Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 15th July 2018

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
First proper trip with the EM1 - and I have some issues

I took the EM1 to Fairford today, with a total haul of over 2000 photos to work through, but I have some issues so would like some advice here please:

While shooting, on several occasions the EVF would show black as if I had a lens cap on. The screen was definitely working because I could see the settings along the side (aperture, that sorta thing). At least some times it was showing as being set to manual focus, when I had it set to CAF. Pointing the camera at the ground seemed to fix it after a few seconds.

The second issue was when I got back home: I plugged the camera into my PC and the screen pops up to select the connection type. I obviously picked "storage," and the screen says "One Moment." It stays like that. I tried the same a couple of times and with the "MTB" setting. Fortunately my laptop has an SD slot, so I'm moving it to a USB card as I type.

Update: As I typed this, the card slot's stick-worth of images transferred over, but my PC failed to recognise the card, so I'm going to try a shutdown-restart in the hope that fixes it.

dJE
Old 15th July 2018

Liked 249 Times in 156 Posts
Re: First proper trip with the EM1 - and I have some issues

The blank screen problem you describe is usually due to loss of contact between lens and body. Cleaning the contacts will probably help but, if it persists, you may need a repair. Does it happen with all lenses or just one?

It sounds as though your card contacts may be causing a problem too - again, try cleaning.
Old 15th July 2018

Thanks for the reply Mark.

It happened with both lenses I tried it on (an Oly 55-200 f2.8 I've borrowed and a Sigma 55-200 of my own), BUT both were running through an Oly 1.4x teleconverter and a third-market 4/3 to m4/3 converter. It sounds like I need to google how to clean the contacts!

The shut-down restart worked, so I think that issue IS with the USB on my PC.

dJE
Old 15th July 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Good lord, 2000+ images to sort, I wouldn't know where to begin.

It was Henri Cartier-Bresson who said one's first 10,000 'shots' [I doubt he would use the word 'shot' incidentally] are the worst, so you're well on your way to becoming a star!

I use LightRoom and import direct from the SD card. Never had an issue, but I generally have no more than 50 digi shots from a day's photography.

on flickr
Old 15th July 2018

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
It was Henri Cartier-Bresson who said one's first 10,000 'shots' [I doubt he would use the word 'shot' incidentally] are the worst, so you're well on your way to becoming a star!
Yes, Steve - but Cartier-Bresson never took shots of airshows!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
danellis (15th July 2018), RobEW (11th November 2018)
Old 15th July 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Yes, Steve - but Cartier-Bresson never took shots of airshows!
Just think, the Red Arrows and the "decisive moment", or the French equivalent 'The Patrouille Acrobatique de France'! Leica M3 avec le 5cm.

on flickr
Old 15th July 2018

Quote:
Quote:
I use LightRoom and import direct from the SD card. Never had an issue, but I generally have no more than 50 digi shots from a day's photography.
I'm importing them now. A usual day's outing for me is probably 50-200 shots.

I also use Lightroom, principally the pick/rejects flags. My usual process is to go through them initially and "reject" the ones that aren't even worse looking at - obviously out of focus, bits of trees, that sorta thing. In this case I'm hoping to end up with 100-200 images at the end of this stage. I'll then go through again, picking the best versions of multiple singe shots (so if I have say, five versions of three red arrows going from left to right I'd pick the best of them and reject the others. I may choose to do some light processing as I do this pass through. I'll then do the final full edit of whatever's left; obviously rejecting any that deserve it. I need to get better at naming and tagging my images.

Quote:
I've heard the quote before, and I'm also aware of the 10,000 hours to become an expert line.

To my surprise, my LR catalogue's at nearly 28k - but I'm not sure I've put the hours in yet

dJE
Old 16th July 2018

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

Both the 10,000 shots and 10,000 hours assume “mindful practice” - that is, taking advantage of feedback (perhaps self feedback) to assess your performance and therefore take corrective action to improve. Both numbers, of course, are somewhat fanciful and unsubstantiated by any scientific study. But they both make the point that it takes a lot of time and practice to become proficient at something.

I doubt very much that I could process the feedback from each shot at 15 FPS

That said, an hour or two spent shooting an air show, and then the editing and PP time surely counts against your 10,000 hours. And asking questions in forums like this provides feedback both the the OP and other interested readers.
danellis (16th July 2018), RobEW (11th November 2018)
Old 16th July 2018

Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts

Dan - I guess this is on what was my E-M1. I didn't own it long, but never had any problems with it, but as already suggested, it did sound like a contact issue. It would be good to know if/when you sort it out as I'd hate for you to think you were sold a duff camera..
Old 16th July 2018

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danellis View Post
It happened with both lenses I tried it on (an Oly 55-200 f2.8 I've borrowed and a Sigma 55-200 of my own), BUT both were running through an Oly 1.4x teleconverter and a third-market 4/3 to m4/3 converter. It sounds like I need to google how to clean the contacts!

dJE
Think I'd suspect the third party adapter. Also check if the locking lug is fitting in place between the lens/adapter/body. This will cause a screen blackout if not correct.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
stevewestern (16th July 2018)
Old 16th July 2018

Liked 1,804 Times in 669 Posts

I’ve had the same isssue on third party extension tubes.

Contact cleaning sorted it 99% and the remaining issues were due to poor alignment of the contacts when the tube was in place due to a large amount of slack in the mount system. Fiddling around with it I found I could simply give the tubes a slide to the side to get the alignment sorted - tubes have been replaced!
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (11th November 2018)
Old 16th July 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:

At Le Mans last month I took 10,000+ images - just with a smartphone It has a rather ravenous burst mode!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
davy59 (19th July 2018), Ross the fiddler (18th July 2018)
Old 16th July 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
At Le Mans last month I took 10,000+ images - just with a smartphone It has a rather ravenous burst mode!

Ian
Very good, but what's your 'keeper rate'?

I have difficulty exposing and keeping 36 frames, but I generally hit 80%. However, I won't embarrass myself by saying how long it takes me.

Film has had a knock-on affect with my digital work. I'm equally parsimonious but my composition goes to pot for some unknown reason.

on flickr
Old 19th July 2018

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I know exactly how you can get carried away at Fairford! Been there myself there is so much to see and photograph.

I am a some what regular airshow photographer and I now only bring home about 500 -600 shots, it helps me to use Low burst although I use High burst when panning take-off and landings