Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 21st November 2017

Thanked 1,138 Times in 712 Posts
Liked 1,473 Times in 738 Posts
Re: Bloody cars !

OOPS! A quick change of underwear https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...id=mailsignout

Was this with 'all systems' functioning?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 21st November 2017
Administrator

Liked 553 Times in 300 Posts

I thoroughly sympathise with the gremlin attack, it's awful when it happens...

and I agree that many modern cars are made to a budget and designed not last or be repairable

Mind you all that yearning for old technology doesn't mean you don't have problems ... I have 10 posts on my Land Rover blog labelled "breakdowns" https://landroverkaty.blogspot.co.uk...bel/Breakdowns

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 21st November 2017

Liked 2,510 Times in 1,643 Posts

I believe electric power steering is now almost universal on all but the biggest cars. As others have said it is cheaper and lighter than traditional hydraulic systems, and crucially, uses less engine power to drive it.

The idea is that the pump switches off, or to a lower power state at speeds above about 35 MPH when power assistance is not needed, which is not possible with conventional hydraulic systems.

The problem, as you have found, is that modern cars are now totally reliant on electricity, but manufacturers tend to fit the smallest battery that they can to save cost and weight (again).

You might not have noticed but there are certain functions such as screen heaters, seat heaters, power steering and sometimes blower motors that will only work when the battery is charging. That is fine under normal circumstances but a snapped belt means the battery cannot charge so everything shuts down!

Then there are these clever CANBUS systems which control everything in cars nowadays, and start to shut down 'unnecessary' loads such as the blower motor, electric windows and headlights if the battery voltage drops below certain critical values.

When I bought my car it came with a very nice sound system that also allows you to watch TV and DVD's whilst stationary and probably uses quite a lot of power. Like many people I quite enjoy sitting in the car listening to music, but what the Salesman failed to mention is that this clever system shuts down after about fifteen minutes if the engine isn't running to preserve the battery!

Welcome to the 21st Century!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 21st November 2017

Liked 4,002 Times in 1,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post

There is 'technology' and then there is technology for 'technologies sake' , like I said ... I think I'll go looking for a 1960's Land Rover.

Simon
They are a tractor really. I had one thinking it would be fun. No heater, leaked in wet weather, no radio, slow and eventually had to have the engine rebuilt..........

Then bought a Mitsubishi Pajero, was a dream to drive after the Land Rover.......before that engine blew up..........

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
KeithL (21st November 2017), Simon Bee (21st November 2017)
Old 21st November 2017

Liked 1,647 Times in 813 Posts

I had a Mini (original version) that stopped everytime it rained due to water coming through the grill and soaking the distributer cap. The more electronics and associated wiring connections a car has the more targets for it to fail and the battery is the weakest link as everything stops.

How long would people on here expect car to last without some kind of problem, 13 years doesn't sound too bad to be honest. I know its very annoying when it happens.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (21st November 2017)
Old 21st November 2017

Liked 750 Times in 498 Posts

Ah, the Pajero, one of the most embarrassingly named cars ever put on the market....

John
Old 21st November 2017
Administrator

Liked 553 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
I've always wanted a 1960's Land Rover ... I think I'll get one
BTW Simon... if you are serious then come along to the South Wales Land Rover club http://www.swlrc.co.uk/ and have a chat with us... you don't have to have a Land Rover to come along, but you will end up with one to come on road runs... as per my last post they are not perfect, we had 10 breakdowns on the last road run to Anglesey. 4 were my electrical issues, 3 were one of the guys who put free kerosene in his diesel tank which would have been OK if it wasn't dirty and kept blocking his fuel filters, 2 were one of the guys who had radiator hose splits ... ALL fixed on the road and we completed the run successfully

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to shenstone For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (21st November 2017)
Old 21st November 2017

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Electric PAS is all in the cause of energy saving, regulations etc. Manufacturers are chasing the best possible mpg figures. It's been this wayfor a long time though, I had a Fiat 132 in the late 70s which had one of those (then) new-fangled electric fans to save fuel and reduce noise. Then the connection failed on a hot summer day in central London and there I was stuck in traffic with the heater on max and the windows open to try and keep the engine cool! What was wrong with an engine-driven fan we said?

I do sympathise though Simon, that sounds like a nightmare. But cars in general are far safer, more reliable, comfortable and efficient than they were twenty years ago and when they do go wrong, the computer can usually tell the garage what the problem is. I had an intermittent fault in the electronically-controlled gearbox in my Alfa recently which was correctly diagnosed by the ECU as the fault had been logged in the system. An intermittent fault in the ignition system of my Triumph Spitfire in the early 70s took me months to find!
Old 21st November 2017

Liked 4,002 Times in 1,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Ah, the Pajero, one of the most embarrassingly named cars ever put on the market....

John
Similar to The Commodore PET.................

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 21st November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post

John
Oh I don't know. Didn't Toyota produce something called the Enema? I can only think the handling was so evil that it had cathartic properties.

And then there is the Suzuki Vitara, which is a name I somehow expect to see in the porcelain of a lavatory pan or urinal.

Some Germans call BMW's 'Mist Wagons'. The literal translation of Mist from German is 'crap'.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 21st November 2017

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Hmmmmm.

When seat belts were introduced and then made compulsory there were plenty of people demanding the freedom to be maimed by their windscreens and impaled on their steering columns since they said they didn’t like the idea of being trapped in their vehicles. One suspects it was really a combination of hatred of any change plus being told what to do by those ‘faceless bureaucrats’ since being trapped in the car by the seatbelt is enormously rare in comparison with being trapped by something hard approaching your face at 70mph.

Seatbelt legislation has, as predicted, saved millions of lives worldwide and hundreds of millions of public funds in the UK alone.

We do like the freedom to do f-ing daft things that we are used to doing and which give us the illusion of control.

Anyway, one genuine and significant issue during the introduction of driverless vehicles will be sharing the road with drivered vehicles.

The driverless ones communicate with each other so know where the others are and what they are doing and what they plan to do next, so that’s one unknown less. Not only will the drivered cars be unpredictable by the robots, but I anticipate that the Vauxhall Nova-driving yoofs with their baseball caps on backwards will deliberately cut driverless vehicles up because they know they’ll give way. Bernard and Ethel in their chirpy new Apple iCharabanc may not have the serene passage that they anticipated.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 21st November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Oh I don't know. Didn't Toyota produce something called the Enema? I can only think the handling was so evil that it had cathartic properties.

And then there is the Suzuki Vitara, which is a name I somehow expect to see in the porcelain of a lavatory pan or urinal.

Some Germans call BMW's 'Mist Wagons'. The literal translation of Mist from German is 'crap'.
Peugeot 505 GRDT? (GROT is all I ever see).

VW Toe-rag?

Too much Oly gear.
Old 21st November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Hmmmmm.

When seat belts were introduced and then made compulsory there were plenty of people demanding the freedom to be maimed by their windscreens and impaled on their steering columns since they said they didn’t like the idea of being trapped in their vehicles. One suspects it was really a combination of hatred of any change plus being told what to do by those ‘faceless bureaucrats’ since being trapped in the car by the seatbelt is enormously rare in comparison with being trapped by something hard approaching your face at 70mph.

Seatbelt legislation has, as predicted, saved millions of lives worldwide and hundreds of millions of public funds in the UK alone.
Indeed it has. I always felt much more comfortable wearing a seatbelt than without, but they were one of those things a bit like hard hats, dust masks and safety goggles that many people, especially 'yoofs' felt uncomfortable and self conscious wearing.

Oddly enough I fitted 'full harness' seat belts in my old MG that everyone was happy to wear because they were like race/rally seat belts, but the normal three point things were definitely 'uncool'.

And do we remember who was strapping the kiddies into their seatbelts on the UK television adverts? Clunk click every trip and all that!

BTW, the Vauxhall Nova is now a classic car, replaced by the Corsa in 1993!

It was always the Opel Corsa in the rest of Europe, but the Corsa A was for some reason rebadged as the Nova between 1983 and 1993 for the British market only if I recall.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 21st November 2017

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
BTW, the Vauxhall Nova is now a classic car, replaced by the Corsa in 1993!
Goes nicely with those red cords.

Too much Oly gear.
KeithL (21st November 2017), Naughty Nigel (21st November 2017), OM USer (21st November 2017), Ross the fiddler (21st November 2017)
Old 21st November 2017

Liked 133 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
3 were one of the guys who put free kerosene in his diesel tank which would have been OK if it wasn't dirty and kept blocking his fuel filters,
Kerosene has a significantly lower flash point than diesel (35°C min cf 76°min) so is more flammable and also has lower lubricity increasing the wear on fuel pumps etc.
It would also contain customs markers (Solvent yellow 124, & coumarin for kero.) that would show road duty had not been paid on it. If HMC&E had caught him he could have lost his car & faced a fine/imprisonment on top of that...
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (21st November 2017)