago.

There was a noticeable clutch judder when we test drove it, but my wife liked it and the car was otherwise fine, so we decided to buy it on the understanding that the clutch would be fixed before we took delivery. We also took out the EH extended warranty, which turned out to be a complete waste of money.

Delivery day came, and we were told that the clutch had been replaced, and would take a few days to 'bed in'. Fair enough, it seemed a lot better, but with regular use we found that the clutch judder became extreme in heavy traffic, and when negotiating multi-story car parks.

I contacted EH, and was assured that the problem would be resolved when the next service was due in a month or so.

When the service was carried out I received a phone call informing me that the clutch had a severe judder, so I asked them to replace it. I was quoted £1,100, so I reminded them that it was still under the manufacturer's warranty.

Apparently Vauxhall will not honour warranty claims for clutches after 12 months / 15,000 miles have elapsed, irrespective of the vehicle's warranty, as they class these as 'wear and tear' items; even though the clutch was clearly faulty; added to which I had found out by this time that clutch judder on the Astra is a well known issue, and is not caused by wear or bad driving.

I also reminded them that I had reported the problem before we purchased the car, (which was well inside the 12 month / 15,000 mile deadline) and that the clutch had already been replaced once. They denied all knowledge of this, and also denied that the clutch had been replaced (which made a lot of sense by this time).

I asked if it could be repaired under the EH extended warranty, but was told that this was only for "sudden mechanical failures", and not faulty parts.

Months of fruitless negotiation followed, until I heard that the same branch of EH had been prosecuted in the Magistrates Court for misrepresentation and lying to a customer. I threatened to issue proceedings against them, enclosing a copy of the newspaper report from the Magistrates Court, and as if by magic the problem was resolved without charge!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th November 2013

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Hurray...at last the little man wins......makes Arthur Dailey sound like a good guy.

I had an episode with Renault when they messed me about several times over a problem with the car not starting in damp/rain.
They had it in and sat on it all morning until I came to pick it up and said they were waiting for me to outline the problem before they could start....I told them a few times before AND on the morning.....this was after they had had it in the week previous and replaced part/all the carb.
I had to wait while they messed around again and they gave me the bill and I said it was wrong as I wanted the price of the Carb from last week taken off as it had not solved the problem.....they refused and said I could not have the keys unless I paid in full......at this point I marched into the managers office and told him my story and he said no refund.
I then sat down and refused to move without the refund....he said he would call the police to get me out of the office so I picked the phone up and said I would call them and tell the Police THEY had taken money knowing it had not solved the problem.....the stand off continued for about 1/2 an hour until he said he could not give a refund but how about a tank of petrol with a credit note for the petrol station next door.
I agreed as long as it was in the form of 2 credits as I had 1/2 a tank already.
They never found the reason for the problem...but I did later as it was damp building up in the rotor arm and I had to keep unscrewing the 2 bolts and drying it off.....if the internet was around at the time i would not have had this trouble as lots of people would have had the same thing.
Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........