Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23rd June 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wild Grass

I am not happy with this picture & am looking for critique on how I should have done things differently to have improved it, I think for starters it needed a bit more DOF, but to get more DOF would have meant the ISO going up which I was trying to avoid as I was worried it could create noise on the detail areas, any suggestions & opinions would be most welcome



__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23rd June 2010
snaarman's Avatar
snaarman snaarman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baaarkshire UK
Posts: 6,867
Thanks: 502
Thanked 417 Times in 325 Posts
Likes: 492
Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts
Re: Wild Grass

Was this an indoor shot? If so, could you wind up the lighting so you get more dof while keeping the ISO down??

If it was an outdoor shot - well done to get a white background :-)

Pete
__________________
Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23rd June 2010
snag2000 snag2000 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 385
Thanks: 3
Thanked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Likes: 16
Liked 86 Times in 25 Posts
Re: Wild Grass

I wonder if the background is too stark. Might be my monitor, but when I look at it it appears almost like a silhouette - it's obviously just a trick of the eye though.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd June 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Wild Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Was this an indoor shot? If so, could you wind up the lighting so you get more dof while keeping the ISO down??

If it was an outdoor shot - well done to get a white background :-)

Pete
I confess this was staged indoors, however I dont have any studio lights & this was achieved by only using natural light, maybe I should have used a reflector to get more light on the subject? What do you think Pete?
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23rd June 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Wild Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag2000 View Post
I wonder if the background is too stark. Might be my monitor, but when I look at it it appears almost like a silhouette - it's obviously just a trick of the eye though.

Mike
This is what I found hardest, trying not to make it look like a silhouette, but for it to have a clean background
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd June 2010
snag2000 snag2000 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 385
Thanks: 3
Thanked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Likes: 16
Liked 86 Times in 25 Posts
Re: Wild Grass

Maybe using an ever so-slightly-off-white background, might help. Or maybe get closer to the grass?

To be honest, I think if you printed it and put it on the wall it would look really good and the white wouldn't be a problem. I like the shot, but viewing on screen probably doesn't do it justice.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23rd June 2010
snaarman's Avatar
snaarman snaarman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baaarkshire UK
Posts: 6,867
Thanks: 502
Thanked 417 Times in 325 Posts
Likes: 492
Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts
Re: Wild Grass

Yes, maybe a reflector would help. If the background is (for example) matt paper with daylight coming through it, then you really will need flash to fill in the shadows on the subject.

If it is white card and the lighting is from left or right then maybe the reflector will help. Flash is often the answer, I keep a couple of off camera flashes an various means of triggering them in case I need to do something artistic :-)

I heard a David Bailey story. DB is in his studio with a model, a big white background and load and loads of studio grade flashes aimed and model, background and whatever. In comes the customer. "I thought we agreed on a grey background"

DB: "It will be grey when all these flashes go off"

See, so its all about controlling the lighting

Pete
__________________
Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23rd June 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Wild Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Yes, maybe a reflector would help. If the background is (for example) matt paper with daylight coming through it, then you really will need flash to fill in the shadows on the subject.

If it is white card and the lighting is from left or right then maybe the reflector will help. Flash is often the answer, I keep a couple of off camera flashes an various means of triggering them in case I need to do something artistic :-)

I heard a David Bailey story. DB is in his studio with a model, a big white background and load and loads of studio grade flashes aimed and model, background and whatever. In comes the customer. "I thought we agreed on a grey background"

DB: "It will be grey when all these flashes go off"

See, so its all about controlling the lighting

Pete
Thank you very much for the help Pete, I think you have hit the nail on the head & I should have given it a burst of flash! Seems so obvious now
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wild Red Kite tlove Foto Fair 19 1st March 2010 05:37 PM
Wild Life Photograher Of The Year Barr1e The lounge 12 5th November 2008 03:18 PM
Grass Eggar andym Foto Fair 1 3rd August 2008 08:34 PM
Hooked on Grass Nick Temple-Fry Foto Fair 7 12th June 2008 12:01 AM
My first Adder... in the wild too! theMusicMan Foto Fair 20 30th April 2008 12:30 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:46 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger