Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th January 2019

Liked 1,649 Times in 814 Posts
Re: Political: Time for the little guy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The big guys always undercut the little guys to drive them out of business. Once the competition has been destroyed they hike up prices big time.

But that is not enough. They then have to replace trusted, reputable brands with cheap Chinese crap which has been cost reduced to the point that it no longer fulfils any useful purpose. Just try buying wood screws from B&Q and you will see what I mean. If you are lucky you will manage to screw six of them into some decent wood without shearing their heads or breaking one of their crappy Chinese made screwdrivers.

In fact I often wonder whether the engineering term 'Cheese Head Screw' somehow got lost in the translation into Chinese.

The sad truth is that WE have collectively created the B&Q's, the Amazon's and the Primark's that now dominate retail sales.

Amazon isn't even cheap any more; it is actually a lot more expensive than most independent stores, and sometimes even more expensive than the high street, and they still don't pay any tax; but Amazon does have a convenient app, delivery is next day and returns are free.

The greatest irony of all is that the middle class liberals in the leafy suburbs who berate Br***t for its effect on the British economy are the first to reach for their smartphones to order a Pritt-Stick that they could have bought from their local corner shop.
100% agree.
We allowed this to happen.

My Flickr
Old 19th January 2019

Liked 163 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Being here feels just like one of those photo clubs populated by dinosaurs.
You have a very simple solution always available to resolve that problem

Darkroom
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (21st January 2019), Naughty Nigel (19th January 2019), wornish (19th January 2019)
Old 19th January 2019

Liked 165 Times in 113 Posts

OK then, I'll stay and try to drag you into the 21st or should that be 20th century.
Old 19th January 2019

Quote:
OK then, I'll stay and try to drag you into the 21st or should that be 20th century.
Good luck with that

Darkroom
Old 19th January 2019

Liked 2,512 Times in 1,645 Posts

Quote:
If you are a working person especially a mother too how on earth can you shop like that daily.
Apart from time, money also comes into the equation which is in short supply after years of enforced austerity
May I ask are you all retired because in general you seem out of touch with the modern world
How ever did our parents manage in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's without huge supermarkets, deep freezers, mobile phones, credit cards and multi-car ownership?

I am not retired and am unlikely to ever do so. Thank you Gordon Brown for that.

People usually make their lives the way they are. Dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator may be convenient for the masses in the short term, but rarely makes things better for society overall in the long term.

Presumably those millennials who choose to shop at Amazon and eBay will still expect the NHS to function and their child benefit to be paid?

Being able to see these issues for what they are does not make one a dinosaur.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Darkroom (20th January 2019), wornish (19th January 2019)
Darkroom (19th January 2019), Jax (21st January 2019), Otto (20th January 2019), wornish (19th January 2019)
Old 19th January 2019

Quote:
If you are a working person especially a mother too how on earth can you shop like that daily.
Apart from time, money also comes into the equation which is in short supply after years of enforced austerity
May I ask are you all retired because in general you seem out of touch with the modern world

Looking at the poll we did a while back I think the majority here may be retired or about to retire. Yes, they might not up to date with the latest X-Factor winner, or what the top game download is this week, but they do have experience of life and are certainly not dinosaurs. They are also not Snowflakes to coin a phrase.

They worked their whole lives to get to where they are. Maybe a few had a little help from the state, but most again I think you will find did it through hard work and effort.

I do not believe in the Nanny State, I started with nothing and made what I have today with the support of my wife, by sheer hard work, determination and the willingness to move to where the work is.

I have two children and they are now independent and doing their own thing.

Life is not what nanny state gives you in welfare to keep you quiet.

Its what you make of it!

My Flickr
Darkroom (19th January 2019), Jax (21st January 2019), Keith-369 (20th January 2019), MJ224 (20th January 2019), Naughty Nigel (20th January 2019), OM USer (20th January 2019), TimP (20th January 2019)
Old 19th January 2019

I was born in the east end, left school at 16, worked hard and retired at 55.
House bought and paid for, my daughter studied and earned her Optometry degree.

My generation have been extremely fortunate to have had an affordable housing market.
Also benefitted from final salary pensions and for the most part a settled economy.

The youngsters today are finding life much harder than we did.
House prices at unaffordable levels, poor pensions and rubbish job prospects thanks to things such as zero hours contracts.
We haven't left much of a legacy and even now want to remove access to the EU which we have enjoyed for the last forty or more years.
Why not look around and try to see the good things rather than just moan how crap everything is.
Old 19th January 2019

Quote:
I was born in the east end, left school at 16, worked hard and retired at 55.
House bought and paid for, my daughter studied and earned her Optometry degree.

My generation have been extremely fortunate to have had an affordable housing market.
Also benefitted from final salary pensions and for the most part a settled economy.

The youngsters today are finding life much harder than we did.
House prices at unaffordable levels, poor pensions and rubbish job prospects thanks to things such as zero hours contracts.
We haven't left much of a legacy and even now want to remove access to the EU which we have enjoyed for the last forty or more years.
Why not look around and try to see the good things rather than just moan how crap everything is.
Why not ask your Optometrist daughter if she can suggest a treatment that might open your eyes to reality ?

Darkroom
Jax (21st January 2019), Naughty Nigel (20th January 2019)
Old 19th January 2019

I may be a dinosaur but watching people fill large shopping carts so full of pretty shrink wrapped timber at our local B&Q Superstore that they can hardly push it always makes me chuckle.

There is a large timber supplier not 800 yds away where they would have paid at least 40% less but it would not have been shrink wrapped. The same applies to supermarket shopping. We have friends who freely admit when purchasing fresh meat etc. all they look at is the pack price, not the price per kilo. In such purchases, the price per kilo is the only way of determining actual costings. One younger married friend states "we don't do kilo's"

We have become a nation of fast food and convenience shoppers who are happy to forfeit value, quality and service in favour of ease. Frankly if being a dinosaur means the opposite of that then so be it.

Darkroom
Jax (21st January 2019), Naughty Nigel (20th January 2019), sapper (20th January 2019)
Old 19th January 2019

Liked 4,005 Times in 1,835 Posts

Quote:
I retired two years ago, after selling my business...…………..

I am just loving getting out of touch with the modern world, certainly some aspects of it. But the bits I like I am very much in touch with...

One day you might have that pleasure too...………...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Darkroom (19th January 2019), Jax (21st January 2019), Naughty Nigel (20th January 2019), wornish (20th January 2019)
Old 19th January 2019

You have got the scent of blood now, give it your best shot.
Let that pent up rage out, would you be this outspoken face to face, I doubt it.

Laughable if it wasn't so sad
Old 19th January 2019

Liked 4,005 Times in 1,835 Posts

Sorry Tram, not sure who is the most laughable....

Keep cool, we are all friends here..., I enjoy a laugh or two.

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Darkroom (19th January 2019), Jax (21st January 2019), wornish (20th January 2019)
Old 20th January 2019

Liked 3,378 Times in 1,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
How ever did our parents manage in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's without huge supermarkets, deep freezers, mobile phones, credit cards and multi-car ownership?
In the 1950s, we went to the corner shop, no Asian owners then, Spuds came our of an opens sack, as did carrots. The only frozen food, apart from ice creams and (shop-made) ice lollies was peas. There were no such tjhhing as ready meals.

We went to the local bakery (5 minute walk) where the bread and cakes were made, or we could have delivered by horse-drawn van. Milk from the local dairy was delivered by horse-drawn, two-wheeled cart. A bit later on a local lad would go around this houses with his van stocked with veg and (I think) groceries. The local off licence was one of two semi-detached shops, the other being groceries.

Children's clothes were sold by a shop a mile away and we had a very good hardware shop a bit closer. We also had a Cohen's, the small shop precursor of Tesco.

In those days, the law required shops to close at 6pm. Our corner shop operated later via his back door.

My father was a dedicated allotment enthusiast and we kept chickens and rabbits.

Harold
Naughty Nigel (20th January 2019)
Old 20th January 2019

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
In the 1950s, we went to the corner shop, no Asian owners then, Spuds came our of an opens sack, as did carrots. The only frozen food, apart from ice creams and (shop-made) ice lollies was peas. There were no such tjhhing as ready meals.

We went to the local bakery (5 minute walk) where the bread and cakes were made, or we could have delivered by horse-drawn van. Milk from the local dairy was delivered by horse-drawn, two-wheeled cart. A bit later on a local lad would go around this houses with his van stocked with veg and (I think) groceries. The local off licence was one of two semi-detached shops, the other being groceries.

Children's clothes were sold by a shop a mile away and we had a very good hardware shop a bit closer. We also had a Cohen's, the small shop precursor of Tesco.

In those days, the law required shops to close at 6pm. Our corner shop operated later via his back door.

My father was a dedicated allotment enthusiast and we kept chickens and rabbits.

Harold
this!

Same memories, corner shop let you buy stuff on ‘tick’ (written in a book, paid up monthly). There was a van that drove around selling veg, all sold loose from sacks in the back. You lived within your means then. Wish that shops would close at 6.00pm now, same with pubs - ridiculous staying open till 3.00am. No doubt the patrons all moan they can’t afford to get on the housing ladder. No **** Sherlock, you’re spending all your money in the pub and probably not working the next day cos you’re still pissed.

When I got married all we could afford after saving for and getting a house / mortgage was second hand everything. I think we got a new oven as a wedding present but everything else was bought from colleagues at work. I get the impression that nowadays, yes housing is more expensive (despite us paying over 15% interest on our mortgage) but youngsters want to have their cake and eat it too, they can’t possibly exist without a new iPhone every year, got to have Spotify, Netflix. Absolutey must get married in Vegas with the stag do in Dublin..... frankly they need to knuckle down, get saving and not be so bloody entitled. Oh, and the gummint needs to stop throwing money and free housing at feckless young women that spend all their time on their backs and not getting out there and supporting themselves..... just saying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimP For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (20th January 2019), wornish (20th January 2019)
Jax (21st January 2019), Keith-369 (20th January 2019), Naughty Nigel (20th January 2019), wornish (20th January 2019)
Old 20th January 2019

Quote:
........Why not look around and try to see the good things rather than just moan how crap everything is.

You seem to be the one doing just that

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (21st January 2019)