Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 3rd December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool first proper ones

Well Gents, I went out for a second time and took a few shots
not sure how I did, but I'm sure you'll tell me
I've selected some, filed them, resized them, uploaded them now I'm gona post just a few, I really "don't" want to bore you

OK Birdie in the garden

flower in the loung

back yard

Rubbish by shed

My Camper at the Church

Spooky Engine House

The Crypt

I think to be fair, that'll do
I would like comment (as I know you wont let me down) there are more
but as I said, I don't want to bore you especially if I'm going in the wrong direction

Thanks Robb
Old 3rd December 2009

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: first proper ones

Hi Rob

Thanks for posting these images. A really wide portfolio.

I see you have posted these to get comments on how you did and what you can do to improve them.

The bird in #1 is soft focussed. Looking generally at your images it seems that you might have a problem with depth of field (dof). In this case, your focus point appears to be right of the bird, on the grass. I shall come back to this after commenting on the others. Framing of the image is fine.

The flower in #2 is well positioned and your focus point seems to be correct. The only real problem again is depth of field. Colours are beautiful.

The back yard in #3 looks fine for dof but it looks as though the scene is not level and runs off to the left. Straightening in post processing will sort this out.

Not sure what image #4 is portraying. A little confusing.

image #5 and 6 need brightening as they are too dark and detail is lost in the shadows.

image #7 is very interesting. The eyes are directed in the right direction and it looks interesting.

I hope you accept my comments for what they are - constructive. Remember the recent debate about 'Foto Fair' and 'Looking for Perfection'. The differences between them are very fuzzy and I am beginning to agree with some that we should have another category calles say 'Looking for improvement'. If you let me know the following then I should be able to make comments that should help.

Camera settings and lenses used. Distance from camera to subject. Were these shot RAW or jpg? Photo editing carried out and in what application. There are a number of things I could add but these will only be relevant if I have a little more background info.

Thank you for posting these. If you have a look in my earlier gallery postings you will see that your images here are not at all bad in comparison with them.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 4th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: first proper ones

Well, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
No. 4 is a pile of rubbish in between the trailer and shed ! stupid picture.

6 n 7 were supposed to be like that "spooky" am I wrong in doing that?

yea maybe another category! 'First Timers'
The bird in 1 was taken threw the window/glass it was raining
I'm not sure what the settings were as I only have one lens 70-210mm
I never looked at all the other bits just pointed adjusted till I thought it was OK then shot. I just downloaded them onto my laptop, jpeg, adjusted the size, and posted onto imageshack, never altered them in any photoshop, wouldn't know how, I'm new at this as I said, and I am enjoying so far, just need to know and register the other bits on the lens/camera when I use it.

I want to go get some waves off the cliffs and maybe some of the family that are coming here today for the weekend, a few portraits? scary

I also want some portraits of my cars but that'll be when the rain stops

Well thanks again and PLEASE keep it up, commenting on my pics.

Robb
Old 4th December 2009

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishrobb View Post
Well, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
No. 4 is a pile of rubbish in between the trailer and shed ! stupid picture.

6 n 7 were supposed to be like that "spooky" am I wrong in doing that?

yea maybe another category! 'First Timers'
The bird in 1 was taken threw the window/glass it was raining
I'm not sure what the settings were as I only have one lens 70-210mm
I never looked at all the other bits just pointed adjusted till I thought it was OK then shot. I just downloaded them onto my laptop, jpeg, adjusted the size, and posted onto imageshack, never altered them in any photoshop, wouldn't know how, I'm new at this as I said, and I am enjoying so far, just need to know and register the other bits on the lens/camera when I use it.

I want to go get some waves off the cliffs and maybe some of the family that are coming here today for the weekend, a few portraits? scary

I also want some portraits of my cars but that'll be when the rain stops

Well thanks again and PLEASE keep it up, commenting on my pics.

Robb
Thanks for obviously taking my comments in the way they were intended

This will be a bit lengthy as I am taking it from your comments that you would like me to give you some things to think about and try.

The first step I would recommend is to read the Wrotniak article http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html. This deals with the E410 and not the E420 but I guess there is a lot of commonality. There is also a article about the E520/420 on the Wrotniak website which also could be worth reading. These articles will help you familiarise yourself with the camera and its capabilities.

I mentioned depth of field (dof) in response to your images. Here is a little explainer which I hope you will find useful:-
As you will already have noticed, when you focus on a subject, the actual focus point is usually sharp. As you look at objects closer to the camera from this focus point, you will see they become less sharp. The same goes as you look at objects further away from the camera and focus point. The area in front and behind the focus point where things are in focus are defined as the depth of field (dof). This is not a fixed value but you can control this to a certain extent. For a fixed focal length (lets say 70mm on your lens) and a fixed aperture (f.stop on the lens) the smaller the dof. The further away the subject is then the greater the dof. Now, if you keep the focal length at 70mm and adjust the f.stop of the lens to its minimum value (widest aperture) then the dof will be at a minimum. Increase the f.stop to its maximum that still gives you enough light to take an image, then the dof will be larger.
Take your flower image and try this out. You should be able to get the flower in full focus and still have a blurred background.

Consider what I have described above and read the Wrotniak articles. If this helps you, please let me know and we can expand further. I just feel putting too much info in one go may be counter-productive. Don't worry, these things fall into place and become instinctive the more you use the camera.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 5th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mmmmmmmm and more mmmmmmmmmmmmmm