Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 23rd June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wild Grass

I am not happy with this picture & am looking for critique on how I should have done things differently to have improved it, I think for starters it needed a bit more DOF, but to get more DOF would have meant the ISO going up which I was trying to avoid as I was worried it could create noise on the detail areas, any suggestions & opinions would be most welcome

Old 23rd June 2010

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts
Re: Wild Grass

Was this an indoor shot? If so, could you wind up the lighting so you get more dof while keeping the ISO down??

If it was an outdoor shot - well done to get a white background :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 23rd June 2010

Liked 86 Times in 25 Posts

I wonder if the background is too stark. Might be my monitor, but when I look at it it appears almost like a silhouette - it's obviously just a trick of the eye though.

Mike
Old 23rd June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Was this an indoor shot? If so, could you wind up the lighting so you get more dof while keeping the ISO down??

If it was an outdoor shot - well done to get a white background :-)

Pete
I confess this was staged indoors, however I dont have any studio lights & this was achieved by only using natural light, maybe I should have used a reflector to get more light on the subject? What do you think Pete?
Old 23rd June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag2000 View Post
I wonder if the background is too stark. Might be my monitor, but when I look at it it appears almost like a silhouette - it's obviously just a trick of the eye though.

Mike
This is what I found hardest, trying not to make it look like a silhouette, but for it to have a clean background
Old 23rd June 2010

Liked 86 Times in 25 Posts

Maybe using an ever so-slightly-off-white background, might help. Or maybe get closer to the grass?

To be honest, I think if you printed it and put it on the wall it would look really good and the white wouldn't be a problem. I like the shot, but viewing on screen probably doesn't do it justice.

Mike
Old 23rd June 2010

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

Yes, maybe a reflector would help. If the background is (for example) matt paper with daylight coming through it, then you really will need flash to fill in the shadows on the subject.

If it is white card and the lighting is from left or right then maybe the reflector will help. Flash is often the answer, I keep a couple of off camera flashes an various means of triggering them in case I need to do something artistic :-)

I heard a David Bailey story. DB is in his studio with a model, a big white background and load and loads of studio grade flashes aimed and model, background and whatever. In comes the customer. "I thought we agreed on a grey background"

DB: "It will be grey when all these flashes go off"

See, so its all about controlling the lighting

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 23rd June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Yes, maybe a reflector would help. If the background is (for example) matt paper with daylight coming through it, then you really will need flash to fill in the shadows on the subject.

If it is white card and the lighting is from left or right then maybe the reflector will help. Flash is often the answer, I keep a couple of off camera flashes an various means of triggering them in case I need to do something artistic :-)

I heard a David Bailey story. DB is in his studio with a model, a big white background and load and loads of studio grade flashes aimed and model, background and whatever. In comes the customer. "I thought we agreed on a grey background"

DB: "It will be grey when all these flashes go off"

See, so its all about controlling the lighting

Pete
Thank you very much for the help Pete, I think you have hit the nail on the head & I should have given it a burst of flash! Seems so obvious now